Why can't the plugin do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why can't the plugin do this?

I've been experimenting with both the plugin and an app called HueDynamic. It seems that with the app I can reliably set actions for the dimmer buttons such as press, hold, short release and long release. Apparently these settings are stored in the bridge via the app, so they work reliably. Would it not be better to use the same method within the plugin to configure the remote buttons then poll the bridge for changes? Is that even possible?

At present the Huedynamic app gives me reliable button presses and allows me to use all 4 buttons to act as toggle switches for lights, which I don't see that ability in the plugin.

If the plugin would store this in the bridge, it would no longer be able to control any other device (like zwave devices) in HS3. The way it is implemented now, you can control any other device in HS3.
    If you want to use the switch as 'toggle' device you can solve this by using HS3 events?
    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
      If the plugin would store this in the bridge, it would no longer be able to control any other device (like zwave devices) in HS3. The way it is implemented now, you can control any other device in HS3.
      If you want to use the switch as 'toggle' device you can solve this by using HS3 events?
      I thought that might be the case.
      I'm not sure we can setup a toggle, but I'm new to the plugin.

So for example, using the app, I can set my hallway light to turn on when I push the on button on the dimmer, then I push on again and it goes off. With homeseer I'd have to create an event that checked the status of the light first, and if its on then turn light off, and if its off turn light on.
      I'm assuming I'd need two seperate events because homeseer doesn't allow else. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The other thing the app let's me do, for example, is reliably control two or more lights from the same button. But to avoid the first light coming on with the first press, I can set the first light to come on on short release, and the second light on long release. Not sure the plugin works relibly like this from what I've read.

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm trying to limit the amount of apps/software required for setting all this stuff up as it's a nightmare when stuff goes down. I can use the app side by side with the plugin but I feel it's messy.

Comment

event 1

IF dimmerswitch is SET to ON
        AND Light is ON(very important for toggle)
        then set light to OFF
        THEN set Light2. 3, 4 as many as you like to OFF

event 2
        IF dimmerswitch is set to ON
        AND light is OFF
        THEN set light to ON

And so on for Short press, long press and alll other presses, please check the properties, Graphics tab for the possibilities?

This is responding instantly when using deCONZ
        And trust me, internally on the bridge is not different?
        -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

Comment

I've not tested thoroughly but it seems to vary on the bridge in response time. Sometimes instant other times a slight delay.

Reading through the forum, it talks about deConz/ conbee bridge. Do that remove the need for ALL polling?

Comment

Updates are send by webhook so polling is not needed. Tow be 100% sure the [plugin still polls in case something is missed, but as far I know this should not be needed anymore.
            But the challenge is that deCONZ supports lesser hue apps, so if you depend on specific external apps,deCONZ might be less interesting,

I noticed that Philips.Signify is now also working on webhook, which would mean that also the Philips Hue bridge might be less dendant on polling in the near future.... Philips did not giv a timeframe for this BTW....

Wim
            -- Wim

Comment

Working...
            X