Zigbee Extender?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zigbee Extender?

I'm finding that some of my Xiaomi temp/humidity sensors are not staying connected or reconnecting after a reboot of the RPi3 with RaspBee. Is there a recommended Zigbee extender?

Thanks,

Jim

I have had good results from these:
    https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30400407/

Comment

Originally posted by mikepetro View Post
      I have had good results from these:
      https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30400407/
      Does it join the Zigbee network just like any other device?

Comment

I have good luck with these SmartThings outlets... They pair well with deCONZ and they are strong repeaters. Plus you can get dual use as a switched outlet when needed. Also, any Philips Hue bulb is an excellent repeater. Simply by their location (high and center of a room), bulbs are hard to beat as repeaters. Note however not every brand acts as a repeater (such as Sengled) and some are weak repeaters (such as OSRAM).

--Barry

Comment

Xiaomi devices are known to be prone of dropping from the mesh and needing to reconnect. The currently available devices don't actually follow the ZigBee ZHA standard and are non-compliant which is why a lot of other hubs do not support them natively. The support is added via community drivers/apps (Hubitat, SmartThings). There's been work of using XBee modules for repeaters and as others have said they have good luck with different powered Zigbee devices as repeaters. But this topic of Xiaomi devices dropping from the network is not new nor specific to deCONZ or any other standard Zigbee coordinator.....

Comment

Originally posted by AutomatedJim View Post

Does it join the Zigbee network just like any other device?
            Yes, the ones circled in red are all the Tradfri USB Repeaters.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	1300668

Comment

And i think this is the worst sensors i had (temp/humidity) . It was always unreachable.

It is now in the garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post
                Xiaomi devices are known to be prone of dropping from the mesh and needing to reconnect. The currently available devices don't actually follow the ZigBee ZHA standard and are non-compliant which is why a lot of other hubs do not support them natively. The support is added via community drivers/apps (Hubitat, SmartThings). There's been work of using XBee modules for repeaters and as others have said they have good luck with different powered Zigbee devices as repeaters. But this topic of Xiaomi devices dropping from the network is not new nor specific to deCONZ or any other standard Zigbee coordinator.....
                I have had my mesh established for 4 months now., I use a lot of Xiaomi devices. Had 1-2 sensors drop and i had to add them back in, but that was before I made a solid mesh network.

What I discovered is if you pair you xiaomi device to the GW, the Xiamoi devices wont let go of that pairing even if you move the sensor out of range. Xiamoi is loath to switch pairing associations.

For Xiaomi I have the best results establishing a good mesh, and then Joining the xiaomi device from the exact location it will be located at, even if it has to jump through a repeater to get to the GW.

In this mesh you will notice Xiamoi sensor linked to Tradfri Repeaters. The ones highlight in yellow are Xiamoi, all going to the repeaters en-route to the GW.

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1300674

Comment

mikepetro then from your results and map it seems like a clear plan to pair Xiaomi devices "in place" to ensure they use a nearby repeater. Good information and thanks for sharing with everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post
                    mikepetro then from your results and map it seems like a clear plan to pair Xiaomi devices "in place" to ensure they use a nearby repeater. Good information and thanks for sharing with everyone.
                    Yes, Mike is exactly right. I have probably 35-40 Xiaomi devices deployed across 2 separate Conbee's and joining them where they are going to reside is definitely the way to go. Not always convenient to do because the Phoscon mobile app doesn't provide the ability to add sensors. So I just put the desktop version of Phoscon in add mode and then wait to put the device into inclusion once I'm at the location. If you join them to the coordinator and then try to move them to a new home, it's as if they are hooked on the mother's milk and refuse to wean away (sort of like one of my cousins, but that's a whole 'nuther story ).

--Barry

Name:	network.png
Views:	3391
Size:	501.2 KB
ID:	1300677

Comment

So considering the Xiaomi devices are already deployed and I deployed them from one spot in the house, not where they currently are.

What would be my plan to get them routing properly?

1) Put in the repeaters
                      2) Delete the Xiaomi devices that are not or have problems communicating, then add them back?

I would rather not take them out of Homeseer if possible. Is there a way to remove them from the RPi3 with RaspBee, add them back where they always are and still associate them with the current HS3 devices?

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

Try this :

Turn off jowihue. Remove device from deconz, and reset it.

Add the device back with the exact same name. turn on jowihue.

This worked for me, but would like to know what w.vuyk think of it

Comment

So disable plugin, remove from deconz. How do I reset the Xiaomi device?

Add it back in deconz except I don't remember ever naming the device there, only in HS3.

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

Anyone considered using one of these devices?

https://smartenit.com/product/zbre/

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
                              Anyone considered using one of these devices?

https://smartenit.com/product/zbre/
                              That's expensive compared to the Ikea TRÅDFRI Signal repeater device. If they both function the same, I'd rather go with the Ikea device.

Comment

Working...
                              X