Wi-Fi Smart Dimmer Switch $40 (2 pack) on sale at Costco of Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wi-Fi Smart Dimmer Switch $40 (2 pack) on sale at Costco of Canada

Just posting this and wondering if anyone has JTAG'd these switches with Tasmota firmware?

Repost here from the Sonoff Google groups.

Would be nice to be able to control these with Mosquitto.

- Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
    HS4 Pro - V4.0.9.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Hi Pete,

Do you know which plugin can control this dimmers? Model Number WF500D

Comment

No direct experience. Seems like it is not Tuya app so likely cannot use Tuya Convert for OTA install of Tasmota. Pictures do not provide insight of how easy to open to use JTAG. Complaint in reviews is that they are oversized so cannot install in duplex or triplex configurations. There are often Martin Jerry dimmers on Amazon lightning deals that are know to be able to install Tasmota of whatever firmware flavor is your preference.

Comment

Hi Michael,
        Thank you for the info, Got for of these as present. I'm trying to find purpose for them beside android app control.

Best Regards
        Tim

Comment

Can they be open without destroying the case? Normally the circuit board labels the pins used to flash firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
            Can they be open without destroying the case? Normally the circuit board labels the pins used to flash firmware.
            Will check tonight. Sorry, didn't see your message.

Can you explain how you can flash firmware?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

There a number of YouTube videos that describe how to flash. Typically one uses a 3.3V USB/Serial adapter to establish a connection between the device and the PC. The ESP8266 uses one pin (GPIO0) to know if the processor should enter flash mode. GPIO0 to ground during power-up will put it in flash mode. RX and TX between the board and adapter are crossstrapped so that RX goes to TX and visa versa. The adapter 3.3V and Gnd are also connected to the board. Readily available firmware and flashing utility are free as well. If it looks like something you want to do then I can provide more details.

Most of the this class of electronics contain firmware developed by Tuya. While Tuya did not intend for users to change their firmware, a utility Tuya Convert was developed that allow it to be done without needing any wires or any need to open the case. Tuya firmware often goes by other names so it is still possible the the Costco plug could be done this way. It requires a RPi to run the Tuya Convert utility.

Comment

The Costco CE Smart Home dimmer Model WF-500D is in the list of compatible Tuya-Convert application.

See here:

tuya-convert

These are sold on Amazon in Canada (pairs) for $64.

Amazon Canada
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
                HS4 Pro - V4.0.9.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
                HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

There a number of YouTube videos that describe how to flash. Typically one uses a 3.3V USB/Serial adapter to establish a connection between the device and the PC. The ESP8266 uses one pin (GPIO0) to know if the processor should enter flash mode. GPIO0 to ground during power-up will put it in flash mode. RX and TX between the board and adapter are crossstrapped so that RX goes to TX and visa versa. The adapter 3.3V and Gnd are also connected to the board. Readily available firmware and flashing utility are free as well. If it looks like something you want to do then I can provide more details.

Most of the this class of electronics contain firmware developed by Tuya. While Tuya did not intend for users to change their firmware, a utility Tuya Convert was developed that allow it to be done without needing any wires or any need to open the case. Tuya firmware often goes by other names so it is still possible the the Costco plug could be done this way. It requires a RPi to run the Tuya Convert utility.
                  Hi,

Please see attached pictures.

Comment

Better picture of pins.

Comment

The GPIO are not conveniently labeled but the module’s pins look to be well exposed to find GPIO 0, 1 and 3. Since PETE determined that the Tuya did the firmware then OTA with Tuya convert would be the easiest way to go. There is also a Tuya plugin if all you want to do with it is to integrate with HS. In this case you would not need to change firmware. If you do want to load Tasmota on it then I can provide more details.

There actually is info on the web about others who have investigated this more. One reference at https://github.com/arendst/Tasmota/issues/4003 took the boards apart. Dont know why they went to this effort. The 2018 thread indicated that Tasmota did not yet support dimmers. I believe they are supported now.

Comment

The GPIO are not conveniently labeled but the module’s pins look to be well exposed to find GPIO 0, 1 and 3. Since PETE determined that the Tuya did the firmware then OTA with Tuya convert would be the easiest way to go. There is also a Tuya plugin if all you want to do with it is to integrate with HS. In this case you would not need to change firmware. If you do want to load Tasmota on it then I can provide more details.
                        Thank you Michael,

I have 4 of these and I would like to control them with HS. That is my main goal. However, I'm interested what else can be done with it.
                        Realistically speaking, I have only purpose for light switches. My LED lights are not dimmable. I will search for Tuya Plugin to get switches up and running asap. Will keep one to play with it. If you are willing to help me to learn how to flash firmware. Let me know.

Comment

sure, look in the Tuya section of http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT.pdf. it describes TuyaConvert 2. The referenced video is well done. you will need a RPi, a SD card and any smartphone.

if you want to try with serial there still needs to be investigation done with multimeter and then tack solder of wires so this is more involved.

if somebody else has done it then they may have documented the GPIO mapping to the buttons, less and relay otherwise it will be a little experimentation. GPIO0 and GPIO2 have special use that could brick the device so they should not be tried until all others exhausted.

Comment

sure, look in the Tuya section of http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT.pdf. it describes TuyaConvert 2. The referenced video is well done. you will need a RPi, a SD card and any smartphone.

if you want to try with serial there still needs to be investigation done with multimeter and then tack solder of wires so this is more involved.

if somebody else has done it then they may have documented the GPIO mapping to the buttons, less and relay otherwise it will be a little experimentation. GPIO0 and GPIO2 have special use that could brick the device so they should not be tried until all others exhausted.
                            Hi Michael,

Well, i have to admit that instructions are clear but it is definitely something that i have never attempted. I have ordered Raspberry and as soon as arrives will try to do it.
                            I have seen that video before, will have to write down all steps and do it.

One question, in my home, i have about 10 HomeSeer switches and now 4 Costco switches. What are the chances of connecting to wrong switch during pairing with switch that i want to flash? Does just proximity to the switch ensure that or i have to disable others.

Best Regards

Tim

Comment

the switch is put in pairing mode. instructions to di this will be in your leaflet that came with switches. typically this is 5 or so short presses until led starts flashing.

Comment

Working...
                              X