Hue Lights controlled by an Insteon Switch retain hue settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hue Lights controlled by an Insteon Switch retain hue settings

I have three recess Hue lights connected to a physical switch (Insteon) There is any way that I can keep the last hue settings when I turn the switch from off to on? It seems that the lights they turn on at the maximus settings when I turn the switch on.

If you go to the properties of the HS device for the hue light, the JowiHue tab, you can set an option called "Recover light settings after being unreachable". Setting this option will make the plugin save the last known setting if the lights become unreachable. Once the lights become reachable (switch is on again) the last known settings are restored. Do realize though that there might be a few seconds before the light is reported reachable again, so the initial on will be bright still....

Wim
    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Wim, thank you. I remember seeing it someplace but I did not remember where.

Comment

Do you have a Philips Hue Bridge? Though I have my Hue lights controlled by a ConBee2 controller, I also got the Hue bridge so I could update the firmware on the bulbs and program specific features. On the Hue bridge you can program the bulbs for state they should be in in case of power loss and return (which is what you are doing with the Insteon switch, which I disagree with, you should leave them powered on and control them via events if your switch is capable of that).
        You can set the return of power state to be On, Off, or Last State, which is what you want. I set all my bulbs to Last State before including them on the ConBee2 and JowiHue.

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion, I have the first model of the hue bridge, I'm not sure it has the setting you have described. The issue with not having the switch is that I can not control the lights manually when I enter the room, how do you accomplish it?

Thanks for your help

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

alphatech ,

Indeed the option TC1 was referring to is not available for the GEN1 hue bridges. That would leave you my suggestion, or you could try replacing the powered switch by using a Zigbee switch, like the Hue dimmer switch or the Hue Tap. More switches are available, but I am not sure if they wil all work on the GEN1 bridge.

Wim
            -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

Comment

Thank you to both, Would it be worth to upgrade to the Hub Gen2, on ebay they are not that expensive.

Comment

Depends on your plans, moving forward.
                You could buy the GEN2 and apply the firmware update that TC1 mentioned to the lights. This enables the lights to be set to revert to the startup settings you have set in the Hue app. That solves this problem 100%
                Or, if you want to replace the switches to have the lights controlled directly by the plugin, including on off actions, you could instead add a deCONZ gateway, which has high responses responding to sensors/ switches and remotes. This solves the problem as well And enables extension in the future for different brands of lights/sensors etc.

Which one you choose is depending on your future plans I suppose?

Thanks

Wim
                -- Wim

Comment

Agree with with what w.vuyk stated, will just add that support for Gen1 Hue bridges is no longer, so if the cost is minimal for a Gen2 then it might be worth it. Just an FYI, I had no intention of buying a Hue bridge (already had a ConBee2 for a zigbee controller) but the set of 4 Hue lights I got as a refurbished product from Amazon included a set of Gen3 bulbs and a Gen2 bridge. Having the bridge was perfect since it allowed me to upgrade all the bulb's firmware (they were a couple of versions behind) and then the added benefit of setting the Power-on Behavior on the bulbs. The bridge definitely served a purpose even if I never intend on using it on my home automation network.

Comment

Thank you guys, I decided to go with the second generation and eventually I will explore the benefit of deCONZ. What is the best way to transfer everything from Gen1 to 2?

Comment

I've never done it, but a quick Google revealed this:

https://huehomelighting.com/how-to-t...ps-hue-bridge/

I'm sure w.vuyk has a strategy for recognizing/migrating the JowiHue created devices from one bridge to another. It might be as simple as changing the bridge IP address in the plug-in settings.
                      ​​​​​​​

Comment

There is a challenge for the plugin for this. It can work out fine, but there are some points you have to take care of. Follow the below sequence while transferring the bridge:
                        1. Disable the plugin during the whole proces of transferring! if the plugin is active or even restarted during the transfer will create havoc in the devices.
                        2. Follow the proces of moving the old bridge to the new bridge
                        3. Once it is finished, remove power from the old bridge and make sure it is also psychically disconnected from the network
                        4. Make sure the new bridge is active though the Philips Hue app
                        5. Wait for an hour or so as users experienced UPNP presence can still be announced for some time, guess by caching or so.
                        6. Start the plugin, the new bridge will probably have a different IP address, so the plugin will not find the bridge initially. In about 10 minutes it should correct the IP address and connect
                        7. Check that the plugin does not create new devices
                        In the past this all had different success, some users needed to correct their events afterwards, others had no issues at all.
                        The challenge (long ago) has been that I could not really test this as a transfer is a one time only possibility. An I did not need more then 4 bridges....

Wim
                        -- Wim

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
                          There is a challenge for the plugin for this. It can work out fine, but there are some points you have to take care of. Follow the below sequence while transferring the bridge:
                          1. Disable the plugin during the whole proces of transferring! if the plugin is active or even restarted during the transfer will create havoc in the devices.
                          2. Follow the proces of moving the old bridge to the new bridge
                          3. Once it is finished, remove power from the old bridge and make sure it is also psychically disconnected from the network
                          4. Make sure the new bridge is active though the Philips Hue app
                          5. Wait for an hour or so as users experienced UPNP presence can still be announced for some time, guess by caching or so.
                          6. Start the plugin, the new bridge will probably have a different IP address, so the plugin will not find the bridge initially. In about 10 minutes it should correct the IP address and connect
                          7. Check that the plugin does not create new devices
                          In the past this all had different success, some users needed to correct their events afterwards, others had no issues at all.
                          The challenge (long ago) has been that I could not really test this as a transfer is a one time only possibility. An I did not need more then 4 bridges....

Wim
                          Thank you, I will keep you posted. Thanks for taking your time, very much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you to both for all great help. The transfer thanks to your instructions went seamless. The only issue, although it seems to be working ok, is the bridge error. On the Hue Gen2 I changed the IP address to the old Gen1. Do I need to do anything to resolve it?
                            Oct-26 11:07:41 AM JowiHue ============================================================ ==================================
                            Oct-26 11:07:41 AM JowiHue 6 Animations available for use in this plugin
                            Oct-26 11:07:41 AM JowiHue 44 Local scenes available for use in the JowiHue plugin
                            Oct-26 11:07:41 AM JowiHue 31 Presets available for use in the JowiHue plugin
                            Oct-26 11:07:41 AM JowiHue -------------------------------------Plugin info ---------------------------------------------
                            Oct-26 11:07:41 AM JowiHue 2 Generic status sensor found on bridge 'Philips hue'
                            Oct-26 11:07:41 AM JowiHue 1 Generic flag sensor found on bridge 'Philips hue'
                            Oct-26 11:07:41 AM JowiHue 1 Daylight sensor found on bridge 'Philips hue'
                            Oct-26 11:07:41 AM JowiHue Bridge Philips hue is at version 1941056000 of type BSB002
                            Oct-26 11:07:41 AM JowiHue 10 Groups available on bridge 'Philips hue'
                            Oct-26 11:07:41 AM JowiHue 14 lights and/or plugs connected to bridge 'Philips hue'
                            Oct-26 11:07:41 AM JowiHue -------------------------------------Bridge info ---------------------------------------------
                            Oct-26 11:07:41 AM JowiHue ============================================================ ==================================
                            Oct-26 11:07:40 AM JowiHue Will be solved with next restart
                            Oct-26 11:07:40 AM JowiHue Error: (CompleteBridgeConfig)::Bridge on IP address 192.168.0.68 reports a different serial than expected. Device: 001788FFFE16E731 Bridge response: ECB5FAFFFE124A6C
                            Oct-26 11:07:37 AM JowiHue * Connected to bridge Philips hue at 192.168.0.68:80
                            Oct-26 11:07:35 AM NO ECHO No Echo for Studio Motion Sensor Studio - Occupancy Sensor, Echo (3 mins, 39 secs)
                            Oct-26 11:07:35 AM Insteon Received Studio Motion Sensor Studio Occupancy Sensor: (13.EE.B4) Go OFF
                            Oct-26 11:07:34 AM Z-Wave Device: Washer Power Monitor Basement Loundry Washer Watts Set to 1.338 (1.338 Watts)
                            Oct-26 11:07:28 AM Plug-In Finished initializing plug-in JowiHue
                            Oct-26 11:07:28 AM Starting Plug-In JowiHue loaded in 882 milliseconds

Comment

I think the line above the error applies here. This error should be gone with a new restart of the plugin. No worries I think, it has been solved already
                              *crossing fingers*
                              -- Wim

Comment

Working...
                              X