Magic Home Plugin - Support for addressable RGB controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
    I believe that Tasmota firmware supports this device with a number of special effects. There are many sources on how to install Tasmota on an ESP8266. I have used it for my Notification panel and Messaging sign described in http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT.pdf. Espurina firmware also manages these. I put together a version for Pete who only had a monochrome need.
    Is there plug in for WLED? i have looked into DrZzs video's and the ESP8266 NodeMCU to see if i could use it with HS to control my future Xmas lights on and around the house that i want to build this year, i tried LimitlessLED and read up on Greig Dempster Arduino Software Plugin but i dont code so i haven't figured out away to do this, i was hoping Fuzzy or another Dev would offer a plug in for this at some point , The info on tynick.com for smart things looks interesting and hopeful, With WLED and Fuzzy's plug in i could control most of my LED projects!!

Comment

I was looking for the exact same thing :-)
      If these is no WLED plugin, I might create one ...

Comment

I would not have thought you need an exclusive plugin for this, WLED has a JSON API, but no discovery methods. so any plugin would need to be hardcoded with its IP. so no DHCP for the device.

WLED however supports MQTT so surely that would be the route to integrate it, same with all the other Tasmota variant firmwares. there are a number of homeseer MQTT plugins to choose from.

Comment

Might add it to my esphome plugin

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

Comment

The WS2811 should work much like the WS2812B without resolution to individual pixels,but groups of nine and 12 V for power which likely is preferred anyway. Just load Tasmota or other compatible firmware on some ESP8266 device and use the MQTT interface per the API of the firmware that was loaded. I suspect the stumbling block for the novice is flashing the ESP8266 as the interface with HS via MQTT already exists. I suspect what is being requested is a plugin that does not require flashing of the microcontroller.

Comment

Originally posted by kriz83 View Post
              Might add it to my esphome plugin

Count me in If you decide to add it, i unfortunately don't know anything about JSON or MQTT so a plug in would be worth having and could help others like me!

Comment

As Michael indicated, tou still have to flash the controller and setup an MQTT broker

Comment

I looked at the WLED wiki and what I got from it is that it has more special effects supported than Tasmota, but otherwise the HS control interface looks to be similar with color, brightness, and effect. What I did with mcsMQTT was setup color control via HS color picker, brightness with slider and on-off with buttons. Also provided color space conversions so HSB or XY devices could be controlled with the HS RGB color picker. I do not have provision for Effect select.

in general mcsMQTT has a device contro/status type that provides the appropriate glue between HS and the device. I can add a WLED type or an effect type, but some input on how one desires HS to be able to control WLED is desired. It seems straightforward to me, but maybe I am missing something that is special with WLED. Just let me know or if kriz83 wants to do a new plugin or wants to rebrand his ESPhome one to be ESPHome-WLED that is fine too. For those that do not have a MQTT environment already then mcsMQTT would likely be easier since it has the broker built into the plugin.

Any ESP8266 device should be fine as the host. The actual magic home ones required tack solder so not as easy as standard development boards such as Wemo mini or even Sonoff basic.

WLED is open source so I could add the rotary encoder as I did for Pete for local control of brightness. Of course that means you would want to include it with the hardware build.

Comment

From what little i know, i was hoping to follow the video instructions below from DR Zzs video to setup a nodecmu then trigger some of the built in or custom effects through homeseer based on dates and times for addressable led lights around the house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXvtxwK3jRk

Comment

Discovery is the same as for normal ESPHome lights, so it should not be an issue to add it. It will be possible once i have the light component added, don't have exact dates yet though, working on the cover component now (for blinds/garage/...).

You could try Michael's plugin, I've been using it for a long time.

Comment

Out of curiosity would these also be controllable through homeseer? it uses the Smart Life app which looks similar to MagicLight

https://www.amazon.com/Novostella-27...s%2C134&sr=8-4

Comment

Originally posted by ocyberbum View Post
                          Out of curiosity would these also be controllable through homeseer? it uses the Smart Life app which looks similar to MagicLight

https://www.amazon.com/Novostella-27...s%2C134&sr=8-4
                          They are Tuya Lights. They won't work with this plugin. But there is a HS3 plugin available I think. However homeseer include a Tuya plugin free for HS4 which I am currently testing on my hs4 install and it works

Comment

The WS2811 should work much like the WS2812B without resolution to individual pixels,but groups of nine and 12 V for power which likely is preferred anyway. Just load Tasmota or other compatible firmware on some ESP8266 device and use the MQTT interface per the API of the firmware that was loaded. I suspect the stumbling block for the novice is flashing the ESP8266 as the interface with HS via MQTT already exists. I suspect what is being requested is a plugin that does not require flashing of the microcontroller.
                            Hi Michael, I know very little, if anything when it comes to MQTT and boards like the ESP8266, however the stumbling block for me would be the HS integration. I watched a couple of videos on flashing the boards and it didn’t appear to be much of a learning curve. I just don’t have your expertise with MQTT and how to then integrate the boards with HS. If you know of a way to bridge that gap, that would be great. I watched a video where the guy flashed the board and then input the IP into (I assume) the plugin for Home Assistant and it created the devices for an addressable LED strip.

I have looked briefly at your MQTT documentation, no doubt it is an amazing plugin, to a novice (only recently exposed to MQTT) like myself it is a little overwhelming. I don’t mean any offense, it could be I just need to spend more time with it. There will certainly be some new vocabulary to learn but from what I’ve learned, it can open up a bigger world for Home Automation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
                            Plugin's:
                            BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                            EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                            weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

I will give you the step by step on integrating WLED with mcsMQTT. mcsMQTT is able to provide the list selection for effect, on/off button, slider for brightness and color picker for color selection. What other aspects of WLED are you looking to have in HS?

I initially tried to flash the WLED version 9 beta onto a magichome board that was previously running Espurna. It did not bring up an WiFi AP so I flashed the released version 8 on a D1 Mini and same story of no AP setup by WLED. Tried clearing flash and reinstall and again no luck with WLED running in ESP8266. Looked at the serial console when booting and no feedback on the console. I will play with it some more such as with source or give ESP32 a try. This is a part of the process that should be easy with multiple WLED users and flashing is something I do often.

Comment

I will give you the step by step on integrating WLED with mcsMQTT. mcsMQTT is able to provide the list selection for effect, on/off button, slider for brightness and color picker for color selection. What other aspects of WLED are you looking to have in HS?
                                Wow! Very kind of you, and greatly appreciated! For now that would be more than enough. I saw that there was a way to setup Presets/shortcuts for favorite effects that I was thinking of using so I could just have HS select from a shorter list of frequently used effects. Not sure if that’s possible?

I initially tried to flash the WLED version 9 beta onto a magichome board that was previously running Espurna. It did not bring up an WiFi AP so I flashed the released version 8 on a D1 Mini and same story of no AP setup by WLED. Tried clearing flash and reinstall and again no luck with WLED running in ESP8266. Looked at the serial console when booting and no feedback on the console. I will play with it some more such as with source or give ESP32 a try. This is a part of the process that should be easy with multiple WLED users and flashing is something I do often.
                                The video that I watched was flashing a ESP8266, not the magic home board and it of course worked for the video...didn’t make it appear difficult but obviously from your experience, it’s not always easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                                HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
                                Plugin's:
                                BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                                EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                                weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Working...
                                X