Sonoff basic WiFi temperature/humidity network using mcsMQTT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonoff basic WiFi temperature/humidity network using mcsMQTT

New endeavor here relating to the use of an upgraded Sonoff basic Wifi / mcsTasmota and mcsMQTT plugin.

Over the years here have utilized a 1-wire network for sensors integration to Homeseer.

Initally utilized AAG, Midon and Hobby boards sensors connected to Maxim USB/Serial or Temp05 or Temp08 controllers.

Last year or so connected the 1-wire sensors to OWFS / Digitemp running on Raspberry Pi's connected to the LAN here. Configured two of these devices to cover the basement, main floor (and garage), outdoors, second floor and attic.

Changed this over to using Node Red / OWFS / Mosquitto which works fine in the last year.

Now another change here going wireless now with SonOff basic wifi devices connected to multiple temperature and humidity sensors.

Building two of these; one for the attic and one for the basement which will be connected to old 1-wire network.

Hardware list:

- SonOff basic Wifi with mcsTasmota firmware
    - DS18B20 sensors
    - DHT22 sensors
    - 120 VAC outlet

SonOff basic Wifi mods
    - terminals glued and soldered for DS18B20 sensors
    - terminals glued and soldered for DHT22 sensors
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

I'm tinkering with a basic with AM2301 (temp/humidity) and TSL2561 Lux sensor in the garage. Good to see the I2C bus can be extended to 1M with the lux sensor and work reliably. ...Was tossing between Tasmota and ESPEasy but for now its Tasmota. Displaying the data on NodeRed and using the data for events on HS :-)

Pete
    HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Your tinkering had me watch this video this evening.

Sonoff TH16 programming and the I²C bus

and thinking about redoing my lightning sensor moving it from an RPi to something wireless outside.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        New endeavor here relating to the use of an upgraded Sonoff basic Wifi / mcsTasmota and mcsMQTT plugin.
        Thanks for the lead on these Sonoff switches. I didn't realize at first how much can be done with them.
        I see they're used with mcsMATT & have a following over at github.
        I just got a 4ch Pro WiFi + 433MHz and Sonoff RF to start playing with. Wanted to see what RFXCOM could do with the 433MHz also.
        I'd like to use the 4ch on a backyard fence gate lock idea I/ve had brewing for awhile using a Diax MVM motorized lock.
        I've got several DS18B20 I hadn't gotten around to using so will be interested on how you do with them.

Gene

Comment

The Sonoff Basic with the TSL2561 and AM2301 has been deployed. No idea what lux to expect outside but about to find out :-)

Pete
          HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Good news Pete!!

Any pictures?

Here outside have historically utilized the old X10 MR Eagle eye night sensors, then went to utilizing the Optex combo outdoor PIR/camera sensor. None provided LUX.

Over the years tried the Hobby Boards 1-wire combo outdoor temperature, humidity and light sensor. I tried then to use LUX for a UV style sensor.

Wanted a UV number for the lawn watering using ET (mcsSprinklers). Tried the DS18B20 in a glass jar which sort of worked for UV and the ping ball sensor. Only thing was that it had to be mounted high to see the sun horizon to horizon and mounted the Davis weather station up next to the chimney on the second story which was a bad thing to do.

That and over time went to using Davis weather station plus over the air UV numbers.

What kind of lux numbers are you seeing?
            Last edited by Pete; September 28, 2018, 06:41 AM.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

No idea Pete, its 21:27 and I finished installing when it was down to 2Lux outside :-)
              HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Apologies just realized it after 10 there (2200). Fell asleep here at 9 last night and woke up around 3.

I have an analog style world time clock on my desk which I need to put batteries in. In to weather here and always wanted to add a radiation detector and earthquake geophone sensor. Taking this to Mosquitto would be nice.

Well used at one time world clocks software and lately enjoy the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Gnome extensions.

Years ago it was managing pacific rim stuff (dealing with telstra by you at the time) and trying to figure out best conference call times....
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete

We should probably Skype sometime and have a chat :-) Or maybe Alexa voice or something.... :-)
                  HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

That would be nice Pete.

Are you in the Sonoff Google group?

Just starting to tinker with Alexa Voice. I connected it to my VOIP service and it works. I am impressed.

Pete on Skype...

Thinking I saw a live chat option here on the Homeseer forum a while back.

Last edited by Pete; September 29, 2018, 09:41 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                    X