Lutron Morion Sensor - How fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lutron Morion Sensor - How fast

What’s the response of the motion sensors?

my plan is to use the motion sensors and the main repeater along with the Caseta pro and switches.

Homeseer will see it and turn on a Caseta switch.

what is the motion timing like? Is it fairly instant ?

The report is very fast, you will have a motion then it will turn off after a short time until the timer you setup in the parameter of the Lutron motion you won’t receive a motion

IT is not working like an alarm system

Comment

Originally posted by DonMor View Post
      The report is very fast, you will have a motion then it will turn off after a short time until the timer you setup in the parameter of the Lutron motion you won’t receive a motion

IT is not working like an alarm system
      Okay, my only concern was the speed of state changes.

I've purchased the RadioRA2 and 10 Occupancy wall sensors.

I will use these to control my Caseta Light switches and it also gives me the ability to buy some radiora2 scene switches too.

What kind of speed do you see in this kind of setup? are we talking 300ms range? This is what I see now with zigbee motion sensors and caseta switches using the Hubitat hub. FYI I'm moving away from Hubitat all together.

Comment

You will have the same speed

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Everything is ordered. I'm expecting it in the next 3 weeks.

Is there any chance I can get a discount for the plugin? I've purchased the Lutron Caseta plugin a couple months back.

Comment

I'd be curious if everything works as expected once set up. Please post your experience once it's been implemented, if you don't mind.

I'm also curious - why not just get the RR2 switches instead of Caseta and activate the motion sensors natively in RR2? I find the smaller buttons on the caseta to be more difficult to activate (I use my elbow when hands are full, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by mc97 View Post
              I'd be curious if everything works as expected once set up. Please post your experience once it's been implemented, if you don't mind.

I'm also curious - why not just get the RR2 switches instead of Caseta and activate the motion sensors natively in RR2? I find the smaller buttons on the caseta to be more difficult to activate (I use my elbow when hands are full, etc).
              Price, and I've already purchased all the Caseta switches. I plan to only buy scene base switches along with the motion sensors I've already purchased.

The setup should work fine since HS drives all automations. The reason I wouldn't want RR2 to do it is because I can use the motion sensors to create events that trigger when the house is occupied or not. Plus you can create longer light off automatons instead of the fixed 15 minutes. There is a lot more flexibility using HS to drive it all.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I bought all my RR2 stuff on Ebay which gets it a lot closer to Caseta since used Caseta doesn't go down in cost as much as RR2. (I was moving off of z-wave so had to buy new dimmers anyway).

I may experiment with occupancy sensors through homeseer myself so I could do dimming levels based on time of day, etc.

One tip - if you can find RR2 wall keypads on Ebay that are the wrong color, wrong number of buttons, etc, if they have an engraving certificate then you can order a button kit of whatever color or combination you want. Often times non-white keypads go for lower cost than the white ones which seem to be more popular thus more expensive.

I got all my occupancy sensors on Ebay too. thus far none of the batteries has even needed replaced (they last 10 years).

Comment

Originally posted by mc97 View Post
                  Thanks for the reply. I bought all my RR2 stuff on Ebay which gets it a lot closer to Caseta since used Caseta doesn't go down in cost as much as RR2. (I was moving off of z-wave so had to buy new dimmers anyway).

I may experiment with occupancy sensors through homeseer myself so I could do dimming levels based on time of day, etc.

One tip - if you can find RR2 wall keypads on Ebay that are the wrong color, wrong number of buttons, etc, if they have an engraving certificate then you can order a button kit of whatever color or combination you want. Often times non-white keypads go for lower cost than the white ones which seem to be more popular thus more expensive.

I got all my occupancy sensors on Ebay too. thus far none of the batteries has even needed replaced (they last 10 years).
                  Excellent info to know.

i may move and leave all my Caseta gear with the house.

So if I can aim for all Ra2 devices off eBay that would be better....

Comment

So my speed is horrible. Am I doing something wrong?

i walk in the room and it takes a full 5 seconds before the light comes on?????

watching the motion sensor status graphic updates fast but it’s another full 5 seconds before the light comes on...

Comment

So this is not the RA2 sensor please post your event

Comment

So this is not the RA2 sensor please post your event
                        Yes it’s an RA2 sensor. I’m using Caseta switches and Homeseer to drive the event.

Attached Files

Comment

What I mean is if the ra2 sensor in HS trigger fast the problem is not the sensor, try to remove the AND IF virtual condition to see if it is faster

Comment

What I mean is if the ra2 sensor in HS trigger fast the problem is not the sensor, try to remove the AND IF virtual condition to see if it is faster
                            No difference.

i counted out loud and took 9 seconds before the light came on.

i suspecting something related to the telnet connections and delays ???

its weird, the status graphic reports activity yet the log is behind ??

Comment

To add to this, when using another sensor and same rules it was lightening fast so I have no clue why it’s so slow........

it’s like you see the motion sensor graphic, takes 2 seconds to report in logs, sends the event to Caseta switch, takes a couple more seconds, then it turns on...

Comment

Working...
                              X