Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilding after a hub failure

Hi,

I don't have this problem and hope never to but would like to know what the recovery process from a hub failure is. If I install a new replacement hub do I need to rebuild everything as well (ie will all my events need to be rebuilt, do I need to re-add all by bulbs with the exact same name to the Hub or is the bulb name stored on the bulb?)

This question may be outside of JowiHue specifically and deal more with how the Hue lights work but hoping you or anyone on here could let me know what to expect and if there is anything I should be doing to back things up. I have not found any way to backup my Hue Hub but would love to know if there is a solution out there.

Thank you!

Same here just wondering.

Also what would be the process if I was to transfer HS3 to a different Windows PC?

My current laptop is running 70% plus on both the CPU and Memory. I'm hoping to get A mini PC in the near furture. My laptop is a 1.4 with 2gb memory.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jbfoster View Post
      Same here just wondering.

Also what would be the process if I was to transfer HS3 to a different Windows PC?

My current laptop is running 70% plus on both the CPU and Memory. I'm hoping to get A mini PC in the near furture. My laptop is a 1.4 with 2gb memory.

Jim
      Regarding the HS3 part:
      Just make a copy of your whole HS3 directory.
      Install HS3 on the new PC
      Then copy your old HS3 directory over the newly installed one.
      There is a free plugin called BLBackup that makes Backup of HS3 easy.

Not sure about the DeConz app, havent tried the backup in it yet, but it does have a built in backup/restore function.

Comment

If there is a bridge hardware failure recovery plan (never tested it to the max). I would follow these steps:
        1. disable the plugin
        2. Make sure the old gateway or bridge is powered off! If ever repaired or powering on, make sure to reset immediatle after powering back on!!
        3. remove the bridge device from HS3 manage devices page
        4. Install the new bridge or gateway
        5. Start the plugin and register the new bridge - the plugin will complain on the old bridge being unreachable and also recreate the old bridge entry
        6. connect all devices back to the new bridge or gateway. With each device connected, the plugin will recognise the device and 'move' its administration.
        If the software of deCONZ gets corrupted, make sure to have a backup. Install the software and restore the backup. Make sure to use the original usb, as the USB seems also to hold some information. I have not yet dealt with a broken USB stick or raspbee yet.....
        -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Thank you for the reply. Do you know if the Hue bridge will recognize the existing bulbs or will I need to re-add them to the hub, using the exact same names? I know this is a more Hue specific question but you definitely know a lot more about how the Hue bridge behaves!

Comment

The (new) Hue bridge will not recognize them as it never saw them as assigend to itself. You will be adding the bulbs as new to this bridge.

It is good you are mentioning a this s I should have told in the original message. The new bridge will add the devices with their default name. eg "White and Color 1" or similar names.

The plugin will find the bulb and will rename the HS3 name to the new device name. This will not cripple your events or scenes. But you will want to rename them back to the original name afterwards..... You can do this easily by renaming the HS3 device back to its orignal name,
            -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Working...
            X