Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tradfri 5 button remote loses connectivity

Hi,

I set up a Tradfri 5 button remote, and got it working nicely with Homeseer events (thanks to some help from people on the forum here).

Unfortunately, it is hopelessly unreliable - under Device management the button presses are only rarely picked up. It doesn't seem to be a range issue - doesn't work held within a couple of metres of my Conbee II. Overall the range of my zigbee is good - working well with Xiaomi temperature sensor and button at fairly distant locations by comparison.

I haven't worked out a reliable way of making it reconnect. But occasionally it does start working, but then next time I go to use it, it isn't working again.

I'd appreciate some ideas - I'm new to the zigbee world, with most o fmy house on z-wave. I was excited about th epotential for zigbee, but this isn't giving me a good experience.

Thanks,

Dave

I have two of these remotes here. One was not updated since september this year. I checked it by pressing a button once and it updated immediatly, using deCONZ 2.05.71 here.
    Where did you connect the remote to deCONZ? Was that in the same area where you are using the remote, or was it on a different spot maybe?

You can check the deCONZ screen, to see which router (bulb/plug/repeater) the remote is connect to, is it in range of where you are using the remote now? If you are out of range, it might have an instable connection?

Wim
    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Thanks Wim.

The Tradfri remote is in the same location as when I connected it. But I only have a couple of ZigBee devices at the moment, so no mesh - deConz is showing it connected directed to the Conbee.

But I might have found the issue. The battery was showing 60% in Homeseer, and measured 3.05V. Despite being new out of the box a week prior. Anyway, I put in a new one with voltage over 3.3V, and it has been working for the last 24 hours.

So maybe the Tradfri remote is just very sensitive to slightly low voltage. I'll see how it goes over the next few days.

Dave

Comment

Dave,

I think you got that right. There is a measurement flaw in the REST API for these remotes.
        I had already noticed the remotes are completely dead, while deCONZ still reported 47% battery. Was thinking of correcting that value in the plugin, but did not do this yet. So it could very well be a bad delivery with the remote. Were the battery not shielded when new? I seem to remember my batteries were having a little piece of plastic that you can pull when the remotes are unpacked.

Wim

-- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

Comment

I just installed one myself a couple of weeks ago. The battery dropped fairly quickly and now reports 60%. It is in my garage and it's getting cold here now. However, it still works fine. Mind you, it's probably less than 10 ft from the conbee. JSON shows it reported today.
          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Hmmmm, spoke too soon.

With a new battery it worked for about 36 hours, then became unresponsive again. No amount of pushing any buttons could get a response. Haven't had a chance to look at deCONZ, but in HS3, none of those button presses have been received.

Interestingly, the battery level is already down from 100% to 74% - given that the battery measured 3.35V when put in 36 hours ago, this is rather strange.

Would love to get this working reliably - it provides a faster response than my z-wave switches.

Dave

Comment

Well, after another 24 hours of working intermittently, the battery was down to 2.95. So I returned it and have changed it for a new one. The new battery that came with the new remote measured 3.34V, so pretty good. It will be interesting to see how it goes.......

Dave

Comment

The IKEA remotes are known to drain pretty quick compared to other battery devices here, like Philips and Xiaomi. But batteries here have lasted at least a year before giving up. Maybe you had a bad remote, crossing fingers for you

Wim
                -- Wim

Comment

OK, an update.

Took it back to Ikea and exchanged it for a new one. New one has been working for about a week or so now, and battery voltage appears to be pretty stable. Certainly doing better than the original one did.

Initially I found it pretty erratic in terms of response, unlike the Xiaomi switches and sensors I have been trying. Bit I changed my wifi channels to move them further from the zigbee channel, and it has been pretty reliable since then.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it now. If only the main button had a couple of different outputs instead of one.....

Dave

Comment

That is good news
                    As for the main button, it is not delivering any extra info on long presses, like the other buttons. So unless IKEA updates their firmware there is no other reports possible through deCONZ.

Wim
                    -- Wim

Comment

Working...
                    X