This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zigbee Interface/non-Cloud Hub Available for $10

I have received a set of USB dongles and flashed firmware that serves as a generic local (no cloud) Zigbee interface. The Zigbee2MQTT application that runs on Linux or Windows works with this dongle to put the Zigbee communication on the LAN using MQTT protocol. mcsMQTT (and others) use MQTT to interact with HS3. This is a lower cost, but similar, alternative to Rasbee/Conbee + deCONZ + JowiHue.

The Wiki for this is at https://github.com/Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt/wiki. The "getting started" step of obtaining the USB dongle and flashing it is what I have done and will send them to anyone who wants one for $10. Just let me know via email mcsSolutions at CenturyTel dot net. I also 3-D printed little cases so they have an appearance of something similar to a thumb drive. The photo shows the dongle in and out of the case.

I am new to Zigbee but do like what I have experienced. It's low power, good range and self-healing network make it excellent for battery-based applications such as sensors. Xiaomi makes an excellent set of small attractive and low cost sensors.

Zigbee2MQTT is a community supported effort of the same ilk as Tasmota. There is a long list in the Wiki of known supported devices. It is clear that the intention is to grow the list as users find more Zigbee-compliant devices that enter the market.

Hi - have you had chance to look at the cost of shipping to the UK?

Comment

USA total cost is $10. International total cost is $20.

Comment

Sorry for the duh question. Where do we find the zigbee2mqtt application? Is this used with mcsMQTT? thanks

Comment

Look at the wiki link in the first post. It is the "Running the bridge" link on the wiki page. zigbee2mqtt runs somewhere on the network. In my case it is running on the same RPi as Mosquitto. I thought there was a Windows install for zigbee2mqtt, but I could not find it.

Comment

Great news Michael!!!

- Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
              I thought there was a Windows install for zigbee2mqtt, but I could not find it.
              Ah - that could be an issue :-(

Comment

Thanks. I got my stick today and am up and running. The xiaomi sensors set up right away and have decent range.

Comment

Great. Was the packaging adequate so that the case remained intact upon delivery?

I started a zigbee2mqtt thread for the Lowes Iris Motion Sensor 3326-L which was not in the list of supported devices. Another user chimed in and worked with the developer to get it working. It should be released soon. I also started one for RGBgenie remote. Some progress. Now have 4 of the 10 buttons recognized and still working it. It is an odd-ball device that works as a secondary with ability to pair with other devices which I suspect means that a button press will directly control the other device rather than routing through the hub.

I also asked the question about Windows support and the response was that it does run on Windows. I implied that it should be in the Wiki because most will not be able to translate Linux setup into a Windows setup. We will see where that goes. I may also give it a try.

Comment

I also asked the question about Windows support and the response was that it does run on Windows. I implied that it should be in the Wiki because most will not be able to translate Linux setup into a Windows setup. We will see where that goes. I may also give it a try.
                    I'd like to buy one of these dongles from you. How do I proceed? Elliott

"Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
                    "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Great. Was the packaging adequate so that the case remained intact upon delivery?

I started a zigbee2mqtt thread for the Lowes Iris Motion Sensor 3326-L which was not in the list of supported devices. Another user chimed in and worked with the developer to get it working. It should be released soon. I also started one for RGBgenie remote. Some progress. Now have 4 of the 10 buttons recognized and still working it. It is an odd-ball device that works as a secondary with ability to pair with other devices which I suspect means that a button press will directly control the other device rather than routing through the hub.

Windows but be helpful, I have HS on a windoze machine abd would prefer to keep it all in one place.

Comment

I have received a set of USB dongles and flashed firmware that serves as a generic local (no cloud) Zigbee interface. The Zigbee2MQTT application that runs on Linux or Windows works with this dongle to put the Zigbee communication on the LAN using MQTT protocol. mcsMQTT (and others) use MQTT to interact with HS3. This is a lower cost, but similar, alternative to Rasbee/Conbee + deCONZ + JowiHue.

The Wiki for this is at https://github.com/Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt/wiki. The "getting started" step of obtaining the USB dongle and flashing it is what I have done and will send them to anyone who wants one for $10. Just let me know via email mcsSolutions at CenturyTel dot net. I also 3-D printed little cases so they have an appearance of something similar to a thumb drive. The photo shows the dongle in and out of the case.

I am new to Zigbee but do like what I have experienced. It's low power, good range and self-healing network make it excellent for battery-based applications such as sensors. Xiaomi makes an excellent set of small attractive and low cost sensors.

Zigbee2MQTT is a community supported effort of the same ilk as Tasmota. There is a long list in the Wiki of known supported devices. It is clear that the intention is to grow the list as users find more Zigbee-compliant devices that enter the market.
                        Email and Payment Sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd like to buy one of these dongles from you. How do I proceed? Elliott
                          just email your shipping address to mcsSolutions at CenturyTel dot net. When you get it then you can Paypal $10 USA or $20 outside USA.

Comment

email sent
                            Thank you Michael
                            I hope to use this with SONOFF devices that have been modified to use MQTT
                            I sent a payment via paypal

Comment

just email your shipping address to mcsSolutions at CenturyTel dot net. When you get it then you can Paypal $10 USA or $20 outside USA.
                              Thanks. Email sent with address as well as payment via Paypal.
                              "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
                              "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Working...
                              X