Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jessie on an Odroid C1 is what I run. I had initially installed on Stretch on RPi. In both cases I was the root user.

Comment

Jessie on an Odroid C1 is what I run. I had initially installed on Stretch on RPi. In both cases I was the root user.

Comment

Rebuilt the RPi3 with Stretch and now it is working fine. Next the sensors.

Comment

What Zigbee channel does this Hub operate on? Is the channel setting configurable?

Comment

The interface (CC2531 - Zigbee 3.X) is basically a Zigbee sniffer and sees everything. If the device is not in the driver configuration library you manually add it.

The library is being expanded every day from what I can tell.

Just about every Xiaomi device (very reasonably priced) is in the library of devices.

Here so far only have tested Securifi Zigbee devices and while it sees all of them I have not yet defined them (appliance, lamp modules, water sensors, PIRs, door sensors).

Here went from using an RPi2 running Stretch to using an old Shuttle Nettop Atom Intel based computer running Ubuntu 18.04 64bit and Docker these days. Docker is doing Node Red, HA, Mosquitto Broker and now three XXX to MQTT bridges.

Still very much in a learning mode here relating to reading the zigbee2mqtt logs and docker in general.

docker will do dynamic updates from the github stuff which I like.

Homeseer3 mcsMQTT sees it all (as does Home Assistant).

The CC2531 sees the appliance and lamp modules as generic Zigbee routers.

See here:

Zigbee2mqtt
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

@Pete: Thanks. I too am in learning mode. I tried playing with Docker to communicate with SmartThings but quickly realized I was in over my head and time budget.

I would assume the CC2531 is more than just a sniffer but is also acting as the coordinator for the network? As such it would be responsible for determining what channel the network is assigned to and handle any interference issues from nearby Zigbee networks. I'm currently running 4 Zigbee networks in my house, each independent of the other on their own channels to avoid conflicts and collisions. I've skimmed through the posts here and didn't really see any discussion about network management and how it was handled by the CC2531 radio.

Another concern I have is with grouping. Zigbee lights are ok to be used individually, but if you are addressing more than 1 with commands then they are really meant to be addressed as a group. That way if you are looking to turn on/off 10 bulbs or to change their color you are not flooding the network with commands to 10 individual nodes. This also gives you a synced and fluid dimming of the light group. The coordinator handles the group assignments and commands. At least this is my simple understanding of how the process works.

I've seen several posts around the forums, like on HS3 Zigbee and JowiHue, pointing folks to this forum as another Zigbee solution for HS3 at a substantially lower cost. I know it can't be all rainbows and unicorns so I guess I'm curious as to what exactly this solution offers beyond a cheap price point and what one would be giving up (outside of convenience) vs. a more traditional Hue, Conbee or SmartThings gateway acting as a true coordinator.

My initial impression is this solution might be best suited for communicating with Zigbee endpoints such as sensors with a few individual lamps thrown in the mix to act as routers. I'm sure there is more to it than that, so I'm here to learn.

--Barry

Comment

would assume the CC2531 is more than just a sniffer but is also acting as the coordinator for the network?

It is and I over simplied using the term sniffer.

The drawing above with the two arrows shows how the device has a two way conversation with a Zigbee device serving as a combo router and device and end devices with single arrows. The drawing is also a bit oversimplied.

A copy and paste here.

Device types

In Zigbee, there are three different types of devices: end device, router, and coordinator. A Zigbee network always has one (and no more) coordinator, and can have multiple routers and end devices. In the case of zigbee2mqtt, the coordinator is your CC2531 USB stick.
                End Device

End devices do not route traffic. They may also sleep, which makes end devices a suitable choice for battery operated devices.

Examples: WXKG01LM, RTCGQ01LM, MCCGQ11LM
                Router

Routers are responsible for routing traffic between different nodes. Routers may not sleep. As such, routers are not a suitable choice for battery operated devices. Routers are also responsible for receiving and storing messages intended for their children. In addition to this, routers are the gate keepers to the network. They are responsible for allowing new nodes to join the network.

Examples: LED1545G12, 7146060PH, ZNCZ02LM, CC2531 USB sniffer flashed with the router firmware
                Coordinator

A coordinator is a special router. In addition to all of the router capabilities, the coordinator is responsible for forming the network. To do that, it must select the appropriate channel, PAN ID, and extended network address. It is also responsible for selecting the security mode of the network.

Another concern I have is with grouping.

This is a major topic with using RGB and Zigbee. MQTT handles it differently. Lots of discussions about this on the Home Assistant and OpenHab forums.

Here the approach to RGB now is via WiFi and 12VDC firmware updated devices which utilize MQTT. (Mix and match automation here with X10, ZWave, Zigbee and now MQTT).

I was going to the Conbee mode and adding the interface to the ZNet like RPi2 I have in the attic such that the RPi2 did both ZWave and Zigbee.

Relating to the Samsung Hub Smartthings device here using one for a while and mostly recently have added an MQTT interface to the Samsung Smarthings. Recently noticed using IDE /Smartthings that now too you can dynamically update using a github connection in the Samsung Smartthing web configuration.

My initial impression is this solution might be best suited for communicating with Zigbee endpoints such as sensors with a few individual lamps thrown in the mix to act as routers. I'm sure there is more to it than that, so I'm here to learn.

I installed my CC2531 in the basement of the two story home. Adding initially lamp / appliance modules on main and second floor in a willy nilly fashion they are all coming up as routers automagically.

Relating to Docker it's just been understanding the command line nomenclature for me. Each docker instance is like a mini VM with it's own OS running. It even has it's own transport and IP bridged to the main OS. It is the updating though that I like and is really just a command line (using github) update and deletion of the older version docker container.

IE:

See all docker containers:

Shuttle:~$ docker container ps -a
                CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES
                fb10e78fb29e homeassistant/home-assistant "python -m homeassis…" 2 weeks ago Up 3 days home-assistant
                3d743f54657c omnilink-bridge "mono OmniLinkBridge…" 2 weeks ago Up 7 days omnilink-bridge
                1cd4e85d33ec keatontaylor/amd64-addon-alexa-api "/run.sh" 2 weeks ago Exited (137) 2 weeks ago alexa-api
                e02b8782757c f177651ee03a "./run.sh" 3 weeks ago Exited (137) 3 weeks ago zigbee2mqtt
                82b1c17222cc nodered/node-red-docker:v8 "npm start -- --user…" 2 months ago Up 2 weeks 0.0.0.0:1880->1880/tcp mynodered

See running docker containers:

Shuttle:~$ docker container ps
                CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES
                fb10e78fb29e homeassistant/home-assistant "python -m homeassis…" 2 weeks ago Up 3 days home-assistant
                3d743f54657c omnilink-bridge "mono OmniLinkBridge…" 2 weeks ago Up 7 days omnilink-bridge
                82b1c17222cc nodered/node-red-docker:v8 "npm start -- --user…" 2 months ago Up 2 weeks 0.0.0.0:1880->1880/tcp mynodered

I have been manually starting and stopping the zigbee2mqtt docker container watching the logs. Note that mono is self contained in one of the containers above.

- Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

From zigbee2mqtt forum...

If you look at the wiki page: https://github.com/Koenkk/zigbee2mqt.../Configuration
                  There is the Option for data/configuration.yaml at
                  advanced: # Optional: ZigBee channel channel: 11

Group support has been implemented, feedback or questions about group support can be asked here: #764

There are configurations where the router function is done typically by CC2530 and coordinator by CC2531. The CC2531 that does it all is the simplest for those who are starting to dabble with Zigbee.

Comment

Hi all, beg with me please, I am just starting playing around this ...

I received my coordinator and got it up and running on a Pi running Raspbian.

Now I am trying to pair/install my first zigbee device, a Stelpro Thermostat, at first, when I was trying to pair the device was 'undefined' in the zigbetomqtt log. After some advice from the zigbeetomqtt developer I had to edit the database.db to add the parameter "modelId"="ST218". It was not sent in the header of the pairing packet that was sent by the device (in fact the info was sent in the ep: section). OIce the modification done to the database and the "STE218" device added to the device.js a restart of the zigbetomqtt showed the device in the log:

zigbee2mqtt:info 2019-1-6 08:26:51 0xf8f005fffff89588 (0xf8f005fffff89588): SORH - Stelpro Thermostat integre zigbee Stelpro (Router) in the log

Now as mentionned in the "How to support new devices" after pairing and adding the device, I tried to trigger some action (changing the temperature) but NOTHING apperas in the log, it seems like either the zigbeetomqtt does not see the device or there is a link missing

would anyone have a clue on the issue ?

thanks to all

Comment

when I was working with a new device type I ran zigbee2mqtt with debug option to get low level information. first I would confirm that fromzigbee.js has your device identified. I doubt if it is in standard distribution so you need to add it manually. look at wiki under adding new devices

Comment

Mike,

I know I will need to add converters for my device but prior doing so, if I follow the "How to support new devices" documentation, Once paired and the device added to the device.js I should see error messages in the log when I play with the thermostat but I don't so I can't build the converter since I have no clue of the CID's sent by the thermostat when it is activated !

Comment

while I don't understand what all the debug detail means it at least shows if there is communication related to thermostat. I have even gone to the next step with wireshark and whsniff to see the lowest level data. on phone now do cannot give specifics.

Comment

While I am very interested in having zigbee devices attached to HS3, I don't think my electronic skills are to the level to go any further.

Even with all debug level activated, I can't see any information in the log file when activating the thermostat, I think I'll have to wait for someone with more knowledge than me create the device in the zigbetomqtt package.

thanks anyway

Comment

when I started I knew absolutely nothing about zigbee and zigbee2mqtt. my first devices were RGBgenie and Iris motion which were not supported. I just open an issue in each case on github forum for zigbee2m2tt and was given step by step instructions and I posted the results for them to diagnose and they gave me further directions. The author wants to increase the supported devices count so has been very good in this newbie process.

Comment

Unfortunatly, I have not been able to get my Stelpro Zigbee thermostat to work, had some exchange with the zigbee2mqtt author but we are at a halt, I have only been able to pair the device but have found no way to get the interface receive any changes from the devices.

I'll continue to monitor github for any finding that could help me contine this project, thanks anyway

Comment

Working...
                                X