Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Devices rename themselves back, kind of...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devices rename themselves back, kind of...

I've just done a new install with a Conbee 2, latest deCONZ, latest Jowihue plugin and latest Homeseer, on a windows machine.
    When I scan a new temperature sensor or any other device, the sensor is imported with names like;

Temperature 15 (root)
    Battery Temperature 15
    Temperature 15
    Humidity 16
    Pressure 17

I then rename the the root to Aqara Multisensor, Battery Temperature 15 to just Battery and the rest I just remove the numbers from the end.

Within a few minutes some of the devices rename themselves randomly, for example, last time I tried it the root device renamed itself to Pressure 15 and the Battery renamed itself to Battery Temperature. Completely random nonsense.

I've tried three times to rename some temp sensors and the Ikea Tradfri remote, but all of them get either renamed back or renamed to random crap.
    I've give up trying for now.

My Versions:

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10
    2.1.0.6: JowiHue
    deCONZ 2.05.70

Originally posted by SmartyPants View Post
    I then rename the the root to Aqara Multisensor, Battery Temperature 15 to just Battery and the rest I just remove the numbers from the end.

Within a few minutes some of the devices rename themselves randomly, for example, last time I tried it the root device renamed itself to Pressure 15 and the Battery renamed itself to Battery Temperature.
    This has been an ongoing issue for quite a while now. Not sure if it's just an issue with Xiaomi Aqara sensors, or if it extends to other brands. I only have the Aqaras. What's weird is sometimes, with much persistence, the renaming will stick after many attempts. But I have one Vibration sensor that I cannot get the Battery device or the Root device rename to stick. It's not a critical thing so I have just put it on the back burner. After all, you gotta pick your battles with this HA stuff But it would be nice if this could be resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by teladog01 View Post

This has been an ongoing issue for quite a while now. Not sure if it's just an issue with Xiaomi Aqara sensors, or if it extends to other brands. I only have the Aqaras. What's weird is sometimes, with much persistence, the renaming will stick after many attempts. But I have one Vibration sensor that I cannot get the Battery device or the Root device rename to stick. It's not a critical thing so I have just put it on the back burner. After all, you gotta pick your battles with this HA stuff But it would be nice if this could be resolved.
      I had it with the Ikea tradfri remote also so it is maybe that deconz/phoscon and jowihue are fighting for top stop 🤔

Comment

I have seen deCONZ rename a device to a generic name after a device reset and/or rediscovery. I'm not sure why it does this. I have also seen, often on startup, that JowiHue is renaming a device to the more generic deCONZ default, even though up until that point, the device was the new name in deCONZ. It is like JowiHue is remembering the original name assigned by deCONZ and not the name I changed it to.

Comment

I see this issue mostly with parent devices. A workaround I have found is to rename the device on the device configuration tab and then also rename the device on the JowiHue tab. Don't close the device properties page until it has been renamed in both places. Normally the name change will then be permanent.

Note the "Root" device will rename itself to the new parent device name, and if there is a battery device it will rename to "Battery" + the parent device name.

--Barry

Comment

Barry is right, the root and battery devices get the name of the main sensor (or light for lights). The other devices should be renamed on the JowiHue tab. Renaming the device on the configuration should work also, but somehow I seem to miss some event coming from deCONZ, causing the rename back to the original deCONZ name. Will try to dive into this so it will be more reliable. In HS4 the naming will change on a different level - only the main device will be renamed, no longer the sub devices (or features as it ill be called)

Wim
            -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Sounds like the move from HS3 to HS4 will be at least as painful as the move from HS2 to HS3. Sigh.

Comment

Working...
              X