Feature Request: Remote Button Action Editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Request: Remote Button Action Editor

Much like adding/editing Groups from the plugin, it would be great to be able to edit the actions for remote buttons on devices such as the Hue Dimmer Switch and the Tap. I don't know how much work would be involved in adding this but I'd be willing to pay an upgrade fee for this ability.

Thanks for considering this.
    Ken
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Ken,

The actions for remotes buttons can be set with events I think? That is how I use the remotes?
    I do not see what you want to do differently?

Wim
    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

I am not sure too, but do you mean to be able to link the remote directly to a deconz ( zigbee) device, directly from the plugin, instead of associate them from phoscon /deconz api?

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
        Ken,

The actions for remotes buttons can be set with events I think? That is how I use the remotes?
        I do not see what you want to do differently?

Wim
        Hi Wim,

Maybe I don't understand how the Hue Dimmer Switch works then. In the Hue app (and the iconnecthue app, which I now use) I can edit the actions of each button on the dimmer switch and have that information saved in the Hue bridge. I'd like to have the edit/save functionality added to the plugin.

Does that make more sense now?

Thanks,
        Ken
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Yes, you are pointing to the rules that those apps creates. This is only available on the bridges/gateways and does not go outside Zigbee.
          The plugin does not work this way, it will create a dimmer device on HS#. With events you can respond to the differant values of the device and control "any" otehr (non-zigbee and zigbee) device with it. So using rules would limit the possibilities, that is why the plugin does not support rules.

I am not planning to use the rules functionality on the bridge as HS3 events are by far more powerfull then the rules.

Wim
          -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

Comment

Fair enough. I kind of got used to Z-Wave being able to control devices without HS running just as a safety net and was looking for something similar with the Hue setup. I understand and agree that HS3 event triggers with the remote is much more powerful.

Thanks,
            Ken

Comment

You can do this with the hue app and/or the iconnecthue apps as a backup. I believe you can also deactivate there and activate it if a disaster happens with HS3. The only issue that remains ofcours that you would be limited to Zigbee only devices. But this could be a perfect disaster backup scenario.
              Also for those using the deCONZ configurations, in Phoscon you can find the switch configurator (which in fact creates rules on the gateway) that can also be used for (ZigBee only) backup for HS3 disasters.

*knocking wood* never needed it here yet
              -- Wim

Comment

Thanks Wim. For now, I've decided to set the Hue Dimmer rules on the bridge using the iconnecthue app and use that as the backup in case HS is down (agree, knocking wood). I'm then going to use an Aeotec Wallmote Z-Wave controller to trigger events in HS to set Hue scenes via the plugin.

One thing I did observe while testing out scene triggering with both the Hue and Aeotec remotes is that there's a significant delay (more than a second) when using the Hue remote that doesn't happen with the Aeotec when triggering an event. Does the plugin have to poll the Hue remote?

Thanks,
                Ken

Comment

Ken,

The Philips Hue bridges only allow for polling for updates, so there is a delay.
                  deCONZ allows using a webhoook, so for this gateway the response is immediate. So if you are depending on responsetime, deCONZ is the better choise.

Wim
                  -- Wim

Comment

Thanks Wim. I actually just ordered a Conbee II to experiment with deCONZ since I'm looking at installing Zigbee downlighting in our kitchen during an upcoming remodel. I'll probably utilize a remote of some kind for those lights so I'll be able to take advantage of the fast response time with deCONZ.

Ken

Comment

Sounds good, it enables you to do some testing. Make sure to also move the Hue dimmer to the ConBee, you'll see that the response is going to be a lot faster, thanks to the webhook usage
                      -- Wim

Comment

Ken,

Did you ever try the Aeotec Wallmote Z-Wave controller vs. the Hue dimmer to control lighting, and could you comment on lag / reaction speeds?

Thanks,

Pete

Comment

little off topic... but trying to control hue bulbs ( in a group_ was a little laggy with a lutron remote.

Since lutron use somewhat a frequency near of the on of z wave... maybe it would be the same.

But .. never tried to control a z wave or lutron lights with a zigbee remote.

Comment

Working...
                          X