Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to Create Virtual Philips Hue Device?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kenm
    replied
    socalsharky ,

What you want to do can be done outside of this plugin. You'll need to run ha-bridge somewhere on your network. posted the link above. It runs fine on a Raspberry Pi or even alongside HS on the same computer.

Once you have ha-bridge running, you simply create a virtual device in HS, make sure to set "Is dimmable" on the configuration tab, then go to the ha-bridge webpage, and add the new virtual device. Next, create whatever HS events you want to control your "real" lights based off of the changes to the virtual device. Test those events and make sure they are doing what you want BEFORE you start using the Harmony. It makes it way less confusing. Finally, add the fake bridge (i.e. the one created by ha-bridge) to your MyHarmony setup and assign the virtual device to the automation buttons on the remote. Test again, this time using the Harmony remote.

Let me know if you have any questions or need a hand getting it setup. I have this running in a home theatre and I use a single virtual device to control the dim level of six LED bulbs at once. Works great.

Ken

Leave a comment:

• w.vuyk
    replied
    I doubt if the Harmony remote would address a light that is ureachable, as the plugin would also respond to that. On the bridge itself it is not really possible to create a virtual light that could be controlled by an external device. There are possibilities maybe by using the CLIP sensors, but I believe these are only to be change internaly on the bridge, not externally.

But I have seen a plugin for the harmony remote in the past, isn't that an option for you?

Wim

Leave a comment:

• upstatemike
    replied
    Maybe it would be worthwhile to pick up a low end ($10) white Hue bulb to test your plan. In other words use a cheap physical device in place of the virtual one. If it all works the way you want you can try unplugging the Hue bulb and see if the logic from Harmony still works when the bulb is offline. Also maybe there is a way to assign the bulb to a Hue scene and leverage that somehow?

Leave a comment:

• socalsharky
    replied
    Originally posted by rprade View Post
    This virtual light or dummy device would have to exist on the bridge in order to be acted upon by the Logitech remote.
    I believe you are correct. I understand that this would not happen within the plugin, but I was hoping someone else had figured out a way to create a virtual device on the bridge. Lutron Radio RA2 for instance allows what they call phantom switches to be created within their software environment.

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    Originally posted by socalsharky View Post

I would like to create a virtual bulb or switch within the Philips Hue environment. I assume that it would need to be on the bridge, so that the PI could be used to control this virtual bulb. HS3 could then track the status of this virtual bulb, and trigger events off of it. The end goal is to use my Harmony remote to control Lutron Radio RA2 devices, which it cannot do natively. Thanks!
    OK. This is something that Wim will have to address. I don't think it can be done because the Logitech remote talks to the Hue bridge, not the plug-in. A virtual device created by the plug-in would only exist within HomeSeer, not on the bridge. This virtual light or dummy device would have to exist on the bridge in order to be acted upon by the Logitech remote.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    are you talking about ha-bridge here? https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge

If yes, you can't add that emulated bridge into the jowihue plugin.

I never played with logitech on ha-bridge side... but i guess you'll neeed to program the ha -bridge to send a ''HTTP GET'' command to the hs3 json api.

Harmony Names and IP Addresses

Provide IP Addresses of your Harmony Hubs that you want to utilize with the bridge. Also, give a meaningful name to each one so it is easy to decipher in the helper tab. When these names and IP's are given, the bridge will be able to control the activity or buttons by the call it receives and send it to the target Harmony Hub and activity/button you configure. Also, an option of webhook can be called when the activity changes on the harmony hub that will send an HTTP GET call to the the address of your choosing. This can contain the replacement variables of ${activity.id} and/or ${activity.label}. Example : http://192.168.0.1/activity/${activity.id}/${activity.label} OR http://hook?a=${activity.label}

Leave a comment:

• socalsharky
    replied
    Originally posted by rprade View Post
    Can you be more specific? A virtual device that you create can be used with any “system”.
    I would like to create a virtual bulb or switch within the Philips Hue environment. I assume that it would need to be on the bridge, so that the PI could be used to control this virtual bulb. HS3 could then track the status of this virtual bulb, and trigger events off of it. The end goal is to use my Harmony remote to control Lutron Radio RA2 devices, which it cannot do natively. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    Can you be more specific? A virtual device that you create can be used with any “system”.

Leave a comment:

• socalsharky
    started a topic Possible to Create Virtual Philips Hue Device?

Possible to Create Virtual Philips Hue Device?

Is it possible to create a virtual device within the Philips Hue system? I would like to do this in order to create a better link between my Logitech remote (which can control Hue devices) and HS3 via the JowiHue PI.
Working...
X