Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonoff for Outside - battery operated questions

@Michael,

Want to purchase one of these for use outside with batteries. These are priced about the same as the SonOff WiFi basic modules.

[ATTACH]70138[/ATTACH]

For use with SonOff Tasmota firmware and lightning sensor board.

Currently using this lightning sensor board with an RPi inside of the house but it is not too sensitive.

It is using a first generation RPi (Zee repurposed).

[ATTACH]70140[/ATTACH]

I read that it works better without a ground and outside and using an arduino.

I would put in a weather proof case with batteries which should last a while.

Eyewink ~ $23.15 USD

[ATTACH]70139[/ATTACH]
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel CPU - Mono 5.20
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 5.20

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

For battery operation it is desirable to only wake the unit when an event occurs. I have seen use of Deep Sleep and even better just using the event to apply power. The ESP wakes up, connects to WiFi, sends notification and then goes back to sleep.

The other approach is to add solar panel to keep the battery charged.

Perhaps for your application with a short lightning season the battery will survive. I don't recall the lifetimes when I was working with LoRa. WiFi is a hog so you likley do not want the chatty periodic status messages, but if MQTT is used then the broker will be doing periodic pings.

Comment

Thank you Michael.

The AS3935 works only with lightning around. Lightning here in the midwest does occur during the winter (all year around). Might be a futile effort as I can purchase a battery operated inside lightning sensor using the AS3935 chip for around $20 with LED's on it.

The one I built and have connected to the RPi works but really only with overhead lightning or very near by lightning. For me the old HB lightning counter in the attic works better even though it is omni directional. I did try to put the RPi-3935 in the attic and reception was the same as on the main floor of the house.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel CPU - Mono 5.20
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 5.20

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Working...
      X