Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polling & Ra2 glitch

DonMor,

Great plugin. I've been using it for over 3 years now. Maybe 5. Or whenever you made. It has been incredibly rock solid and basically has never even hiccupped on me a single time. Very nice piece of work.

I've got a problem I finally took the time to track down today, that is a Lutron problem. I have timers in HS3 that start when fans are turned on which then turn them off after 30 mins or something. For years, the fans in my master bath only trip the timer about half the time. I've ignored it since my bathroom is the furthest point from the repeater, albeit well within the spec range. I telnetted into the main repeater and can see that the device status also isn't updated in the main repeater, which of course is why the plugin doesn't pick it up.

Today, I decided to fully dig into it and this is what I discovered: pressing any combination of the 8 switches in my master bathroom 100 times will yield 100 successful device status updates in the repeater, and correspondingly in HS via your plugin. Perfect. However, all 8 of these switches are paired up in four double-gang boxes. If I press any two switches at the exact same time (the way I do every morning when walking into the bathroom), then about 50% of the time only one of the device reports makes it to the repeater. This is my problem.

Unless you have some insight into this, I will be calling Lutron because this is definitely a Lutron problem, not your plugin, since one of the device reports is not showing up in the repeater.

What does this have to do with DonMor: Device polling. While I plan to work with Lutron on this, I am not super confident there will be a fix for it. It's probably just a weakness in their proprietary clearconnect wireless network. Seems like a pretty big issue to me; I am not the only person who hits both switches in a double-gange box all the time. I planned to get around it by some triggered device strating a poll which I see is an option when I create an event in HS3. I created an event I manuallly run which does nothing but "polls all ra2 devices", and nothing seems to happen. Does that action only poll the repeater's listed status of the devices? Or can you somehow have the plugin push the repeater to poll all devices? I had hoped it would push a mass poll request to the repeater. With this, I could do some poll requests throughout the day as "clean up" of sorts, and maybe even perform them after bathroom lights are turned on or something, when the problem usually happens. However, there is not clearconnect wireless activity when I trigger the event. If the "poll" is just the plugin getting all devices statuses from the repeater, then it's functioning as it should. If the polling is supposed to trigger the repeater asking every device about it's status, then it's not functioning correctly.

Polling is not a perfect solution, it's a workaround, but it's the only thing I can think of right now. I guess I could stop pressing two buttons at once, but that is seriously annoying.... I could also use voice commands or touch panels or some other way to affect multiple switches at once (that always updates all statuses perfectly), but I believe that home automation should not require me to work harder or work around my natural flow, so I'm trying to make this work.

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by fran4383 View Post
    DonMor,

Great plugin. I've been using it for over 3 years now. Maybe 5. Or whenever you made. It has been incredibly rock solid and basically has never even hiccupped on me a single time. Very nice piece of work.

I've got a problem I finally took the time to track down today, that is a Lutron problem. I have timers in HS3 that start when fans are turned on which then turn them off after 30 mins or something. For years, the fans in my master bath only trip the timer about half the time. I've ignored it since my bathroom is the furthest point from the repeater, albeit well within the spec range. I telnetted into the main repeater and can see that the device status also isn't updated in the main repeater, which of course is why the plugin doesn't pick it up.

Today, I decided to fully dig into it and this is what I discovered: pressing any combination of the 8 switches in my master bathroom 100 times will yield 100 successful device status updates in the repeater, and correspondingly in HS via your plugin. Perfect. However, all 8 of these switches are paired up in four double-gang boxes. If I press any two switches at the exact same time (the way I do every morning when walking into the bathroom), then about 50% of the time only one of the device reports makes it to the repeater. This is my problem.
    I did try the 2 switch at the same time this morning and had the same result.

Unless you have some insight into this, I will be calling Lutron because this is definitely a Lutron problem, not your plugin, since one of the device reports is not showing up in the repeater.

What does this have to do with DonMor: Device polling. While I plan to work with Lutron on this, I am not super confident there will be a fix for it. It's probably just a weakness in their proprietary clearconnect wireless network. Seems like a pretty big issue to me; I am not the only person who hits both switches in a double-gange box all the time. I planned to get around it by some triggered device strating a poll which I see is an option when I create an event in HS3. I created an event I manuallly run which does nothing but "polls all ra2 devices", and nothing seems to happen. Does that action only poll the repeater's listed status of the devices? Or can you somehow have the plugin push the repeater to poll all devices? I had hoped it would push a mass poll request to the repeater. With this, I could do some poll requests throughout the day as "clean up" of sorts, and maybe even perform them after bathroom lights are turned on or something, when the problem usually happens. However, there is not clearconnect wireless activity when I trigger the event. If the "poll" is just the plugin getting all devices statuses from the repeater, then it's functioning as it should. If the polling is supposed to trigger the repeater asking every device about it's status, then it's not functioning correctly.

I did look at the integration and nothing can poll the status from the switch, the poll only report the current status that the repeater have internally.

Polling is not a perfect solution, it's a workaround, but it's the only thing I can think of right now. I guess I could stop pressing two buttons at once, but that is seriously annoying.... I could also use voice commands or touch panels or some other way to affect multiple switches at once (that always updates all statuses perfectly), but I believe that home automation should not require me to work harder or work around my natural flow, so I'm trying to make this work.

Any thoughts?
    The only solution I see is change one switch for a Hybrid keypad or add a scene pico beside your switch.

Comment

I became a Lutron dealer just so I could buy direct and program my own gear for my home. I'm calling tech support today to see what's up with it.

Comment

I have a ticket into their tier 2 support... we'll see what comes of it...

Comment

It's a RA2 zero day known issue at this point.... and they're not doing anything about it. They suggested getting a hybrid keypad, which I'd already considered but just doesn't fit the scenario that well. I'm not thrilled that they won't fix it, but at least I know about it now....

Comment

Thank you for your input, I think this is a communication issue that they will have difficulty tu result

Comment

Working...
            X