Xiaomi/Aqara switches... using them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xiaomi/Aqara switches... using them?

I picked up an Aqara mini switch. I want to provide a toggle for some under cabinet lighting. What's the "right way" to pair this in HS?

Am I setting it up as an Event and using that to toggle the lights? Or is there a way to pair it within the zigbee network?

I ask this only because all my other switch devices are either in the dimmer itself, or paired out in my Lutron Ra2 lighting system. I don't really have anything else that's just a momentary press like this.

This switch has tree statuses. pressed once, pressed twice en pressed long. Every state has a value.
    ie. 1001, 1002 en 1003. The easiest way is to make an event regarding to the function.
    For examaple:
    IF: Switch Aqara, had its value set to 1001 THEN: switch ON cabinet lighting.
    IF: Switch Aqara, had its value set to 1002 THEN: switch OFF cabinet lighting.
    The third option (1003) could be an action at your wishes

I am very fond of these switches ( Aqara / Xiaomi ) they are cheap, nice looking and very reliable

Comment

Using those in an event is the easiest I would say.

Be sure to disable the "Last Change Time Updates on Status Change Only" option on the device if you have those active.
      And set the triggers to "Had its value set to..." as opposed to "This device Changes to.." like wimaware is mentioning.
      So if you press the button once and after a minute once more, it still triggers.

Wim
      -- Wim

Plugins:RFXCOM, HSTouch Server, Squeezebox, BLGData, Restart, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, WeatherXML, BLBackup, TenScripting, BC4, Pushover, PHLocation, JowiHue, Zwave, Sonos
      650 devices ---- 336 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

I only planned on using them as an on/off toggle... but this gives me ideas.

I'd likely just use single tap as a toggle between on and off. A double might be useful to turn then on to a color other than white and then toggle to off.

I don't plan on using hold. But I could see where using it as a cycling ramp for brightness or color could be useful. But I have no idea how tedious that would be in HS3.

Comment

It makes my head hurt dealing with conditions in HS3. JUST GIVE ME A DAMNED ELSE CLAUSE... grrrr.....

I get why, but it's so unintuitive when you're not doing HS programming all the time.

Comment

I just finished setting up a Xiaomi Mija WXKG01LM button switch (in HA) via Node-RED, which I've just started learning (and liking).
            I previously had 5 automations for it in HA. HA Zigbee (ZHA) presents its actions as 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x and Furious (5x or more):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mi WXKG01LM.PNG Views:	0 Size:	44.8 KB ID:	1464127

HS4 now supports Node-RED!
            HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.0.8 Beta running on Lenovo ThinkCenter & Debian Linux
            Plugins: Z-Wave, SDJHealth
            Z-Wave via Nortek USB stick

Home Assistant 2021.9.6 running on HA "Blue" ODROID-N2
            Add-ons: Android Debug Bridge, Duck DNS, ESPHome, File Editor, Glances, HA Google Drive Backup, InfluxDB, Log Viewer, MariaDB, Mosquitto broker, NGINX SSL Proxy, Node-RED, Portainer, SSH & Web Terminal, Samba, TasmoAdmin, UniFi Controller, Visual Studio Code, WireGuard, Zigbee2mqtt, Z-Wave JS to MQTT
            Integrations: AccuWeather, Alexa Media Player, Glances, HACS, HomeSeer, Insteon, IPP, Life360, Local IP, Logitech Harmony Hub, Mobile App, MQTT, Nest, OpenWeather, Spotify, Ubiquiti UniFi, Z-Wave JS
            Insteon: 2413S Dual Band PLM
            Zigbee: zzh! CC2652R Rev A
            Z-Wave: RaZberry daughtercard on RPi 1B via ser2net

Comment

Oh don't tempt me with YET ANOTHER rabbit hole to run down! I had some node-red stuff set up a while ago and it's been on my to-do list for ages.

My comment about clicking... consider how guests or other members of the household are going to deal with 'secret actions' like presses, holds, and multiple clicks. It's one thing to remember them one time... but over time? In different locations? It gets extremely annoying when all the person wants to do is TURN ON THE DARNED LIGHTS.

Thus I stick with just single and double click, where double-click means FULL BRIGHTNESS for whatever is regularly controlled by this switch. It could be a double-tap to light up all lights in a room. But I'd be very leery of trying to overload the taps across different devices. Double means, x in one room, but not x in another. Follow me?

Just one man's opinion here, I'm not saying any one method is right or wrong or better than another.

Comment

Make the leap! The NR rabbit hole is wonderful!

Add-ons: Android Debug Bridge, Duck DNS, ESPHome, File Editor, Glances, HA Google Drive Backup, InfluxDB, Log Viewer, MariaDB, Mosquitto broker, NGINX SSL Proxy, Node-RED, Portainer, SSH & Web Terminal, Samba, TasmoAdmin, UniFi Controller, Visual Studio Code, WireGuard, Zigbee2mqtt, Z-Wave JS to MQTT
                Integrations: AccuWeather, Alexa Media Player, Glances, HACS, HomeSeer, Insteon, IPP, Life360, Local IP, Logitech Harmony Hub, Mobile App, MQTT, Nest, OpenWeather, Spotify, Ubiquiti UniFi, Z-Wave JS

Comment

What are you using as your Zigbee interface to HS?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeMatthews View Post
                    deCONZ/Conbee2 running on the previous Windows 10 machine that had been running HS3. It's in a good place, signal-wise, to provide solid communication to the devices so I left it there. From there I have HS3 running inside a Windows VM on a much faster machine.

What does your NR setup use?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeMatthews View Post
                      Who was that directed to?

I tried HS's new Zigbee integration and found it severely lacking.
                      That was the impetus for me trying JowiHue + deCONZ, mcsMQTT + zigbee2mqtt and ultimately full-on Home Assistant.

Comment

Originally posted by wkearney99 View Post
                        What does your NR setup use?
                        I presume that's directed to me...

My setup:

HS4 Pro Edition 4.1.14.0 (Linux - Debian 10) running on Lenovo ThinkCenter
                        Hardware:
                        • Z-Wave: Nortek USB stick
                        HA 2021.3.4 running on HA "Blue" ODROID-N2
                        Add-ons: Android Debug Bridge, AdGuard Home, Duck DNS, ESPHome, File Editor, Glances, Home Assistant Google Drive Backup, InfluxDB, Log Viewer, MariaDB, Mosquitto broker, NGINX SSL Proxy, Node-RED, Portainer, SSH & Web Terminal , Samba, TasmoAdmin, UniFi Controller, Visual Studio Code, WireGuard, Z-Wave JS 2 MQTT
                        Integrations: AccuWeather, Adaptive Lighting, Alexa Media Player, Entity Controller, Glances, HACS, HomeSeer, Insteon, IPP, Life360, Local IP, Logitech Harmony Hub, Magic Areas, Mobile App, MQTT, Nest, OpenWeather, Ubiquiti UniFi, Zigbee
                        Hardware:
                        • Insteon: 2413S Dual Band PLM
                        • Zigbee: zzh! CC2652R Rev A
                        • Z-Wave: RaZberry daughtercard on RPi 1B via ser2net

Comment

Originally posted by wimaware View Post
                          I am very fond of these switches ( Aqara / Xiaomi ) they are cheap, nice looking and very reliable
                          I'm digging up old thread to ask about your setup.

I got one of those Aqara wireless mini switches.
                          I can't get it to be detected by my HS4. I have Nortek stick for zigbee and it's working great for other zigbee devices so far.

I'm trying "add zigbee device", and I tried resetting the switch (long press tiny button on top of the switch), and it's not getting detected.

Could you please explain how did you get it to connect? thanks!

Comment

Maybe be aware the explanation here can be given while using the JowiHue plugin, not the Nortek stick?
                            -- Wim

Plugins:RFXCOM, HSTouch Server, Squeezebox, BLGData, Restart, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, WeatherXML, BLBackup, TenScripting, BC4, Pushover, PHLocation, JowiHue, Zwave, Sonos
                            650 devices ---- 336 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Working...
                            X