dresden-light.appspot.com ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dresden-light.appspot.com ?

I keep seeing this domain pop up in the list of most requested on my Pi-Hole, after doing a little search it seems it has to do with Hue bulbs and therefore the JowiHue plugin, can someone explain to me why the plugin has to connect to this domain every 5 minutes?

If the local UPNP scan is blocked, the plugin cannot do a find of bridges or gateway. If this is the case, the plugin will do an (hatefull outside) alternative route to dresden-light.appspot,com or the Philips meethue site as the user did not want to enable local UPNP finds of gateway or bridges. And it does this every 5 minutes as you never know when a new bridge is connecting. A user likes to see its new bridge within reasonable time?

Now you know

Wim
    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Ah, thank you for the response and knowledge.

Just one last question, whats the point of scanning for new bridges every 5 minutes if the plugin is already setup? I would assume it would make more sense to scan for bridges if the "Start scan" button was pressed in the "Configuration" page and not continuously.

Thank you in advance <3

Comment

This frequency of checking does not put a load on the HS3 server I think? Even an very low configured machine does not spike on it - I was using a Pico until a year ago and I could not see any issues with this?

Oher then that, it is ment to find an extra bridge in reasonabe time. Don't think this is an issue? It is checking for a bridge and it does not put a real load on the network? Why bother?
        -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

Comment

Thank you for the replies. Any chance you can disable that in the next update, just seems wasteful to call on a website every 5 minutes when it's not even being used. I hope its not a big ask, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance <3

Comment

Sorry, but this function is to help users find the bridges fast. And it does not overload the network at all. I need it to stay this way.
            As I said earlier, enabling UPNP on your router will get rid of this outside call and keep all calls internal.

Wim
            -- Wim

Comment

Working...
            X