Zigbee Device compatibility with ConBee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael

I think this spreadsheet is confusing and very biased. First of all this list is not showing clearly which device is supported by deCONZ or zigbee2mqtt. Also, lots of devices are skipped as being supported by both, like the Smartthings arrival sensor, motion sensors of Xiaomi, weather sensors and several others.

Also there is a suggestion the lights supported by zigbee2mqtt would not be supported by deCONZ, which seems to be a majority of the extra devices you claim to be extra.As a simple one, the Philips lights would not be supported? Or Lightify,Sengled, NanoLeaf, INNR, IKea?I do think you need to review this list.

deCONZ does not have a list of all brands of lights as they support ANY Zigbee lights supporting Zigbee v3, HA 1.2 protocols. And I suppose zigbee2mqqtt does the same.

Don't try to compare apples and pears here?

Both environments are in development and growing. This is good news for users of Zigbee. You do not have to be right, nor do I. We both try to help our users with a quality plugin. That is good. Maybe promote your plugin in your forum instead of using other forums? I am not doing that in your forum either.
    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

The spreadsheet is just a copy/paste of the two supported devices links. deCONZ is at the top and zigbee2mqtt is at the bottom. deCONZ sorted their devices by category and then by vendor. zigbee2mqtt sorted theirs by vendor so it took a little effort to find correlation. I did not edit anything but added the first column that was used to identify which devices were on both lists.

If I look at the page for the deCONZ support I do not see any Smartthings devices listed. I do not doubt that deCONZ supports them, but it looks to me as if they are not listed. Is there a better list for supported deCONZ devices than the one I referenced or is there a different way to interpret the list? I do not need to know for my own benefit, but your guidance would help those who are interested.

I had viewed the JowiHue forum to be the best one to discuss Zigbee and I have learned much by engaging in it. I hope my prodding also helped others learn. In the future I will avoid contributing to the JowiHue forum to honor your wishes. If you have Zigbee irrigation options then please do contribute to the mcsSprinklers forum. You are also welcome to share in any other thread that I participate.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
        If I look at the page for the deCONZ support I do not see any Smartthings devices listed. I do not doubt that deCONZ supports them, but it looks to me as if they are not listed.
        Allow me to promote the JowiHue plugin in the JowiHue forum. I am using 7 SmartThings (Samjin) outlets with deCONZ and they work fine. They mesh well with other devices and act as strong routers.

I read that the new firmware for the CC2531 limits the coordinator to 15 devices under management, down from the initial 20. It seems that is headed in the wrong direction and I wonder about the user that already had 20 sensors networked. Are they left in the cold? Adding router devices can increase that number somewhat, but at the expense of purchasing light bulbs or other mains powered devices that the user may not need or want. deCONZ can have up to 200 devices under management. That is a tenfold difference in robustness.

Group control is another consideration. Zigbee lights can be controlled individually but when controlling more than 1 they are meant to be controlled in groups. If you send 10 commands to 10 different RGB lights you are flooding the network with unnecessary traffic. And your lights are going to look like crap as they all fade off at slightly different times. The CC2531 has only recently enabled limited group control with the latest firmware release. Which, if I understand correctly, is what resulted in the reduction in number of nodes the coordinator can handle from 20 to 15. Considering group control is mandatory in the Zigbee Home Automation profile, I'm surprised it has only recently been addressed. deCONZ on the other hand can control a multitude of groups and scenes and is fully compliant and certified by the Zigbee Alliance for HA1.2, Light Link and 3.0 protocols.

deCONZ gives you the choice of operating on Zigbee channels 11-26, easily configurable with the UI. It also scans all channels and gives a recommendation of the channel with the least interference. That is important with Zigbee due to slower communication speeds (250kbit/s minus packet overhead) potentially across many hops, so you want to keep the repeats, delays and collisions to a minimum.

JowiHue allows you to have as many coordinators as you want. Myself personally I have 3 Hue bridges plus the deCONZ Conbee. JowiHue manages them all and keeps everything organized and updated for me in HS3. With nearly 175 Zigbee devices, this would be quite a chore on my own.

And what about OTAU? deCONZ can handle Over The Air Updates for device firmware from within the GUI. Manufacturers are constantly releasing new firmware to improve their products or fix bugs. JowieHue can upgrade your Philips devices with a single button click and other devices can be flashed from within deCONZ.

To me one of the best features is the deCONZ GUI that shows mesh routes amongst all the devices controlled by deCONZ. When you are working with a large footprint that you are trying to get Zigbee coverage across it can prove to be an invaluable tool. Zigbee can have up to 40 hops from coordinator to endpoint, unlike Z-Wave which is limited to 4 hops. You want a coordinator that is robust enough to handle the mapping of hundreds (or thousands) of routing combinations that may be available.

I don't mean this to be offensive, but I see deCONZ/JowieHue to be a "turn-key" solution for integrating Zigbee with HS3. At this time mcsMQT appears to me as more on the science project scale that shows lots of potential but has a long ways to go to match the user friendliness of deCONZ/JowiHue.

--Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
          If you do not have luck with Conbee then give zigbee2mqtt a try. It’s currently supported decices are https://koenkk.github.io/zigbee2mqtt...d_devices.html and growing as the methodology to grow the list is in the zigbee2mqtt wiki. The Windows/Linux USB interface is $10 and mcsMQTT plugin is free. Zigbee2mqtt is well supported if hand holding is needed.
          Michael--your link is broken (as is the one in post #15). Could you please update it?

Comment

Originally posted by socalsharky View Post

Michael--your link is broken (as is the one in post #15). Could you please update it?
            I think he should do that on his own Plugin Forum.
            It is poor manners & ethics to hijack someone else's Forum and promote his competing product.
            That alone stopped me from even considering his plugin.

I would visit the mcsMQTT plugin forum if I wanted to find out more about his product.

Comment

Michael McSharry logman
              w.vuyk
              (Old thread, I know.)Thank you all for the informative discussion.
              I'm glad I was able to find it here in the HS forum, it helped me immensely with understanding the roles that the various parts play in implementing Zigbee on HS.
              ​​​​​​​I'll get it yet... B-)

​​

Comment

Working...
              X