Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dear JowiHue, PLEASE STOP RENAMING MY DEVICES!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear JowiHue, PLEASE STOP RENAMING MY DEVICES!!!

Sorry for screaming , but I am at my wits' end with this incessant behavior of JowiHue renaming my sensor devices after I edit them. This has been mentioned several times before but has never been fixed. Here is a recent thread.

This is how it looks right after I rename the devices to what they should be:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2020-01-29 15.56.17.png Views:	0 Size:	16.3 KB ID:	1357647

Then minutes later they look like this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2020-01-29 16.10.59.png Views:	0 Size:	16.0 KB ID:	1357648

And I see this in the log:

Code:
    Jan-29 4:17:36 PM           JowiHue     Device Dehumidifier Multi Sensor Temperature renamed to Dehumidifier Multi Sensor
    Jan-29 4:17:36 PM           JowiHue     Device Dehumidifier Multi Sensor Humidity renamed to Dehumidifier Multi Sensor
    Jan-29 4:17:36 PM           JowiHue     Device Dehumidifier Multi Sensor Pressure renamed to Dehumidifier Multi Sensor
    Why does JowiHue insist on doing this? And why does it rename three of the devices EXACTLY THE SAME? Makes no sense. There is no way to tell which device you are picking when creating events and such.

Please for the love of all that is good and holy, let me name my devices according to my preferred naming convention

PS. This post is not meant to sound angry, I'm just very frustrated at the moment after dealing with this silliness for the past two hours

I've noticed this behavior if the device name you try to use it too long. It appears the plugin trims the device name back to the nearest space rather than trimming to maximum characters allowed.

Try abbreviating parts of the device name to save characters (i.e. "Dehum Multisensor Temp", "Dehum Multisensor Humidity") and see if that solves the issue.

--Barry

Comment

Originally posted by logman View Post
      I've noticed this behavior if the device name you try to use it too long. It appears the plugin trims the device name back to the nearest space rather than trimming to maximum characters allowed.

Try abbreviating parts of the device name to save characters (i.e. "Dehum Multisensor Temp", "Dehum Multisensor Humidity") and see if that solves the issue.

--Barry
      Good to know, Barry. I'll try that out when I have a chance, i.e. after I recover from my minor breakdown from earlier today

That still doesn't explain why "Dehumidifier Multi Sensor Battery" is changed to "Battery Dehumidifier Multi Sensor Pressure". Where did the "Pressure" come from? And why does "Battery" have to be at the front?

Comment

There is also deCONZ that tends to take a sensors name, either one present on the same device, and use this name as the name for all sensors. I am guessing that in deCONZ the pressure sensor part won the naming game.
        What you are seeing is this battle. Maybe this was also caused by using the long name and deCONZ refusing it. Not 100% sure on that.

The name of the Battery in front has been there since the beginning, so far there have been no complaints about that.

In HS4 behaviour behind naming will change.
        You will give the device a name, the so called 'features' get the same name with a (user configurable) addition like "motion" or "battery" behind it. Towards the bridges the plugin will only use the device name.
        This is still in development though.

Wim

-- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
          the so called 'features' get the same name with a (user configurable) addition like "motion" or "battery" behind it.
          This is exactly how I would like it and how I have been trying to rename them, as seen in my first screenshot. But I think what you are saying is that JowiHue is actively by design renaming the Battery device to move the Battery part to the front? Is there a reason it has to be this way? It doesn't work very well for sorting purposes.

Comment

Depends on how you look at the devices. When you view them in grouped mode, the battery is inside the group and sorting is done on the parent device, not the childs.
            And when you look at separated devices, you would have all the batteries sorted together. I guess is is just a matter on how you look at it.

It will be better soon
            -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
              I guess is is just a matter on how you look at it.

It will be better soon
              I agree that each way has its merits. But it would be nice if the decision was left to the user instead of forcing it one way or the other.

I hope this can be fixed for the HS3 version? I'm not planning to jump in the HS4 waters for quite some time. I'll monitor the progress as the inevitable issues get worked out, but I'm not migrating until things look stable. And I anticipate that will be many months down the road...

Comment

Working...
              X