How Many Hue Hubs Are Supported?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Many Hue Hubs Are Supported?

I know the answer must already be in here someplace but I can't seem to find it. How many Hue hubs can JowieHue support?

Hi upstatemike ,

While I don't have the answer for you I had to tell you this made me chuckle. Is this a theoretical question or are you looking at a full scale build-out using only Philips Hue products? Simple math says 2x hubs = 100 bulbs @ $40/each or $4k in bulbs alone.

The reason it made me chuckle is because of a story my Porsche mechanic once told me. Someone called him up and asked how long they could drive their 911 turbo with the low oil pressure indicator lit. He said "It depends on how much money you have".

Back to the math... Since the plugin can support a Conbee gateway that can support 200 devices I suspect it's safe to say that 4 hubs should work.

I'm sure Wim will be able to give you a technical answer.

Sorry, just had to share.
    Ken
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

100 bulbs might sound like a lot but I have a single light fixture that takes 10 bulbs so they add up quickly.

I am actually more concerned about gaps in the mesh between various locations. Rather than try to bridge the gaps with Zigbee devices I want to just dedicate a hub to the devices in each separate area. I already have network cables in all areas so wiring up additional hubs is no problem if the plugin will handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
        100 bulbs might sound like a lot but I have a single light fixture that takes 10 bulbs so they add up quickly.

I am actually more concerned about gaps in the mesh between various locations. Rather than try to bridge the gaps with Zigbee devices I want to just dedicate a hub to the devices in each separate area. I already have network cables in all areas so wiring up additional hubs is no problem if the plugin will handle it.
        No worries... The plugin can handle it. I'm currently using 9 Hue hubs plus 1 Conbee and I will be adding a second Conbee soon. Five of the Hue hubs are dedicated to the Man Cave to provide music-synced light shows using the Hue Entertainment feature. Hue limits the number of bulbs assigned to an Entertainment room to 10, so a work around is to add multiple hubs and then sync all the lights in each Entertainment room together using Light DJ Pro software running on an iPad. Between the 50 hue lights and 3 large Nanoleaf displays, it makes for quite a light show.

The other 4 Hue hubs are spread out around the house (like you are wanting to do) and each hub has around 50 - 60 lights joined to it. I mostly use the Conbee to control Zigbee sensors, but I do have around 25 bulbs and a dozen plugin switches joined to the Conbee to act as repeaters for the sensors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jowihue_config.png
Views:	389
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	1311487

--Barry

Comment

Barry being the proof of it, there are theoretically no limits for the plugin.
          Ofcourse at some point the plugin mitght start taking a performance hit when to many bridges are connected, but we have not yet seen the limit so far...

I have here two philips bridges and a RaspBee and ConBee II running without issues so far.

Wim
          -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Originally posted by logman View Post

No worries... The plugin can handle it. I'm currently using 9 Hue hubs plus 1 Conbee and I will be adding a second Conbee soon. Five of the Hue hubs are dedicated to the Man Cave to provide music-synced light shows using the Hue Entertainment feature. Hue limits the number of bulbs assigned to an Entertainment room to 10, so a work around is to add multiple hubs and then sync all the lights in each Entertainment room together using Light DJ Pro software running on an iPad. Between the 50 hue lights and 3 large Nanoleaf displays, it makes for quite a light show.

The other 4 Hue hubs are spread out around the house (like you are wanting to do) and each hub has around 50 - 60 lights joined to it. I mostly use the Conbee to control Zigbee sensors, but I do have around 25 bulbs and a dozen plugin switches joined to the Conbee to act as repeaters for the sensors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jowihue_config.png
Views:	389
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	1311487

--Barry
            Perfect examples to cover everything I would ever want to do, Thanks! And thanks Wim for the confirmation.

Coincidence as I am typing this the ten Hue bulbs in my home office just flashed a couple of times in sync with a lightning flash detected by my Weatherflow weather station. First time that event has been triggered since I set it up the other day.

Comment

Working...
            X