Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What broker is everyone using (Windows)?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What broker is everyone using (Windows)?

    I'm currently using EMQTT as a broker, it runs on Windows but there are multiple issues. I'm looking for another option. Was wondering what everyone is using?

  • #2
    Here just googled for a Windows mosquitto broker and recommended first one that came up on the list.

    How to Install The Mosquitto MQTT Broker on Windows



    You can also run it on an RPi if you have an extra one sitting around. Here running the broker on an RPi2 with Stretch on it.
    - Pete

    Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.00
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

    X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by dannieboiz View Post
      I'm currently using EMQTT as a broker, it runs on Windows but there are multiple issues. I'm looking for another option. Was wondering what everyone is using?
      For quick and easy Mosquitto is ok. For a prod use I use RabbitMQ

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the quick response, I saw Mosquitto as well but didn't want to test a bunch of broker. Figured it's best to ask those that are using it for HS already. This is my first experience with MQTT so I wanted to make sure I'm learning one that I will continue using. Took me all day to figure out how to get started with EMQTT only to put it to waste.

        I like the look of Rabbit, looks relatively simple to get started.

        BTW: My main issue with EMQTT is that it can't start with Windows as service and when I do reboot my PC all of the subscribed topics get deleted.

        Any issues with RabbitMQ?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dannieboiz View Post
          Thanks for the quick response, I saw Mosquitto as well but didn't want to test a bunch of broker. Figured it's best to ask those that are using it for HS already. This is my first experience with MQTT so I wanted to make sure I'm learning one that I will continue using. Took me all day to figure out how to get started with EMQTT only to put it to waste.

          I like the look of Rabbit, looks relatively simple to get started.

          BTW: My main issue with EMQTT is that it can't start with Windows as service and when I do reboot my PC all of the subscribed topics get deleted.

          Any issues with RabbitMQ?
          First RabbitMQ looks simple but a Windows setup is not simple if you're not comfortable with the command line. If you want really simple then mosquitto is the easiest and most straight forward. With mosquitto a lot of people use it so you'll get more support as well.

          I like RabbitMQ as it's much more robust and I'm used to it from Linux use so I just used it on Windows as well.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jeubanks View Post

            First RabbitMQ looks simple but a Windows setup is not simple if you're not comfortable with the command line. If you want really simple then mosquitto is the easiest and most straight forward. With mosquitto a lot of people use it so you'll get more support as well.

            I like RabbitMQ as it's much more robust and I'm used to it from Linux use so I just used it on Windows as well.
            I'm ok with command lines if it's during the initial process. As long as I don't have to manage the topics all from command line then I'm ok. I prefer the point and click method.

            I actually got Rabbit running and I'm logged into the dashboard. The language is different here from what I gathered from EMQTT, Exchanges, Queues etc... is new. I'm reading through some of the how to's at the moment.

            FWIW: I did try to download the Mosquitto installer but it's no longer available.

            Comment


            • #7
              Generally you don't do much/anything in regards to topics on the Broker. You just setup the entry point and permissions and really that's about it The clients actually do more work of fetching and processing.

              Yeah that's weird that Mosquitto installers aren't available. Hmm...

              Comment


              • #8
                So I went through a few different sites and found the installer for Mosquitto... you're right about RabbitMQ, getting the dashboard up and running was the easy part. Anything else, I couldn't (don't know how to) find enough info to get started.

                Anyways I was able to get Mosquitto running as a service on a test machine and was able to subscribe to the previous topics that was already set up from EMQTT in HS and the devices responded just fine. At the moment, all I'm using it for is for BlueIris to send a "Motion" trigger to a few VD. I just ordered some Sonoff to play with and I would definitely need to learn this MQTT stuff more.

                It appears to also be all command line...? Is there a dashboard to see what's going on with things?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dannieboiz View Post
                  So I went through a few different sites and found the installer for Mosquitto... you're right about RabbitMQ, getting the dashboard up and running was the easy part. Anything else, I couldn't (don't know how to) find enough info to get started.

                  Anyways I was able to get Mosquitto running as a service on a test machine and was able to subscribe to the previous topics that was already set up from EMQTT in HS and the devices responded just fine. At the moment, all I'm using it for is for BlueIris to send a "Motion" trigger to a few VD. I just ordered some Sonoff to play with and I would definitely need to learn this MQTT stuff more.

                  It appears to also be all command line...? Is there a dashboard to see what's going on with things?
                  All that for Blue Iris? Blue Iris supports sending HTTP command for motion alerts. Could have sent an HTTP directly to HS3 to turn on/off a Virtual Switch.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post

                    All that for Blue Iris? Blue Iris supports sending HTTP command for motion alerts. Could have sent an HTTP directly to HS3 to turn on/off a Virtual Switch.
                    No, not just for BI.... it's for 1st. "self advancement" 2nd.. these cheap Sonoff switches are making me itch. I got a couple on its way. Blue Iris was what I have available to get the ball rolling immediately.

                    And also... I ran out of things to do with HomeSeer. Just needed something new to do.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by dannieboiz View Post

                      No, not just for BI.... it's for 1st. "self advancement" 2nd.. these cheap Sonoff switches are making me itch. I got a couple on its way. Blue Iris was what I have available to get the ball rolling immediately.

                      And also... I ran out of things to do with HomeSeer. Just needed something new to do.
                      Oh well then it's completely understandable... expected really!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You might look at running the broker in a dedicated device. Take a look at this. A broker for $20. This is somewhat technical, but Andreas offer a image for a "turnkey" install.

                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpg6RSHS4Zc&t=245s

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Here have installed a broker on an OpenWRT micro router. Works fine.

                          opkg update

                          opkg install mosquitto mosquitto-client libmosquitto



                          Also there is some documentation out there on converting an updated SonOff $4 WiFi device to a Mosquitto Broker..except that the broker will be wireless.



                          Many folks just install a broker on a raspberry pi - any raspberry pi will do even one you are using for something else on your network...easy peasy installation

                          sudo apt-get install mosquitto

                          is all you have to do. Then on the configurations for the Mosquitto Server (Broker) just use the IP of the device you have configured to be the broker.
                          - Pete

                          Auto mator
                          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.00
                          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

                          X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jimbell View Post
                            You might look at running the broker in a dedicated device. Take a look at this. A broker for $20. This is somewhat technical, but Andreas offer a image for a "turnkey" install.

                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpg6RSHS4Zc&t=245s
                            I'm now running Mosquito and MQTT.fx on the same PC as HS3. Seems to be doing the trick.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by dannieboiz View Post

                              It appears to also be all command line...? Is there a dashboard to see what's going on with things?
                              I use mosquitto running as a service on Windows. command line client is OK for debugging, mcsMQTT makes a good dashboard of the traffic for me. Never had to dig any deeper than that.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X