No announcement yet.

Irrigation control with mcsTasmota

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filtering for RSSI I can see one Sonoff with a payload of 68 and the problem Sonoff of 58. I can't access the webpage for the other values you were curious about.
    You can see from my garage door LWT graph that RSSI values in the range you have have resulted in going offline with some regularity. Since my others with higher RSSI don't exhibit this behavior I think the solution path I would take is to improve the signal strength. One concept is to add an external antennae, but this is a more serious hack. The other is to setup another AP closer to the Sonoff units. Suggest also looking for congestion. Changing the channel of the AP may improve the situation. I'm not a network guru, but just talking out loud.

Is there some way to program the modules to turn off if contact is lost? I was looking at your image of publishing but wasn't clear if I could just have the relays default to open.
    While this is possible, I think the current design is preferred. Each relay accepts max on and off times. Take for example an irrigation schedule that has been programmed with max on of 32 minutes and HS is setup with an event to turn relay OFF after 30 minutes. If the Sonoff drops offline after 10 minutes and HS OFF command is not delivered then the Sonoff itself will turn the relay off in another 22 minutes. (2 minutes after HS would have).

The same logic is applied to assure that irrigation happens at some minimum interval. This min irrigation feature is not something that devices such as Rain8 can provide.

Note also that MQTT protocol is designed for devices that tend to drop offline at random times. The MQTT broker knows the device is offline and will hold the command until it comes back online. With other protocols one must put this logic in HS/plugin to assure the device receives the desired command.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. I'll implement your backup technique. I'll try and boost the signal strength, although both sonoff units are in the same spot.

Appreciate the help.
      Don

Comment

To revisit this, I have switched AP's on the offending Sonoff, and as of now it has been solid for three days. I hope this declaration of success isn't the kiss of death.

Thanks Michael and Pete for all the help.
        Don

Comment

I'm having a bit of an issue with one of the Sonoff's dropping off the network for a bit and then coming back to life. I'm going to see how long it stays deaf. I need to come up with a strategy to deal with this. Probably the smartest thing would be to put it on the same AP as the other Sonoff, which seems to be much more consistent.

All in all, still pretty happy with this.
          Don

Comment

Working...
          X