X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ports required for Telnet control

Port Forwarding, DHCP & eero mesh Router with Lutron Caseta Bridge Pro

Hello All,

I’ve perhaps foolishly gone and invested in an eero WiFi System. I like a lot of things about it, but after converting it from operating in bridge mode to performing as my router I receive this error when Starting the Lutron Caseta Plug-in

“A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host caseta” 192.xxx.x.x:23

I was curious what advice you had about port forwarding and DHCP reservations and how best to setup a system with a solution like eero.

I’ve setup dhcp and port forwarding for both HomeSeer port 8080 and Lutron port 23 but I either did it incorrectly or that isn’t the issue.

Thanks for the time, and any insights you can provide,
    Tsy

I have hard time to understand your question, the pro hub only need to contact the ip of the hub with the port 23. normally you will need to forward the port if your hub is not on your local network. I don't have any expertise with the eero system.

Comment

Originally posted by tsylandera View Post

Tsy
      Is the Caseta bridge plugged into your eero or in the router that you used to use? If you moved it to eero, it may have been assigned a different IP. Also, can you get to the bridge from the app on the phone?

It may be helpful to list your network topology. For example:
      Cable modem
      port 1 > eero WAN port
      port 2 > empty
      port 3 > empty
      port 4 > empty

Eero
      port 1 > Caseta Bridge WAN Port
      port 2 > Television WAN Port

Comment

You should not need port forwarding as this is only needed for inbound connections from the Internet. It would be a terrible idea from a security perspective as anybody on the Internet would be able to control your lights. Homeseer sits on the inside together with the Lutron bridge. You need to give the bridge a deterministic IP by either mapping its MAC address to a dynamically assigned, not sure whether Eero can do this, or by statically assigning one via the Lutron mobile app. HS and the bridge do not have to sit on the same network, however, if you want to use Homekit, than the bridge and your mobile devices as well as your Apple TV have to sit on the same network (broadcast domain). If you put the bridge on a different network, you need a device that can route between these two networks, such as Layer-3 switch, or a commercial firewall.

Comment

Originally posted by tsylandera View Post

Hello All,

I’ve perhaps foolishly gone and invested in an eero WiFi System. I like a lot of things about it, but after converting it from operating in bridge mode to performing as my router I receive this error when Starting the Lutron Caseta Plug-in

I was curious what advice you had about port forwarding and DHCP reservations and how best to setup a system with a solution like eero.

I’ve setup dhcp and port forwarding for both HomeSeer port 8080 and Lutron port 23 but I either did it incorrectly or that isn’t the issue.

Thanks for the time, and any insights you can provide,
          Tsy
          Hi Tsy, I know this is an old thread, ddi you ever get this to work with your eero system? I recently set up one Smart Bridge Pro on my eero system. I have my eero gateway configured as my system router. I first created an IP reservation for the SBP then plugged the SBP into wired Ethernet (connected to my gateway eero) and powered it up, it updated the firmware and then after some time, when the white LED ring settled down, I used the Lutron app (on iPhone) to find the SBP and configure it. All worked without a hitch, including Alexa integration. I did not have to open any ports on my eero router. Since I am moving from Wink I have a lot of Caseta devices to move over (50 from Wink plus a bunch more that were never connected to Wink). Once all my Caseta devices are configured in the SBP (or multiple SBPs if I need to) I will install Don's Caseta plugin and then configure HomeSeer to control Caseta.

The important thing is that you need to make sure the SBP has a fixed, known IP address so the plugin can find it (and so you can telnet to it from the command line if you want to do any debugging). In the example below, I configured my eero router to assign the IP address 192.168.7.201 to one of my SBPs (see eero app screenshot0.

If you want to check to see if you can talk to the SBP, fire up a talent client on your favorite computer connected to the same network as the SBP and listen for status message (or set a particular device to a specified intensity level for example):

Code:
          $ telnet 192.168.7.201
          Trying 192.168.7.201...
          Connected to 192.168.7.201.
          Escape character is '^]'.
          login: lutron
          password: integration
          GNET> ~OUTPUT,2,1,0.00
          ~OUTPUT,3,1,0.00
          ~OUTPUT,4,1,0.00
          ~OUTPUT,4,1,100.00
          ~OUTPUT,3,1,100.00