Bulbs are Unreachable-ish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulbs are Unreachable-ish

I'm having a bit of trouble with the plug-in and I'm not sure what I need to do.

I'm able to control all of the bulbs (two at the moment) using the Group controls, but I can't control them individually. If I make a selection on the Group, it updates for each bulb it's controlling, but if I make a change to the individual bulb, nothing happens and the root bulb reverts back to Unreachable as shown below.

Oh, and how can you delete groups?

Log:
    Dec-27 4:22:14 PM JowiHue Light LivingColors 2 is not reachable, command skipped
    Dec-27 4:22:01 PM JowiHue Light LivingColors 2 is not reachable, command skipped

JowiHue version 1.0.4.7
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.97

ckelly,

Please install the 1.0.4.8 version. The version you are using now has indeed an issue when a bulb comes unreachable. Once it comes reachabel again it should correctly show the current state of the bulb, but this doesn't happen in your version of the plugin now.
    You can find this version in the manage plugin beta section. It is only beta for Linux, for Windows this is solvign several issues, one of them beein the unreachable state.

As for the groups, the "all lights" group cannot be edited or deleted, as this is defined on the bridge and cannot be altered. Groups you create yourself can be altered in any way you like. This is also documented in the usage guide of JowiHue (located in the docs directory of your homeseer installation).

Let me know if the new version soves your issue?

Thanks,

Wim
    -- Wim

Plugins:RFXCOM, HSTouch Server, Squeezebox, BLGData, Restart, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, WeatherXML, BLBackup, TenScripting, BC4, Pushover, PHLocation, JowiHue, Zwave, Sonos
    650 devices ---- 336 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

ckelly,

did the upgrade solve your issue?

Wim
      -- Wim

Plugins:RFXCOM, HSTouch Server, Squeezebox, BLGData, Restart, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, WeatherXML, BLBackup, TenScripting, BC4, Pushover, PHLocation, JowiHue, Zwave, Sonos

Comment

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

The bulbs still only respond to the group commands not the individual commands.

Comment

Originally posted by ckellyusa View Post
          Sorry for not getting back sooner.

The bulbs still only respond to the group commands not the individual commands.
          ckelly,

The plugin takes the unreachable status from the Philips bridge and would not send commands directly anymore to the bulb untill the bubls are reachable again according to the bridge.
          Is it possible that the bulbs have been placed on a larger distance from the bridge? Or with thick walls between bridge and bulbs?
          That might cause the bridge to report unreachable quite often?

Moving the bridge closer to the bulbs - or to move one bulb closer to the bridge - could help.
          Keep in mind that the Philips bulbs are building a mesh (Zigbee) network, Having one bulb closer to the bridge, the others could hold a larger distance then as those will contact the nearest bulb to communicate with the bridge.

A good working distance is in my case 5 meters/15 feet.

The fact that the group control works from the plugin is caused by the fact that the bridge will just send the groupcommand disregarding the unreachable status of individual lights. If the light recevices id, itr will perform the command anyway.

Hope this helps you a bit in finding the issue with the bridge?

Wim
          -- Wim

Comment

Hi Wim,

Sorry to post on this thread but I am still having "unavailable" issues also.
            I am on the latest beta version, and I also get frequent "unavailable" bulbs, even though the Philips iOS app doesn't show them as unavailable. As I have said before this stops events from running if they are based on a light being off, because HS doesn't know if they are or not.

I also saw this in the logs???

<TABLE class=log_table_row cellSpacing=0> <TBODY> <TR> <TD class="LogDateLong LogDateTime0" style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap" align=left>Jan-01 21:56:33 </TD> <TD class=LogPri0 align=left></TD> <TD class=LogType0 colSpan=3 align=left>JowiHue </TD> <TD class=LogEntry0 colSpan=8 align=left> RefreshDevices: Error: Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

and this one?? (quite a lot - once whenever a command is sent from the PI)
            edit : re-booted the hue bridge and the errors disappeared, I'll keep an eye on it

Jan-01 21:34:31 JowiHue SendJsonCommandPUT: Command for SendJsonCommand failed Stream was not readable.

Happy new year!!

Cheers
            J
            Last edited by Skinnez; January 1st, 2015, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Jason,

Happy New Year for you too!

The Philips Hue app sends the commands for a bulb ignoring the status being unreachable. If the plugin gets report from the bridge that a bulb is unreachable it honors the status and does not send commands until the bridge reports the bulb is reachable again. I can change that behaviour and send commands ignoring the status. Reason why I did not send it was to save on the network bit.

I have not been seeing unreachable bulbs in my configuration a lot, only rarely when another app for disco effects was active. This app is sending loads of commands and making the bridge less responsive.

The status unreachable is not made up by the plugin, it is a report from the bridge. If the plugin is having issues gettng the status, it will report the bridge being unreachable, not the bulbs. So I am confinced that if you see bulbs unreachable, you should check on the distances between bulb and bridge and eventually distances between bulbs. Is it always the same (set of) bulbs that are unreachable?

The error you are seeing with the collection error will be solved with the next release, wich is now being tested by another user wit multiple bridges. I am hoping to release this soon now.

Thanks,

Wim
              -- Wim

Comment

Hi Wim,
                I rebooted the bridge last night and moved it slightly away from some stuff (just in case it helped). This morning I didn't see any unreachable bulbs.
                I'm not sure that distance is causing it as it is all the bulbs that eventually become unreachable (one is less than 2m away). I'll keep an eye on it over the weekend.
                I have been thinking about doing a factory reset and adding the bulbs to the bridge again, but because I have so many scenes/groups and events in HS3 I don't want to break everything (and probably have to re-add everything :/). What will happen to the devices/events etc in hs3 if I do a reset?

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnez View Post
                  Hi Wim,
                  I rebooted the bridge last night and moved it slightly away from some stuff (just in case it helped). This morning I didn't see any unreachable bulbs.
                  I'm not sure that distance is causing it as it is all the bulbs that eventually become unreachable (one is less than 2m away). I'll keep an eye on it over the weekend.
                  I have been thinking about doing a factory reset and adding the bulbs to the bridge again, but because I have so many scenes/groups and events in HS3 I don't want to break everything (and probably have to re-add everything :/). What will happen to the devices/events etc in hs3 if I do a reset?
                  Jason,

I never tested that part myself yet. But I think I have a procedure in place for just in case. Maybe you can think on it and use it? I'll try to describe it:

1. Note the sequence of the bulbs in the Philips Hue app for later use
                  2. Disable the plugin in HS.
                  3. Reset the Bridge to factory settings
                  4. Re-add the bulbs one by one in the same sequence as they were known before (from step 1)
                  5. stop HS and make a backup copy of the HS3 database (the JowiHue database does not have to be copied)
                  6. start HS3 and register the bridge - new devices will be added
                  7. stop HS3 and restore the backup copy of the HS3 database
                  8. start HS3 and you should be back in business.

As stated, I did not test this myself yet, but I am pretty sure this should work. Philips has updated its API a short time ago, which will make it possible to recognise bulbs, so I could reconnect those to the correct bridge again. So in the future it might get more simple - as long you have the bridge updated to the latest version of course.

On the bulb unreachable issue - keep in mind we are talking a mesh network. So if you have a bulb 2 meters away from the bridge it looks ok, but if the next bulb in the network is more then 8 meters further back - or walls in between - you will still see issues. Or if you have other transmittors in the area of the bridge or bulbs, you might experience interference with those signals. Those are the things to check.

Please let me know if you are going to reset the bridge and how it went. If it works I could add it to the documentation?

Thanks,

Wim
                  -- Wim

Comment

Ah ok so it's a mesh network as z-wave stuff then, so commands can hop from bulb to bulb also then?
                    I hoped I would be able to do something like you describe when I reset the bridge. I'm going to watch over the weekend. Then decide wether to do a reset or not, I'll let you know either way.

Cheers
                    J

Comment

Scenes and groups are stored on the bridge yes??
                      These groups and scenes are also stored in HS3, then written to the bridge by your PI (even if they don't exist on the bridge after a reset) ??

Cheers
                      J

Comment

Exactly, the Philips Hue lights use the Zigbee protocol, which is comparable to z-wave. Each of the protocols has its advantages and disadvantages.

The largest difference is that Zigbee is vendor dependant as this protocol is an open protocol where the z-wave protocol is owned by Sigma designs, who controls correct use of the protocol.
                        That is why a Philips Hue bridge would not control other vendors lights (yet).

Wim
                        -- Wim

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnez View Post
                          Scenes and groups are stored on the bridge yes??
                          These groups and scenes are also stored in HS3, then written to the bridge by your PI (even if they don't exist on the bridge after a reset) ??

Cheers
                          J
                          Jason,

Scenes are not stored on the bridge, so these will be available still. No problem there. If I add support for the tap later on, scenes forthe plugin will need to be stored on the bridge.

Groups are stored on the bridge and indeed these would be lost after the reset. I missed that one! So those would need to be recreated after the reset and will result in new devices.

What you could do is add a new step to the procedure:

1. Note the sequence of the bulbs in the Philips Hue app for later use. Also note the groups you have created through the plugin (except the group "All Lights")
                          2. Disable the plugin in HS.
                          3. Reset the Bridge to factory settings
                          4. Re-add the bulbs one by one in the same sequence as they were known before (from step 1)
                          5. stop HS and make a backup copy of the HS3 database (the JowiHue database does not have to be copied)
                          6. start HS3 and register the bridge - new devices will be added
                          7. re-add the groups in the same sequence as created before
                          8. stop HS3 and restore the backup copy of the HS3 database
                          9. start HS3 and you should be back in business.
                          -- Wim

Comment

Ah ok, got it!
                            Anyway, I spoke too soon... ALL of the bulbs (6 in total) are now unreachable again.
                            In the Philips iOS app they don't show as unreachable.
                            When I change the lamp brightness from either the iOS app or from hstouch, they change brightness as expected then the unreachable warning icon is gone again.
                            I think you said before that the PI devices don't update if they change back to reachable.
                            I think the bridge maybe gets too busy and drops connections to bulbs periodically. I doubt its very fast :/ and its Philips...
                            No way to backup bridge config. OR delete a bulb still (basic stuff that should be there)
                            Hope this helps!
                            Cheers
                            J

Comment

I will double check on the new version why bulbs would not return back to available if the bridge reports they are reachable again. I must be missing it somehow. Challenge is that it works fine for me - if I pull the power on a bulb here it shows unreachable, when I put it back it is availabe within 3 seconds or so. No commands send.

Do you have other apps controling the bridge at the same time maybe? Like a music app? That is known to send a massive amount of commands to the bulbs..

Also, what is your currect setting for the refresh rate in the config page of the plugin? You could lower it temporary to check if things get better? It should not be set lower then 2000 (once per two seconds).

Wim
                              -- Wim

Comment

Working...
                              X