Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What broker is everyone using (Windows)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What broker is everyone using (Windows)?

I'm currently using EMQTT as a broker, it runs on Windows but there are multiple issues. I'm looking for another option. Was wondering what everyone is using?

Here just googled for a Windows mosquitto broker and recommended first one that came up on the list.

How to Install The Mosquitto MQTT Broker on Windows

You can also run it on an RPi if you have an extra one sitting around. Here running the broker on an RPi2 with Stretch on it.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by dannieboiz View Post
      I'm currently using EMQTT as a broker, it runs on Windows but there are multiple issues. I'm looking for another option. Was wondering what everyone is using?
      For quick and easy Mosquitto is ok. For a prod use I use RabbitMQ

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, I saw Mosquitto as well but didn't want to test a bunch of broker. Figured it's best to ask those that are using it for HS already. This is my first experience with MQTT so I wanted to make sure I'm learning one that I will continue using. Took me all day to figure out how to get started with EMQTT only to put it to waste.

I like the look of Rabbit, looks relatively simple to get started.

BTW: My main issue with EMQTT is that it can't start with Windows as service and when I do reboot my PC all of the subscribed topics get deleted.

Any issues with RabbitMQ?

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, I saw Mosquitto as well but didn't want to test a bunch of broker. Figured it's best to ask those that are using it for HS already. This is my first experience with MQTT so I wanted to make sure I'm learning one that I will continue using. Took me all day to figure out how to get started with EMQTT only to put it to waste.

I like the look of Rabbit, looks relatively simple to get started.

BTW: My main issue with EMQTT is that it can't start with Windows as service and when I do reboot my PC all of the subscribed topics get deleted.

Any issues with RabbitMQ?
          First RabbitMQ looks simple but a Windows setup is not simple if you're not comfortable with the command line. If you want really simple then mosquitto is the easiest and most straight forward. With mosquitto a lot of people use it so you'll get more support as well.

I like RabbitMQ as it's much more robust and I'm used to it from Linux use so I just used it on Windows as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post

First RabbitMQ looks simple but a Windows setup is not simple if you're not comfortable with the command line. If you want really simple then mosquitto is the easiest and most straight forward. With mosquitto a lot of people use it so you'll get more support as well.

I like RabbitMQ as it's much more robust and I'm used to it from Linux use so I just used it on Windows as well.
            I'm ok with command lines if it's during the initial process. As long as I don't have to manage the topics all from command line then I'm ok. I prefer the point and click method.

I actually got Rabbit running and I'm logged into the dashboard. The language is different here from what I gathered from EMQTT, Exchanges, Queues etc... is new. I'm reading through some of the how to's at the moment.

FWIW: I did try to download the Mosquitto installer but it's no longer available.

Comment

Generally you don't do much/anything in regards to topics on the Broker. You just setup the entry point and permissions and really that's about it The clients actually do more work of fetching and processing.

Yeah that's weird that Mosquitto installers aren't available. Hmm...

Comment

So I went through a few different sites and found the installer for Mosquitto... you're right about RabbitMQ, getting the dashboard up and running was the easy part. Anything else, I couldn't (don't know how to) find enough info to get started.

Anyways I was able to get Mosquitto running as a service on a test machine and was able to subscribe to the previous topics that was already set up from EMQTT in HS and the devices responded just fine. At the moment, all I'm using it for is for BlueIris to send a "Motion" trigger to a few VD. I just ordered some Sonoff to play with and I would definitely need to learn this MQTT stuff more.

It appears to also be all command line...? Is there a dashboard to see what's going on with things?

Comment

So I went through a few different sites and found the installer for Mosquitto... you're right about RabbitMQ, getting the dashboard up and running was the easy part. Anything else, I couldn't (don't know how to) find enough info to get started.

Anyways I was able to get Mosquitto running as a service on a test machine and was able to subscribe to the previous topics that was already set up from EMQTT in HS and the devices responded just fine. At the moment, all I'm using it for is for BlueIris to send a "Motion" trigger to a few VD. I just ordered some Sonoff to play with and I would definitely need to learn this MQTT stuff more.

It appears to also be all command line...? Is there a dashboard to see what's going on with things?
                  All that for Blue Iris? Blue Iris supports sending HTTP command for motion alerts. Could have sent an HTTP directly to HS3 to turn on/off a Virtual Switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post

All that for Blue Iris? Blue Iris supports sending HTTP command for motion alerts. Could have sent an HTTP directly to HS3 to turn on/off a Virtual Switch.
                    No, not just for BI.... it's for 1st. "self advancement" 2nd.. these cheap Sonoff switches are making me itch. I got a couple on its way. Blue Iris was what I have available to get the ball rolling immediately.

And also... I ran out of things to do with HomeSeer. Just needed something new to do.

Comment

No, not just for BI.... it's for 1st. "self advancement" 2nd.. these cheap Sonoff switches are making me itch. I got a couple on its way. Blue Iris was what I have available to get the ball rolling immediately.

And also... I ran out of things to do with HomeSeer. Just needed something new to do.
                      Oh well then it's completely understandable... expected really!

Comment

You might look at running the broker in a dedicated device. Take a look at this. A broker for $20. This is somewhat technical, but Andreas offer a image for a "turnkey" install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpg6RSHS4Zc&t=245s

Comment

Here have installed a broker on an OpenWRT micro router. Works fine.

opkg update

opkg install mosquitto mosquitto-client libmosquitto

Also there is some documentation out there on converting an updated SonOff $4 WiFi device to a Mosquitto Broker..except that the broker will be wireless.

Many folks just install a broker on a raspberry pi - any raspberry pi will do even one you are using for something else on your network...easy peasy installation

sudo apt-get install mosquitto

is all you have to do. Then on the configurations for the Mosquitto Server (Broker) just use the IP of the device you have configured to be the broker.
                          - Pete

Auto mator
                          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by jimbell View Post
                            You might look at running the broker in a dedicated device. Take a look at this. A broker for $20. This is somewhat technical, but Andreas offer a image for a "turnkey" install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpg6RSHS4Zc&t=245s
                            I'm now running Mosquito and MQTT.fx on the same PC as HS3. Seems to be doing the trick.

Comment

I use mosquitto running as a service on Windows. command line client is OK for debugging, mcsMQTT makes a good dashboard of the traffic for me. Never had to dig any deeper than that.

Comment

Working...
                              X