Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uh oh. No more non-Phillips zigbee bulbs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uh oh. No more non-Phillips zigbee bulbs.

http://m.slashdot.org/story/304031

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
    Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
    Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Eek. I wonder if this is a firmware they just pushed out, or one from some weeks ago. I updated mine not long ago, and at least my existing 3rd party strip controllers still work.

It may be time to isolate my controllers and lock down everything, if it's not too late already. This is why I usually build my own interfaces or go with something more standardized. They either throw you under the bus, or go out of business.

Comment

It is not that Philips is blocking all 3rd party zigbee bulbs, but - as I understand this - they want those to follow the philips rules....they have to be certified as 'friend of hue'. I guess that is the goal they want now. See also:

http://www.developers.meethue.com/do...nds-hue-update
      There is also an explanation on how you can keep the lights if they are connected already - main trick is to not reset the bridge anymore.

As far I heard it is the the osram lightify bulbs that are struck already with the latest api. Did not yet hear of other brands.

Wim
      -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
        It is not that Philips is blocking all 3rd party zigbee bulbs, but - as I understand this - they want those to follow the philips rules....they have to be certified as 'friend of hue'. I guess that is the goal they want now. See also:

http://www.developers.meethue.com/do...nds-hue-update
        There is also an explanation on how you can keep the lights if they are connected already - main trick is to not reset the bridge anymore.

As far I heard it is the the osram lightify bulbs that are struck already with the latest api. Did not yet hear of other brands.

Wim
        The odds of GE Link bulbs being rated friends of Hue seem quite low to me. They are pretty high quality, yet undercut the Hue bulbs by quite a bit. This is a bit disappointing as Philips was really bucking the trend by supporting competitors bulbs with their bridge.

Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue

Comment

Just great. My Hue hubs are both updated to this nasty version. I still have several of the third party strip controllers not yet associated to one, and unless they change policy again, I will never be able to add them. I do have one more non updated hub still in the box, that I could probably use, but really was not planning to run so many hubs.

Comment

Good news in this area... Philips will be reverting this change :

From the developer board:

"We recently upgraded the software for Philips Hue to ensure the best seamless connected lighting experience for our customers. This change was made in good faith. However, we under estimated the impact this would have on a small number of customers who use lights from other brands which could not be controlled by the Philips Hue software. In view of the sentiment expressed by our customers, we have decided to reverse the software upgrade so that lights from other brands continue to work as they did before with the Philips Hue system.

We are working on the reversal of the upgrade and will shortly confirm when this will be available."

I think they made the right choice....

Wim
            -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

Comment

This is good news, and the right decision from Phillips. It would be good if we could get a toggle in the JowiHue plugin now to disable updates from the plugin. I know it could still be triggered via the native Hue application, but it would be nice to be able to turn off the upgrade button within the plugin to avoid accidental clicks. After the update which puts back compatibility, I would like to freeze my versions and avoid updates. We only control the lights through HS, so nobody here even has the native Hue app loaded. As long as the plugin is working, there is no reason to update the hubs.

Comment

Good news in this area... Philips will be reverting this change :

From the developer board:

"We recently upgraded the software for Philips Hue to ensure the best seamless connected lighting experience for our customers. This change was made in good faith. However, we under estimated the impact this would have on a small number of customers who use lights from other brands which could not be controlled by the Philips Hue software. In view of the sentiment expressed by our customers, we have decided to reverse the software upgrade so that lights from other brands continue to work as they did before with the Philips Hue system.

We are working on the reversal of the upgrade and will shortly confirm when this will be available."

I think they made the right choice....

Wim

Well that's a relief. Thanks for the update.

Comment

Originally posted by Automated View Post
                  This is good news, and the right decision from Phillips. It would be good if we could get a toggle in the JowiHue plugin now to disable updates from the plugin. I know it could still be triggered via the native Hue application, but it would be nice to be able to turn off the upgrade button within the plugin to avoid accidental clicks. After the update which puts back compatibility, I would like to freeze my versions and avoid updates. We only control the lights through HS, so nobody here even has the native Hue app loaded. As long as the plugin is working, there is no reason to update the hubs.
                  Automated,
                  The plugin does not do updates automatically, and i can add a option to not check for updates. But if you check the link I send before, I trust Philips will not do this again.... And you might like what the future brings

Wim
                  -- Wim

Comment

Automated,
                    The plugin does not do updates automatically, and i can add a option to not check for updates. But if you check the link I send before, I trust Philips will not do this again.... And you might like what the future brings

Wim
                    Understood. I meant mainly a way to turn off even the button to check for an update, so I don't accidentally click it.

Comment

I know that feeling

Today a new beta should be published, it won't be in there - but it should solve the daily restart when using multiple bridges.

The final version (I hope next week) will have the possibility to disable the button... but once you enable that one

Wim
                      -- Wim

Comment

And you might like what the future brings

Wim
                        I'm intrigued, What do you mean by this?

Comment

Working...
                        X