Solution for lights on full after power outage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solution for lights on full after power outage

Fall and winter typically means storms that usually result in the power going out at night and I've discovered that means grief with Hue bulbs (they come back on full power which sucks when the bedroom also has two young kids). I've discovered that Enerwave's dual relay always powers back on to the off state, so if it controls the Hue lights they will stay off when the power comes back on. You could then use an event to power on the relay and turn off the Hue bulbs if you wanted--the benefit here is that by the time this runs obviously the HS3 controller is running and the Hue bridge is back online. These relays are small and cheap but can only handle up to 400W or so (there is apparently a larger version that handles up to 1200W per relay). In my opinion using these is a better option than hardwiring Hue lights on. Of course if you live in a household where light switches won't be randomly toggled then maybe this isn't an issue.

Did you try using the restore options within HS3 "Include in power fail recovery"?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      Did you try using the restore options within HS3 "Include in power fail recovery"?
      I honestly have no idea what that does. The Hue bridge takes at least 30 seconds to initialize and my PC with Znet likely takes longer. In the middle of the night with 5000 lumens blasting that would seem like forever!

Comment

Sprange,

Cannot change the startup period ofcourse and am here in the luxorius situation that I cannot even remember where we had a brownout in the area where I live in (certainly did not happen in 25 years here).

It is a bad situation where Philips is stubborn at saying that lights should go on a full strength afte a power down, and not willing to change it. But with the suggestion you are doing, you will walk down in the morning after a brownout in the dark. So I would suggest to be selective, so at least some lights will be able to be controlled by Homeseer (and its recovery option) still. Combined by motion sensors and the right events, lights will be switched off once they get power back and report to the bridge.

Also a configuration with a UPS for the HS pc, again combined with the right events and recovery options for lights in the JowiHue plugin might just help you out?

Wim
        -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

At first I hated this feature but now it's the reason I use Hue bulbs in all my lamps just because visitors or family can simply click the light off and back on to have the light come on. Previously with Z-Wave or Insteon they would have to use a keypad on the wall. It would be nice though if they let you set it in the bulb what you want the on level to be.

I read on Reddit or elsewhere that Philips put it like that on purpose and has no plans on changing it as it's there for emergencies. If you have to call 911 or are in distress there's no tricks to getting the lamps to come on, at least according that post I had read from Philips. I like it also as a quick way to ditch the colour, like I have a Hue bulb in my ensuite shower and like making it dark purple or pink at night, but it's nice to be able to flip the switch off and on and have it be white if I don't want it all crazy.

Comment

Working...
          X