Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Michael I received the USB dongle and it is working with a MQTT broker (Linux ubuntu) and mcsMQTT get data from my zigbee bulbs. It is also working with my SONOFF devices via MQTT

Comment

Seems like it was a pretty painless install for you. Did you have any issues or lessons about the install that would be beneficial to other users?

Comment

AutomatedJim,

Last one was packed up yesterday. I will be getting more likely late this month. Tracking shows that they made it to the airplane in China yesterday. Provide your shipping address to mcsSolutions at CenturyTel dot net and I can send you one when I receive them.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
          AutomatedJim,

Last one was packed up yesterday. I will be getting more likely late this month. Tracking shows that they made it to the airplane in China yesterday. Provide your shipping address to mcsSolutions at CenturyTel dot net and I can send you one when I receive them.
          Email sent. Forgot to mention in the email, let me know when it ships and I'll send payment via PayPal.

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

Hi, Michael. Thanks for doing this! I just sent you an email and payment.
            Dave

Comment

Do you know any more on the Windows install? Otherwise I'll have to play with a Pi.

Comment

Originally posted by IanIreland View Post
                Do you know any more on the Windows install? Otherwise I'll have to play with a Pi.
                See his post on the topic "Zigbee2MQTT on Windows" (December 6, 2018).
                "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
                "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Originally posted by Richel View Post

See his post on the topic "Zigbee2MQTT on Windows" (December 6, 2018).
                  Have you a link?

Comment

Originally posted by IanIreland View Post

Have you a link?
                    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...qtt-on-windows
                    "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
                    "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

I received my second batch of USB dongles today which is earlier than expected. I currently have two that missed the first delivery (Joe and Dave) that I will package and send out tomorrow. Likley will be a Christmas present for yourselves. Let me know if others are interested.

Comment

Great news, thanks Michael!
                          Dave

Comment

Received the USB dongle yesterday. Thank you Michael!

I was able to get Mosquitto up and running on a RPI3 (Jessie) and talking to mcsMQTT

Followed the instructions at https://koenkk.github.io/zigbee2mqtt...gbee2mqtt.html. Now stuck looking at the status.

When I run this command: systemctl status zigbee2mqtt.service I only return this:

"zigbee2mqtt.service - zigbee2mqtt
                            Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/zigbee2mqtt.service; enabled)
                            Active: active (running) since Sun 2018-12-23 10:59:13 CST; 2min 27s ago
                            Main PID: 751 (npm)
                            CGroup: /system.slice/zigbee2mqtt.service
                            ├─751 npm
                            ├─788 sh -c node index.js
                            └─789 node index.js"

I never see the lines about zigbee-shephard.

If I run this command: sudo journalctl -u zigbee2mqtt.service -f I get this in the logs:

"Dec 23 10:59:20 RPi3-MQTTBRKR npm[751]: zigbee2mqtt:info 12/23/2018, 10:59:20 AM Starting zigbee2mqtt version 1.0.1 (commit #84593a5)
                            Dec 23 10:59:20 RPi3-MQTTBRKR npm[751]: zigbee2mqtt:info 12/23/2018, 10:59:20 AM Starting zigbee-shepherd
                            Dec 23 10:59:20 RPi3-MQTTBRKR npm[751]: zigbee2mqtt:info 12/23/2018, 10:59:20 AM Error while starting zigbee-shepherd, attemping to fix... (takes 60 seconds)
                            Dec 23 11:00:27 RPi3-MQTTBRKR npm[751]: zigbee2mqtt:info 12/23/2018, 11:00:27 AM Starting zigbee-shepherd
                            Dec 23 11:00:27 RPi3-MQTTBRKR npm[751]: zigbee2mqtt:error 12/23/2018, 11:00:27 AM Error while starting zigbee-shepherd!
                            Dec 23 11:00:27 RPi3-MQTTBRKR npm[751]: zigbee2mqtt:error 12/23/2018, 11:00:27 AM Press the reset button on the stick (the one closest to the USB) and start again
                            Dec 23 11:00:27 RPi3-MQTTBRKR npm[751]: zigbee2mqtt:error 12/23/2018, 11:00:27 AM Failed to start
                            Dec 23 11:00:27 RPi3-MQTTBRKR npm[751]: {"message":"Error: Permission denied, cannot open /dev/ttyACM0","stack":"Error: Error: Permission denied, cannot open /dev/ttyACM0"}"

I have tried changing permissions on /dev/ttyACM0 to 0777, doesn't help. Also after a reboot permissions change back to 0660.

I do notice when the RPi is rebooted the USB dongle goes green but after awhile the goes dark. If i remove the dongle and plug it back in, same results.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

I typically get " Error while starting zigbee-shepherd, attemping to fix... (takes 60 seconds)" each time I change the USB Dongle as I test the ones I burn. The next npm start with that dongle does not have it.

Your problem, however, looks to be related to Linux permissions. I am just a follower and not a leader in the Linux environment. I run my RPi with login as the root user as in the past I have always had difficulty with being blocked by permission issues. A brute-force solution, but I am not concerned with security for these isolated devices.

I suggest posting on the github zigbee2mqtt forum as that community has more experience with this product. There may even be discussion in the issue log already about what you are seeing.

Comment

Pretty sure another person had trouble running this on Jessie. I saw it in the issues. The github recommends Stretch.

For the sake of simplicity this guide assumes running on a Raspberry Pi 3 with Raspbian Stretch Lite

Originally posted by AutomatedJim View Post
                                Received the USB dongle yesterday. Thank you Michael!

I was able to get Mosquitto up and running on a RPI3 (Jessie) and talking to mcsMQTT

Followed the instructions at https://koenkk.github.io/zigbee2mqtt...gbee2mqtt.html. Now stuck looking at the status.

When I run this command: systemctl status zigbee2mqtt.service I only return this:

"zigbee2mqtt.service - zigbee2mqtt
                                Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/zigbee2mqtt.service; enabled)
                                Active: active (running) since Sun 2018-12-23 10:59:13 CST; 2min 27s ago
                                Main PID: 751 (npm)
                                CGroup: /system.slice/zigbee2mqtt.service
                                ├─751 npm
                                ├─788 sh -c node index.js
                                └─789 node index.js"

I never see the lines about zigbee-shephard.

If I run this command: sudo journalctl -u zigbee2mqtt.service -f I get this in the logs:

"Dec 23 10:59:20 RPi3-MQTTBRKR npm[751]: zigbee2mqtt:info 12/23/2018, 10:59:20 AM Starting zigbee2mqtt version 1.0.1 (commit #84593a5)
                                Dec 23 10:59:20 RPi3-MQTTBRKR npm[751]: zigbee2mqtt:info 12/23/2018, 10:59:20 AM Starting zigbee-shepherd
                                Dec 23 10:59:20 RPi3-MQTTBRKR npm[751]: zigbee2mqtt:info 12/23/2018, 10:59:20 AM Error while starting zigbee-shepherd, attemping to fix... (takes 60 seconds)
                                Dec 23 11:00:27 RPi3-MQTTBRKR npm[751]: zigbee2mqtt:info 12/23/2018, 11:00:27 AM Starting zigbee-shepherd
                                Dec 23 11:00:27 RPi3-MQTTBRKR npm[751]: zigbee2mqtt:error 12/23/2018, 11:00:27 AM Error while starting zigbee-shepherd!
                                Dec 23 11:00:27 RPi3-MQTTBRKR npm[751]: zigbee2mqtt:error 12/23/2018, 11:00:27 AM Press the reset button on the stick (the one closest to the USB) and start again
                                Dec 23 11:00:27 RPi3-MQTTBRKR npm[751]: zigbee2mqtt:error 12/23/2018, 11:00:27 AM Failed to start
                                Dec 23 11:00:27 RPi3-MQTTBRKR npm[751]: {"message":"Error: Permission denied, cannot open /dev/ttyACM0","stack":"Error: Error: Permission denied, cannot open /dev/ttyACM0"}"

I have tried changing permissions on /dev/ttyACM0 to 0777, doesn't help. Also after a reboot permissions change back to 0660.

I do notice when the RPi is rebooted the USB dongle goes green but after awhile the goes dark. If i remove the dongle and plug it back in, same results.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X