Bridge not finding lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bridge not finding lights

I could use some advise or guidance. I was trying to transfer lights from a Gen 1 to a Gen 2 bridge. In the process I have lost several lights that were on the new Gen 2 bridge before the transfer process. I have several rooms with groups of 4 lights where only one of the lights can't be found using the iPad Hue App to automatically search or Manually typing in the address. I have cycled power to the bridge and lights several times. I can control 3 of the 4 lights in the room.

I also downloaded the Lampfinder10 program and it will not find the lamps.

Can anyone offer some insight to this?

Devoir

You need to do the lamplink or ‘steal’ the bulbs. The new hub that was attached to those bulbs had the zigbee security key replaced from the one on the old hub. Nothing in the new hub survives the transfer, so steal them and they will show up.

Comment

Bsobel,

I'm not sure I follow "Steal" I don't see a place in the iPad Hue app to do that...

Devoir

Comment

It’s not there but I think jowihue has it as an option

Comment

It’s on the main config page called touchlink. That will let you adopt/steal bulbs assigned to another hub. You will need to bring the bulbs right next to the hub.

Comment

Bsobel,

Many thanks I found the "TouchLink" to 'Steal' Lights..... I will attempt to do this now

Devoir

Comment

OMG that was painful... I followed the instructions the TouchLink did work it correctly captured the address and added it to the system......

Many thanks for the manual....

Touchlink - 'Stealing' lights

An extra button will be shown next to the remove button for Philips Hue Bridges enabling you to include a light that is already registered to another bridge. When using this function you need to be aware that the light will still be known on the ‘old’ bridge. If you move the lights one by one and wait until the plugin recognises the light on the new bridge, the plugin will remove the old light from the old bridge. Warning: do not move more than one light at a time, otherwise the plugin won't keep up anymore. To correctly find a light, hold the light near the bridge and press the touchlink button. If the light blinks, the light is found, another press is then needed to incorparate the light in the bridge.

Devoir

Comment

Originally posted by devoir View Post
                OMG that was painful... I followed the instructions the TouchLink did work it correctly captured the address and added it to the system......

Many thanks for the manual....

Touchlink - 'Stealing' lights

An extra button will be shown next to the remove button for Philips Hue Bridges enabling you to include a light that is already registered to another bridge. When using this function you need to be aware that the light will still be known on the ‘old’ bridge. If you move the lights one by one and wait until the plugin recognises the light on the new bridge, the plugin will remove the old light from the old bridge. Warning: do not move more than one light at a time, otherwise the plugin won't keep up anymore. To correctly find a light, hold the light near the bridge and press the touchlink button. If the light blinks, the light is found, another press is then needed to incorparate the light in the bridge.

Devoir
                Agreed, I blame Philips for not having a mode to swap those pre-linked lights over. The built the hub upgrade because of Apple and assumed it would be purchased standalone, but in many cases it was easier/cheaper to buy it with a set of bulbs. They simply didn't plan for that (I am sure some product manager somewhere is going DOH!)

Comment

So if you have a Philips Hue Remote Dimmer Switch you can take it to the light, hold it less than 6" from the bulb and press the top and bottom buttons simultaneously for 5 - 10 seconds to "unpair" the light and return it to factory state. The light will blink a few times once the process is complete. You can then run "scan for new lights" in the Philips app or deCONZ to rejoin the light to the hub of your choice. For me that's easier than bringing the bulbs near the hub. This feature alone makes the $25 cost of the remote dimmer worth having it on hand.

--Barry

Comment

Originally posted by logman View Post
                    So if you have a Philips Hue Remote Dimmer Switch you can take it to the light, hold it less than 6" from the bulb and press the top and bottom buttons simultaneously for 5 - 10 seconds to "unpair" the light and return it to factory state. The light will blink a few times once the process is complete. You can then run "scan for new lights" in the Philips app or deCONZ to rejoin the light to the hub of your choice. For me that's easier than bringing the bulbs near the hub. This feature alone makes the $25 cost of the remote dimmer worth having it on hand.

--Barry
                    I didn't know about that option, and I agree that $25 is totally worth the not having to move the bulbs to the hub. Just ordered one based on your post, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by bsobel View Post

I didn't know about that option, and I agree that $25 is totally worth the not having to move the bulbs to the hub. Just ordered one based on your post, thank you!
                      It's one of those undocumented cheats buried deep within the bowels of the Philips corporate culture. Why they don't advertise it or, at the very least, mention it with the remote dimmer documentation is beyond me. I've used it several times and it definitely works. Some bulbs are stubborn and you have to try 2 or 3 times, and with those it helps to point the "on" end of the remote directly at the bulb base. But with persistence I've always managed to reset any bulb I've tried.

--Barry

Comment

Working...
                      X