Version 3.4.x.x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Michael.

Searching today relating to the SonOff modules based on the 8266 see that they used to make an LED controller but no longer sell it.

Then I found this relating to the Sonoffs:

ESP8266 has only software PWM. There are known issues with low and high duty cycles (flickering) especially when you have network traffic. I think there won't be a satisfying solution using software PWM if your device has still some other work to do. What I could think of is the use of hardware pwm with something like https://www.adafruit.com/product/815. I2C is impemented so we would "just" need a driver and maybe a board layout like my IRremote extension to fit into the sonoff.

So switched gears here and googled tested LED firmware upgradable controllers recommended by the Tasmota and ESPurna authors. There is a bunch with Mosfet's. More devices have been tested with the EPurna firmware.

Footprints are smaller than the cococation I made with the dimmer control on it.

Now looking to see if there are any which are firmware upgradable and have local on / off and dimming controls of LEDs. Looking too to make sure dim level returns if I power on and off the module like the current relay toggle does on the SonOff SV.

The LED Wifi controllers are cheap on Amazon and Ebay. Many brands out there but only a few different designs.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.00
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Pete

I've only read your last post.....why dont you use these, I've given them a go and work great with PWM. Flash it with Tasmota.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/16Mi...ceBeautifyAB=0

As these devices are really cheap, you can put a sonoff basic close and use the pins for switches to run "scenes" in the tasmota code to control the leds.

I've just flashed ESPeasy and it does look like it has a dim function....

Also there is another easy way, the Arduino PLUGIN has PWM control of outputs for lighting ie; RGB. I've run it before using TIP122 as outputs, worked VERY well.....

You have TONS of options ;-)

I bought a few RGBW strips for the stairs but after seeing addressable LEDS that I can put under each tread, I reckon I'll go that way.....

Ahh the choices :-)

Pete
      HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Thank you Pete. Yeah there are many choices out there in internetlandia.

Decided maybe on the the H801 LED controller. Big MOSFETs. Large board. Mostly cuz I can solder on the JTAG pins and leave them in place on the board while I tinker with it.

It is much more than I really need as I am only playing with one color LEDs and probably will never install RGB LEDs.

Really too it appears that I only really need the dim function for the 5000k SMD5050 LEDs.

The warmer 3000k and 4000k could have been left at one brightness level.

Just want to make sure if I power off the controller it resumes where it left off; IE: on and at whatever dim level it was set to.

- Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.00
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Pete and Pete, haha, I use those small wifi led controllers, flashed, and they are awesome. Maybe a little hard to solder on but tiny and ready to go for under 10 bucks.
          John

Comment

Working...
          X