Plugin/bridge dependencies on WAN connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugin/bridge dependencies on WAN connection

The other night my internet went down for a few hours - a rare thing. I looked at my log and noticed the following:
    Sep-29 1:34:37 AM JowiHue Error: (Bridgescan)::The remote name could not be resolved: 'discovery.meethue.com'
    Sep-29 1:29:37 AM JowiHue Error: (Bridgescan)::The remote name could not be resolved: 'discovery.meethue.com'
    Sep-29 1:24:37 AM JowiHue Error: (Bridgescan)::The remote name could not be resolved: 'discovery.meethue.com'
    Is the Plugin dependent on an internet connection (WAN) in order to function? Just wondering why these Bridgescans are present.
    Otherwise, everything works fine with an internet connection.

Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Robert,

The plugin uses a UPNP scan to find bridges. It does this roughly every 5 minutes. If UPNP does not give any results, this means that the local calls are disabled. Only then it will use the discovery function that Philips (or dresden electronics) offers over the internet, in this case on discovery.meethue.com. This page performs a local script that scans your local network and will try to let the plugin know the IP addresses to check. Not having a internet connection is no issue, only when upnp in your local network does not return a result it will use the internet as a backdoor to find bridges. When the site is not reachable, the plugin will continue and function normally.

Wim
    -- Wim

Plugins:RFXCOM, HSTouch Server, Squeezebox, BLGData, Restart, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, WeatherXML, BLBackup, TenScripting, BC4, Pushover, PHLocation, JowiHue, Zwave, Sonos
    650 devices ---- 336 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Thanks Wim. When you say "this means the local calls are disabled", is this related to my setup where I don't have System is Discoverable Using UPNP checked in the Setup page?
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Robert,

No, it is not the setting in HS. It is normally a setting in your router to allow UPNP calls. But this can be a bit of a durance issue too as some routers stop the UPNP when running for a long time without restarting. It is really not much of a issue I think as once the bridge is connected and no new one coming in , it will run fine without this search. The UPNP call important is only to find new bridges. When you want to find anew bridge it should be found withing 5 minutes after connecting it. Other then that it is not much of an issue.

Wim
        -- Wim

Plugins:RFXCOM, HSTouch Server, Squeezebox, BLGData, Restart, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, WeatherXML, BLBackup, TenScripting, BC4, Pushover, PHLocation, JowiHue, Zwave, Sonos
        650 devices ---- 336 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Ok... gotcha now. Thanks for clearing this up.

Robert

Comment

Working...
          X