Hue Switch Battery not showing updated date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hue Switch Battery not showing updated date

I just noticed that my Hue Switch Battery is not showing that it updated yet the root is. I've posted everything I can think of below. Thanks.

ZLLSwitch

**************************** Object info *****************************
    {
    "state": {
    "buttonevent": 1002,
    "lastupdated": "2019-09-09T02:11:06"
    },
    "config": {
    "on": true,
    "battery": 100,
    "pending": [],
    "reachable": true
    },
    "name": "Home Theater Hue Switch",
    "type": "ZLLSwitch",
    "modelid": "RWL020",
    "manufacturername": "Philips",
    "swversion": "5.45.1.17846",
    "uniqueid": "00:17:88:01:04:ed:37:9c-02-fc00"
    }
    ************************* End Object info ***************************

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 5.45.06 PM.png
Views:	375
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1326583Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 5.44.47 PM.png
Views:	337
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1326584Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 5.49.43 PM.png
Views:	347
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1326585

The battery device itself is not updating as it still is what it was, 100%. This is also shown in the JSON which is holding the bridge values.
    For many battery driven sensors or switches that use Zigbee, battery life is very good.
    The root device will update if any of its child devices are updated. In your case - the switch device did change, causing the root device to update as well.

Wim
    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

I see, that's what I suspected.

I have "Do not update device last change time if device value does not change" checked off so I thought the battery device would update the date and time even if the battery level did not change but it appears the plugin isn't updating the device?

Is there anyway you can update the date and time on the battery device when checked, even if the amount of battery life has not changed?

I use a plugin called SDJ-Health that monitors all battery powered devices. It looks not only at the battery level, warning me of low battery, but also at battery devices that haven't reported status in a while.

Knowing that a battery device hasn't changed date/time lets me know when a battery level is not reporting and to check the device as it could have a depleted battery.

Thanks.

Comment

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Comment

Simon,

Not sure if this would confuse others. I will consider this, although I think the SDJ-Health plugin is overdoing it or should add a check for the complete picture. The main device is updating, so the battery is obviously working. It would be different when both main as battery device are not updating.

Wim
          -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

Comment

As a point of reference - all other battery powered devices, such as aeon labs multi sensors, that I have in the home all update the date and time stamp even if the battery level remains unchanged. That seems to be the standard approach, and the reason why homeseer provides an option "Do not update device last change time if device value does not change:" in case someone does not want it to update.

SDJ Health performs an important function in my setup - it allows me to monitor all of the batteries and provide warnings when they get low. But it goes further and checks to see when the battery was last checked. I have had situations when batteries drained quickly and stopped reporting so it is important to see the update date. Thanks.

Comment

Wim,
              I would also like you to consider this possibility. I have the same situation described by Simon and it is a bit inconvenient to be constantly getting push messages from SDJHealth plugin just because Wakeup Missed.

Comment

I disabled that check in SDJHealth for those devices to get rid of the messages. That is one thing that is very nice about SDJHealth, lots of device level options. But it is a nice feature to have, because some devices do just die rather than report low battery first.

The field is labeled "last change". But the Homeseer folks have decided to change that meaning by the addition of the "Do not update device last change time if device value does not change:" flag which is NOT the default setting. So they have changed the default meaning to "last reported" but left the name of the field "last changed" and added the ability to override the default behavior to make it "last change".

Comment

I have disabled the check as well. The homeseer implementation is a little confusing, I agree. I suppose it would be easier if they broke it into two fields - last updated and last change. But for now I am not able to monitor the battery so have to manually check on it. Another option would be for SDJ-Health to ignore missed wakeuips on certain devices but still monitor for low battery level.

Comment

The challenge I see with updating by the plugin, while nothing changed is that you get the impression the battery is working. But is not proven. All you can be sure of is that the plugin still sees the battery value being reported. I have here several motion sensors coming from IKEA that just die at 47% battery value. A bug in deCONZ I am sure of. But if the plugin would update the last updated field no matter what, I would skip checking those devices while scrolling through the battery devices (I do this by script and also with Easytrigger here)

On the other hand I have a load of Philips motion sensors that have been reporting 1% and even 0% for several months, before they would really give up. If I only check on battery value here, I would run to the store to replace them. But the main sensors for motion/light and temperature were still updating. You can call me Dutch here but then I wait till the last drop has been used (making sure no disasters can happen when batteries are out of course)

So I still think the SDJHealth should check on both battery and main device to be able to conclude a battery might have died. Only basing this on a battery value and last update time is not a 100% assurance the battery is dead indeed. My Philips motion sensors update their battery status only once a year when they are new - it takes a year to go from 100% to 99%.... once they get there, it might be once per month.

BTW the plugin also does write a warning on daily basis if batteries reach low level (10%):

Code:
                     [TABLE="cellspacing: 0"]
                    [TR]
                    [TD="align: left"][COLOR=#054C93]sep-26 13:54:46[/COLOR][/TD]
                     			[TD="align: left"] [/TD]
                     			[TD="colspan: 3, align: left"][COLOR=#054C93]JowiHue[/COLOR][/TD]
                     			[TD="colspan: 8, align: left"][COLOR=#054C93]Warning: Battery of Arrival sensor is reporting low (1%), consider replacing battery.[/COLOR][/TD]
                     		[/TR]
                    [/TABLE]
                    I suggest I will make a change to the plugin where you can set an option to update the battery device once per day. This way you can use it when you feel it is needed.
                    Does this sound good to you?

Wim
                    -- Wim

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
                      So I still think the SDJHealth should check on both battery and main device to be able to conclude a battery might have died. Only basing this on a battery value and last update time is not a 100% assurance the battery is dead indeed. My Philips motion sensors update their battery status only once a year when they are new - it takes a year to go from 100% to 99%.... once they get there, it might be once per month.
                      Wim,

For information the SDJ-Health pi does check all the devices that are grouped with a battery child for activity not just the battery child. I don't have any JowiHue devices so I don't know the details of how they are set up or represented in HS. However, if using activity monitoring in SDJ-Health, it checks for activity of the root/parent and all child devices of the root device that the battery is a child of, not just the battery.

I haven't monitored this discussion so I don't know the relevance of this. If somebody wants to start a thread in the SDJ-Health subforum on monitoring these devices I can look into it in more detail.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by simonmason View Post
                        Another option would be for SDJ-Health to ignore missed wakeuips on certain devices but still monitor for low battery level.
                        You can override the global checking and monitoring options for individual devices in SDJ-Health. So if you want a particular device to ignore missed wake-ups but still monitor levels it is easy to do. Post in the SDJ-Health subforum if you are unsure how to do this.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post

Wim,

For information the SDJ-Health pi does check all the devices that are grouped with a battery child for activity not just the battery child. I don't have any JowiHue devices so I don't know the details of how they are set up or represented in HS. However, if using activity monitoring in SDJ-Health, it checks for activity of the root/parent and all child devices of the root device that the battery is a child of, not just the battery.

I haven't monitored this discussion so I don't know the relevance of this. If somebody wants to start a thread in the SDJ-Health subforum on monitoring these devices I can look into it in more detail.

Steve
                          Steve,

Thanks for joining in. If you say dead battery checks are already including the checks on last updates of other child devices in the device groups, then it should already work? Wonder why it does not work for the JowiHue battery devices. Normally a battery device is just part of a parent/child set, which follows the normal HS3 structure. I'll add a simple image of a device here:

Name:	2019-09-27 16_40_10-Huis van Wim en Joy.png
Views:	308
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1329256

Is it possible (did not yet use your plugin before, so just do not know) that a battery check needs some extra configuration to include all devices?

Wim
                          -- Wim

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post

Steve,

Thanks for joining in. If you say dead battery checks are already including the checks on last updates of other child devices in the device groups, then it should already work? Wonder why it does not work for the JowiHue battery devices. Normally a battery device is just part of a parent/child set, which follows the normal HS3 structure. I'll add a simple image of a device here:

Name:	2019-09-27 16_40_10-Huis van Wim en Joy.png
Views:	308
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1329256

Is it possible (did not yet use your plugin before, so just do not know) that a battery check needs some extra configuration to include all devices?

Wim
                            Wim,

Thanks for this. SDJ-Health was initially written for monitoring ZWave battery devices by detecting the wake-up messages in the log but as it developed I added other ways of detecting whether a battery device was still alive including Activity Monitoring. The pi gets the parent device from the battery child and then checks all the Child Devices of the Parent. Your screenshot looks like a conventional group so if it isn't working on these devices then there is likely a bug in my pi. It's a bit difficult to debug without a device so if someone who uses your pi and SDJ-Health were to contact me I could send them a version with some additional debugging code to see what is going on.

Steve

Comment

simonmason nunoary bdickhaus

You have this plugin already active now, any volunteers here for Steve?
                              If you need any help from me in tracing, let me know, I can work with you

​​​​​​​Wim
                              -- Wim

Comment

Working...
                              X