Best way to remove blue light gradually until bedtime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to remove blue light gradually until bedtime

What is the best way to remove blue light through the night after sunset....yet always get the least blue light (i.e. red) at 11pm bedtime.

The only way I've figured out is an animation, but that seems to be a fixed duration...when sunset changes time every day and it wouldn't end at 11pm.

Basically, I want to go from white light at sunset to red gradually at 11pm bedtime.

AgileHumor,

I have done the same here, by creating a animation that moves through different scenes and end in a setting without blue lights for sleeping (in my case amber btw, blueless as well, being a bit nicer color then full red for my taste)

The animation can have a variable start and stretch to a set end time, either a solid time like 11:00 pm, or sunrise/sunset) Check the stretch part in the documentation for this. You can set the stretch function in the animation definition.

I will attach a sample of my evening animation and the event I created for it

Regards,

Wim
    Attached Files
    Last edited by w.vuyk; September 28th, 2015, 02:49 PM.
    -- Wim

Plugins:RFXCOM, HSTouch Server, Squeezebox, BLGData, Restart, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, WeatherXML, BLBackup, TenScripting, BC4, Pushover, PHLocation, JowiHue, Zwave, Sonos
    650 devices ---- 336 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Your awesome! Thank you.

Comment

Very cool. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Btw, what if the light is turned on/off during the color shift period, since the room is not occupied all the time during that period. How to best achieve that?

So basically the system will turn on the light to the right 'color' of the time of the day, everytime someone turns it on (either w/ motion sensor or remote).
        HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

That's a great point!

On my Vera (which I'm migrating from ever so slowly), I just have it change all the lights colors at sunset , 8pm, 9pm, 10pm.

To do that, since Hue doesn't let you change the color of a light that is off (as of last year), it would briefly turn on for a moment, change colors, then turn off. That way when it was turned off, it would be at the right color when turned off.

I don't think the animation would work for off lights in that scenario

PS - I also use F.LUX on my HTPC to dim the TV of blue light...for all you blue light @ night folks like me

Comment

In the animation with stretching I posted, the animation would start from the beginning if the room becomes occupied again. But as time has passed, the period between changing to the next scene is shorter, to make sure that at the end time the color is amber.
            In my situation, if the room becomes occupied again after the end time, the amber scene is activated instead of the animation. This is then another event. The same for daytime light control, it is using a different event (and different animations)

Wim
            -- Wim

Plugins:RFXCOM, HSTouch Server, Squeezebox, BLGData, Restart, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, WeatherXML, BLBackup, TenScripting, BC4, Pushover, PHLocation, JowiHue, Zwave, Sonos
            650 devices ---- 336 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

@AgileHumor: Yes! I run f.lux on all my working computers too

Btw... for me, the main point of shifting light color temperature is to match it with the sun outiside. So the big change would happen during sunrise/sunset; during that crucial 5-15 minutes, the shift of color from 5000K-ish to 3000K-ish (and the reverse)...

If I'm not at home during that time, then I don't need to see the gradual change... I just want the light to turn on to the 'right' color for the time of day

Other than sunrise/sunset moment, I think it's ok for the minimal color shift to happen every 1-2 hours, or even 3 hours.

ps: I'm actually planning to do this with both Philips Hue and 2-colored LED strips (like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Color-Temper...-/351141204048 )

edit: Here's another product along this idea: http://sunnlight.com/product/sunn-light/
              Last edited by LeoS; September 30th, 2015, 12:43 PM.
              HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

Working...
              X