No announcement yet.

Replace xAP with MQTT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you have run into one of the obsolescence limitations. As the hardware and OS's have evolved the 1-wire ecosystem has not kept up.

Comment

Yes, I’m sure you are right. I think I just spent a lot of time relearning why I setup my 1Wire/xAP network on my Netbook running Windows XP several years ago.

So now, back to my original question of this thread; is there a way to utilize MQTT to communicate with my 1-wire devices?

The maxim 1-wire device drivers are fully functional in the Windows 10 environment. I have tested the Maxim 1 wire reader and it works on all of my Windows 10 computers. Maybe a bridge utility between MQTT and 1-wire? I’m not a programmer, but I can handle basic vbnet scripting and some JSON stuff. I would be happy to pull 1-wire data from a file or other source.
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Michael, I am running xapmcsHub on my computers. Could it be modified to convert the messages to MQTT format?
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

It likely could be done as my VB6 version does the xap/xpl bridging. What I do not see is a use-case. Currently HS3 does the bridge function with mcsXap and mcsMQTT as the conduits.

I suspect J+ (.NET) or MSJVM (VB6) are the obsolete components between mcsXap1Wire and the 1-wire devices. 32 bit-only for these. I also had a similar problem in the past when going from 16 to 32 bit. Thinks worked for awhile during the transition, but eventually support was lost for 16 bit.

My roadmap is moving away from Windows. I expect to move to ESP8266 or ESP32 as the host for 1-wire. Out of the box only temp sensors are supported to my knowledge with the Arduino libraries. I could be wrong. I think we had a discussion like this about 1/2 year ago where a HS user had gone further and did some java or other implementation of a larger suite on a RPi. If you search in the forums you may be able to find this discussion. If Pete chimes in then it may be easier for him to find it and describe pro/con.

Comment

Intial test a couple years back was to just create an OWFS server on an RPi using DS9097U. Worked great. Noticed that this methodology was being used for the Vera (OpenWRT base) automation program OWFS plugin. Here provided log entries and tried to change the OWFS output to work with Randy's OWFS plugin. Never did get it to work. Also tested using the DigiTemp and a HS3 custom script to read temperature and humidity readings. It worked fine with the script but you had to put each device in separately.

You can now run OWFS on a tiny OpenWRT router and a Python script to output everthing to MQTT (mqtt-owfs-temp)

The RPi / NodeRed / OWFS / MQTT works fine using DS9097U serial (to USB). Here only tested combo temperature / humidity sensors, dual counters (lightning sensor), temperature sensors. Have a 1-wire barometer but did not test this. There is a list on the OWFS site relating to devices.

Quick and dirty way would be writing a plugin or a linux program (c maybe) that communicates using the DS909U to MQTT (serial to MQTT) only.

and then replicate this program to using an ESP8266 with a DS9097U (use the RX,TX,Ground to SonOff) connection and keeping it under 500k.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1-wirebusmaster.jpg Views:	1 Size:	18.5 KB ID:	1261912

Ideally though an ESP8266 + 1-wire bus master ==> 1-wire devices would be a nice solution.

There are a RPi and Arduino Yun bus master projects but do not see any ESP8266 looking for a few minutes.

I have tested OWFS / python Mosquitto on my OpenWRT micro router with built in wireless and to NIC ports (for under $20) plus added a RTC with battery to the device and it works fine with a tiny CPU and very little RAM. (test board had GPIO pins, VCC, Ground stuff just to tinker with).

This device would work as a wired or wireless 5VDC POE powered device which is smaller than the SonOff WiFi basic but more money.
            Last edited by Pete; November 25, 2018, 04:24 PM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Michael, HS3 is primarily a Windows system and we need a reasonably high powered system to run our home automation systems. If possible, I try to run any add on programs such as MQTT, mosquito, etc and my security cameras on Windows systems. I will continue in this direction as long as possible.

The Maxim 1-wire sensors are extremely robust low cost sensors and I think they will be around for a long time. And Maxim has continued to provide Windows device drivers.

My use case is quite basic: Without A windowsXP platform, I cannot run Xapmcs1wire and will not be able to communicate with my 1-wire devices. I’m sure I could find a virtual solution for XP but I really don’t want to revert to 32bit Windows machines for HS3.

I think a bridge program would be a longer term solution.

Comment

Pete, thanks for the info. This sounds encouraging. I will research this more.

Comment

xapmcs1wire depends upon obsolete (32 bit only) middleware. Without this application operational then it does not matter what functionality exists in xAP hub. The next time I write software for 1-wire I will write directly to the 1-wire device and not depend upon the middleware. It will be done in C, targeted to a microcontroller, and use MQTT to interface with things such as a Windows platform. In this IOT world it makes more sense for hardware-level management to be done with dedicated controllers and not be constrained by limits imposed by OS's designed for business applications. 1-wire functionality should be a black box. Look to Embedded Data Systems that provides devices such as OWServer that hides the 1-wire protocol and uses a higher level communication with the user of the 1-wire information.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                    xapmcs1wire depends upon obsolete (32 bit only) middleware. Without this application operational then it does not matter what functionality exists in xAP hub. The next time I write software for 1-wire I will write directly to the 1-wire device and not depend upon the middleware. It will be done in C, targeted to a microcontroller, and use MQTT to interface with things such as a Windows platform. In this IOT world it makes more sense for hardware-level management to be done with dedicated controllers and not be constrained by limits imposed by OS's designed for business applications. 1-wire functionality should be a black box. Look to Embedded Data Systems that provides devices such as OWServer that hides the 1-wire protocol and uses a higher level communication with the user of the 1-wire information.
                    Michael, thanks. This sounds great. I hope you can work on this. Your software is excellent and your support for it is outstanding.

I will further explore OWServer and similar devices. I am already using (for 3 years) the Midon 1WireSwitch to control a bank of LEDs switched via 1-wire DS2405 switches. But it’s capabilities are limited to a few types 1-wire devices and it is a wired solution. The wireless MQTT approach is much more flexible.

Comment

Anything new on this issue? The Netbook computer that I have running my 1-wire setup (Windows XP) is near death. I need to do something soon to keep my 1-wire setup viable. I really do not want to tear out and replace my CAT5 wired temperature and voltage 1-wire sensors. Is there anything new available re using MQTT?

Comment

I have not yet done anything with 1-wire and ESP8266 other than the standard library for DS18B20. I have the original HST PRO100 running 1-wire with embedded XP.. Various other old applications there as well. I did update my database application to collect either xAP or MQTT data so the transition would be seamless, but have not gone the next step yet.

Comment

Steve Q If don't mind a few bucks and avoid stress and that you have already have MQTT then go here : https://www.unipi.technology/products/1-wire-network-46 and how to here : https://www.unipi.technology/news/no...ontrollers-234

Eman.
                          TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Just a quick scan and I see only temp sensors being interfaced. This is the same as with ESP8266/Tasmota. There are many other 1-wire devices for things like counters, switches, relays, various analog. This variety to achieve backward compatibility is the hurdle to be overcome.

Comment

Hello Steve

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post

Anything new on this issue? The Netbook computer that I have running my 1-wire setup (Windows XP) is near death. I need to do something soon to keep my 1-wire setup viable. I really do not want to tear out and replace my CAT5 wired temperature and voltage 1-wire sensors. Is there anything new available re using MQTT?
                              My 1-Wire network run on Win10 with Xapmcs1wire and HSPI_MCSXAP

driver for Win10 : https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/p...ad_drivers.cfm

Jean-Francois

Comment

I have not yet done anything with 1-wire and ESP8266 other than the standard library for DS18B20. I have the original HST PRO100 running 1-wire with embedded XP.. Various other old applications there as well. I did update my database application to collect either xAP or MQTT data so the transition would be seamless, but have not gone the next step yet.
                                Good to know that you have updated your database. Right now, I’m not using it but I did use it for several years. It is reliable and easy to use.

I am working on connecting a DS18s20 to a Sonoff Basic. I am getting MQTT sensor messages (temperature) from the Sonoff via MQTT Tool, but I have not been able to get them into HS3 via mcsMQTT.

I am also replacing my xAP 4 channel relay board with a Sonoff 4 Channel Relay. Channel A which controls my water heater is up and running on the Sonoff4 Channel being controlled by HS3 via mcsXAP This was a very easy substitution. Just had to move 2 wires.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DC9542A6-FE86-4A9B-A45A-0F5E1C9C51D5.jpeg
Views:	267
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1311609Click image for larger version

Name:	3ED856A5-6BEB-48DF-8C46-EC490B09C79B.jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1311610

Comment

Working...
                                X