Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DonMor Lutron Caseta PI on RA2 Select Hub support for Occupancy / Vacancy Sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DonMor Lutron Caseta PI on RA2 Select Hub support for Occupancy / Vacancy Sensors

I purchased a Lutron Radio Powr Savr LRF2-OCR2B-P-WH Passive Infrared Ceiling Radio Powr Savr IR motion sensor and added it to my Lutron RA2 Select hub successfully using the Lutron App on my smartphone. Next, I attempted to add the unit's device ID to the DonMor Caseta PI's config page, but "Motion Sensor" is not one of the selectable device types for the "TYPE OF DEVICE" field in the PI's config page. Other posts here indicate support for Lutron motion sensors (and Fan Controller) was being worked on early in 2019.

QUESTION: Is support for Lutron motion / occupancy sensors possible or still in the works?

Thanks - Danne Peterson - Dan the LAN Man

Can you confirm if you receive the information from the telnet when the occupancy is activate with the RA2 select?

Thanks

Comment

Thanks for the follow-up, DonMor. Telnet is not showing any outputs for this Occupancy / Vacancy Sensor successfully added to the Lutron App. I can guess that is not good. I am concerned the occupancy Sensor could be faulty; however, I can pair the sensor directly to a Lutron dimmer (by putting the dimmer and sensor in the same GROUP of the Lutron App) and toggle that dimmer's load by pressing the "A" Button (LIGHT) on the sensor. I guess that means the sensor is communicating at least with Lutron wall dimmer. But IR motion (or lack of) does NOT toggle the dimmer - which seems wrong. Thus, I am not sure if this sensor is behaving normally. Its my first one; I may have to purchase another and test further. In any case, the Telnet feed contains no data related to the sensor. The Telnet feed DOES show the dimmer's toggle responses to my pressing and releasing the sensor's "A" button.

Comment

On the Lutron forum they had a post talking about this.
        https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...gration-events

Comment

So its not just me... my RA2 Select system is working as well as its creator intended (with no RA2S integration support for their well-engineered Occupancy / Vacancy sensors.. Well - I am still learning (and remembering how easy it is to assume "new, exciting and affordable" technology will be implemented exactly as one might dream: "works perfectly with no shortcomings." NOT! As GOOD as Lutron is in what they do, they too have plenty of room for improvements in our modern age of smart homes. I still believe open architecture and robust Integration is the key to everyone's long term success in this home automation industry.

Comment

I’m pretty sure you need the ra2 main repeater to see stuff via telnet.

Comment

mik3y: The RA2 Select hub (and IIRC - the Caseta hub, too) support telnet, echoing Pico Keypad and Wall Dimmer transmissions to and from HomeSeer via DonMor's Caseta PI. Unfortunately, Lutron's Occupancy Sensor actions are NOT echoed over RA2 Select telnet, thus cannot show status or trigger events in HS. I am told the Lutron RA2 Main Repeater does resolve that shortcoming. I am raising the issue with a SoCal-based Lutron Software Field Engineer I recently met. Danne

Comment

I have had to associate my motion sensor with RA2 plugs to get them to be used in homeseer. Not the solution you are looking for

Comment

Still wishing for Occupancy Sensor support via RA2 Select SmartHJub, Telnet and DonMor's HomeSeer Plug-ins...

Originally posted by Dan the LAN man View Post
                  Thanks for the follow-up, DonMor. Telnet is not showing any outputs for this Occupancy / Vacancy Sensor successfully added to the Lutron App. I can guess that is not good. I am concerned the occupancy Sensor could be faulty; however, I can pair the sensor directly to a Lutron dimmer (by putting the dimmer and sensor in the same GROUP of the Lutron App) and toggle that dimmer's load by pressing the "A" Button (LIGHT) on the sensor. I guess that means the sensor is communicating at least with Lutron wall dimmer. But IR motion (or lack of) does NOT toggle the dimmer - which seems wrong. Thus, I am not sure if this sensor is behaving normally. Its my first one; I may have to purchase another and test further. In any case, the Telnet feed contains no data related to the sensor. The Telnet feed DOES show the dimmer's toggle responses to my pressing and releasing the sensor's "A" button.
                  I was recently introduced to a Lutron Software Field Engineer here in SoCal. I seized the opportunity to inquire why Lutron Occupancy Sensor Data is not presented at the TELNET port of the RA2 Select Hub. Here is the FE's response email:

"Thanks for sharing info that our Caseta and RA2 Select systems do, in fact, support telnet integration today. This was news to me since I primarily work on commercial projects. I reached out to the leadership that runs these teams. They suggested that DonMor reach out to smartbridge@lutron.com to share more information about this specific application. This will allow them to hear and understand the feedback to consider it for future development."

I was also provided with an important Integration Protocol Guide http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/040249.pdf published by Lutron. I hope this can be helpful to the ongoing development of your plug-ins and HomeSeer integration of all things Lutron. Page 35 deals with Occupancy Sensors.

Dan the LAN Man

Comment

Hi All-

Wondering if there has been any progress with this PI + RA2 Select + Motion/Occupancy/Vacancy Sensors. I'm about to go-live soon with my RA2 Select implementation and had hoped to have several Motion or Occupancy sensor in place to trigger Rules.
                    Doing some reading it appears from some posts from late 2019 that this may currently NOT be working with RA2 Select.

Any details would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

unfortunately Lutron Casera and RA2 select don’t report the motion in the integration

Comment

You could add a phantom dimmer/switch to the R2S system

Comment

I can’t add a phantom or switch to the Caseta or RA2 Select, you need to do it with a real devices, if you have a friend who can share a switch, then you can add it to your system and give it back to him, this is the only way i can see.

Comment

Originally posted by DonMor View Post
                            unfortunately Lutron Casera and RA2 select don’t report the motion in the integration
                            Thank you for the reply DonMor. So, if I understand correctly. Caseta and RA2 Select have compatible motion sensors but the HS plugin/integration can NOT see the status of them.

If I were to move to full Radio RA2 does your other plugin support motion status via the integration? (Yes, all my switches and dimmers are compatible with full Radio RA2 and I know that I probably have to have someone come program the Lutron side of things).

Comment

All correct.I did PM you some details.

Comment

Working...
                              X