Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8266/Sonoff Flashing Tool Recommendations

Hi Everyone,

I've just order my first Sonoff device, mostly to have fun with. They're so cheap why wouldn't you...

I understand the basic outline to make use of these is:

Buy a Sonoff > Flash Tasmoda firmware to the device > Setup a MQTT broker > Point the Sonoff at the MQTT broker > Configure HS3 MQTT plugin > Control Sonoff from HS3.

At this stage I need to purchase a USB to serial(?) device that will allow me to perform the flashing operation. Can anyone recommend one they've purchased that didn't turn out to be junk? Searching '8266 Flasher' on eBay returns a sea of garbage unfortunately :S

Here's the tricky part: The Australian government despises it's own people, and has enacted a new tax law that has effectively cut us off from purchasing from a lot of international online sellers, including Amazon US. We can buy from Amazon AU but at the moment it's an overpriced joke devoid of most products.

Product links to gearbest/ebay etc are helpful, while I can purchase from Amazon US through a mail forwarder, the cost of the mail forwarding often makes it not worth the price.

Thanks for your help.

post #20 of thread https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ir...-control/page2 contains some links. I have about 4 different ones and they all work fine. When I first started it did not go smoothly, but persistence was all that was needed.

Note also that likely you do not need to flash with USB, but can flash Over The Air (OTA) with SonOTA.exe. Works for all but 1.6 versions of the Sonoff firmware. They broke OTA in this version. If you are in it to play, but getting the USB adapter is a good idea.

Comment

How hard is it to flash a 4ch pro to use for a garage door opener?

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
      post #20 of thread https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ir...-control/page2 contains some links. I have about 4 different ones and they all work fine. When I first started it did not go smoothly, but persistence was all that was needed.

Note also that likely you do not need to flash with USB, but can flash Over The Air (OTA) with SonOTA.exe. Works for all but 1.6 versions of the Sonoff firmware. They broke OTA in this version. If you are in it to play, but getting the USB adapter is a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here is a quickie write up...

Flashing...

GPIO0 is not connected to anything on the 4CH Pro, the R2 has a pad broken out. To flash, connect GPIO0 to gnd when powering on. (need verification here on the 4ch pro. On my R2 it was on power, but have seen rumors of 3s delay)

Lately been flashing using esptool command line. IE:

1 - flashing a new bin to a sonoff device

esptool.py --port /dev/ttyUSB0 write_flash -fs 1MB -fm dout 0x0 whatever.bin

2 - blanking flash using esptool.

esptool.py --port /dev/ttyUSB0 -b 115200 write_flash 0x000000 blank_1MB.bin 0x100000 blank_1MB.bin 0x200000 blank_1MB.bin 0x300000 blank_1MB.bin

Click image for larger version  Name:	sonoff-4ch-pro-r2-flash1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	107.3 KB ID:	1268255

Here purchased one of those multicolored arduino pin kits (in a little plastic fishing tackle box) and soldered header pins for firmware updating.

Click image for larger version  Name:	kit.jpg Views:	1 Size:	265.5 KB ID:	1268261
        To solder the headers here glue the header to the board using a tiny bit of glue and a toothpick. I let it dry a few minutes then solder the pins to the board using a soldering iron with a tiny tip on it and one of those little flux pens and one of those soldering board helper hands thing.

Here too Amazon Prime is starting to get expensive. Primarily use it here cuz of the 2 day shipping. It is twice as much as the alternatives Ebay, Gearbest et al.

xxx
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel CPU - Mono 6.00
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          Here is a quickie write up...

Flashing...

GPIO0 is not connected to anything on the 4CH Pro, the R2 has a pad broken out. To flash, connect GPIO0 to gnd when powering on. (need verification here on the 4ch pro. On my R2 it was on power, but have seen rumors of 3s delay)

Lately been flashing using esptool command line. IE:

1 - flashing a new bin to a sonoff device

esptool.py --port /dev/ttyUSB0 write_flash -fs 1MB -fm dout 0x0 whatever.bin

2 - blanking flash using esptool.

esptool.py --port /dev/ttyUSB0 -b 115200 write_flash 0x000000 blank_1MB.bin 0x100000 blank_1MB.bin 0x200000 blank_1MB.bin 0x300000 blank_1MB.bin

Click image for larger version  Name:	sonoff-4ch-pro-r2-flash1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	107.3 KB ID:	1268255

Here purchased one of those multicolored arduino pin kits (in a little plastic fishing tackle box) and soldered header pins for firmware updating.

Click image for larger version  Name:	kit.jpg Views:	1 Size:	265.5 KB ID:	1268261
          To solder the headers here glue the header to the board using a tiny bit of glue and a toothpick. I let it dry a few minutes then solder the pins to the board using a soldering iron with a tiny tip on it and one of those little flux pens and one of those soldering board helper hands thing.

Here too Amazon Prime is starting to get expensive. Primarily use it here cuz of the 2 day shipping. It is twice as much as the alternatives Ebay, Gearbest et al.

xxx
          Thanks!!

Comment

It can be done totally without opening the case using SonOTA.exe as long as the Sonoff firmware is not 1.6. There was a window of time earlier this year where they were shipping with it. https://github.com/mirko/SonOTA The typical issue when doing it this way is that all your firewalls need to be temporarily disabled otherwise the final stage cannot be completed and then I think you need to flash after opening the case.

To flash with cable one needs a 3.3V level USB to Serial adapter. They sell for around $10 many places.

I do my work on Windows and find it easier to use ESPEasy_Flasher.exe which comes in the \dist folder of the ESPEasy-mega download at https://github.com/letscontrolit/ESPEasy/releases. Just unzip the download anywhere and navigate to the \dist folder. Put the .bin file you want to put into the ESP8266 into the \data\bin folder. Run the .exe. Browse to select the desired bin file.

On the Sonoff 4CH Pro the flashing is more difficult than other devices because the GPIO 0 pin is not brought out to a header pin. A little better on Pro R2 where at least it is brought t a pad. This point needs to connected temporarily to a ground pin when the power is applied to the Sonoff.

I do not think the 4CH is a very good device for garage door control because of the lack of inputs that it has available to know the position of the door. If all one is trying to do is use the relay in the 4CH to control the garage door pushbutton then there are easier solutions. When one wants to has the logic in the microcontrollrer then the HS-level command is Open or Close and the microcontroller will know if the button/relay needs to be pulsed or not based upon the existing door position. If you do not have this then it is too easy for the door position to be out of sync with the position remembered by HS. One could add a separate interface to the door such as a reed switch, light or distance beam but then you have two devices plus HS which is much complexity/failure modes for such a simple, but potentially dangerous device. Take a look in the mcsMQTT manual http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT.pdf for how I did it with Sonoff basic. Any device with at least one input and one output could do the same thing. I have 2 door position sensors on my opener so I used both. It could be one with only one and assume that if the door is not closed then it is open.

Comment

It can be done totally without opening the case using SonOTA.exe as long as the Sonoff firmware is not 1.6. There was a window of time earlier this year where they were shipping with it. https://github.com/mirko/SonOTA The typical issue when doing it this way is that all your firewalls need to be temporarily disabled otherwise the final stage cannot be completed and then I think you need to flash after opening the case.

To flash with cable one needs a 3.3V level USB to Serial adapter. They sell for around $10 many places.

I do my work on Windows and find it easier to use ESPEasy_Flasher.exe which comes in the \dist folder of the ESPEasy-mega download at https://github.com/letscontrolit/ESPEasy/releases. Just unzip the download anywhere and navigate to the \dist folder. Put the .bin file you want to put into the ESP8266 into the \data\bin folder. Run the .exe. Browse to select the desired bin file.

On the Sonoff 4CH Pro the flashing is more difficult than other devices because the GPIO 0 pin is not brought out to a header pin. A little better on Pro R2 where at least it is brought t a pad. This point needs to connected temporarily to a ground pin when the power is applied to the Sonoff.

I do not think the 4CH is a very good device for garage door control because of the lack of inputs that it has available to know the position of the door. If all one is trying to do is use the relay in the 4CH to control the garage door pushbutton then there are easier solutions. When one wants to has the logic in the microcontrollrer then the HS-level command is Open or Close and the microcontroller will know if the button/relay needs to be pulsed or not based upon the existing door position. If you do not have this then it is too easy for the door position to be out of sync with the position remembered by HS. One could add a separate interface to the door such as a reed switch, light or distance beam but then you have two devices plus HS which is much complexity/failure modes for such a simple, but potentially dangerous device. Take a look in the mcsMQTT manual http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT.pdf for how I did it with Sonoff basic. Any device with at least one input and one output could do the same thing. I have 2 door position sensors on my opener so I used both. It could be one with only one and assume that if the door is not closed then it is open.
              I’m just trying to find a use case to play with one of these.

Comment

The Sonoff basic is a better toy for the learning experience. There is much more published and more You Tube videos on using it.

Comment

The Sonoff basic is a better toy for the learning experience. There is much more published and more You Tube videos on using it.
                  Thanks. I’ll order one of those then.

Comment

Here running Michael's mcsTasmota SonOff WiFi basic as a multiple function GDO plus added a temperature sensor. It is running great. Months now.

I am turning a couple of other SonOff WiFi basics in to mini 1-Wire hubs using DS18B20 temperature sensors. (5 sensors on each of the devices).

- Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel CPU - Mono 6.00
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Working...
                    X