MQTT crashes and restarts when topic received

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
    The only one I know that comes with MQTT from the factory is Shelly https://shelly-api-docs.shelly.cloud/#settings-login. They make it convenient to reflash with other firmware too.

The factory firmware in most Sonoff devices, and likely others, provides a WiFi method to update firmware. The program SonOTA.exe https://github.com/mirko/SonOTA/releases implements the protocol used by Sonoff/eWeLink to allow update of alternate firmware vs. the latest version from the factory. There was a short period of time last year where Sonoff version 1.6 was shipped and it broke this update. Version 1.5 and now version 2.x continue to support it.

The problem spot for many on SonOTA.exe is that they forget to disable fully all their firewalls and the update fails in its final stage in this case. There are YouTube videos on flashing with SonOTA.exe.

eWeLink is never used when flashing alternate firmware. If I remember correctly, a factory Sonoff will setup its own SSID and expect the smartphone or similar device to connect to this network. The next step is then use a browser to tell the Sonoff what your network SSID and password is so it configures itself to use this SSID rather than its own. Rather than a browser it may be eWeLink that is used to configure the Sonoff. Again, this is normal use of Sonoff and not the approach to flashing new firmware.
    Shelly seems to be mainly for Europe although some of the modules can be used here. I'll keep them in mind.

I think I'm generally clear but let me make sure.
    • You can update the device firmware via WiFi as well as using a flashing cable. So the Tasmota firmware could be initially be loaded that way.
    • You can put the devices into Access Point mode so the WiFi settings can be set.
    The one thing I'm not clear on is can both of those items still be done once in the same way the Tasmota firmware has been loaded and is there any change on how it's done?
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.531 | Mono JIT compiler version 5.20.1.19 (tarball Thu Apr 11 09:02:17 UTC 2019)
    Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-48-generic #51-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 3 08:28:49 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    IP Address: 10.0.2.16 | Number of Devices: 417 | Number of Events: 667 | Available Threads: 399 | HSTouch Enabled: True

Enabled Plug-Ins: AirplaySpeak: 3.0.0.13 | BLBackup: 2.0.61.0 | EasyTrigger: 3.0.0.65 | LiftMaster MyQ: 1.3.7006.42100
    mcsMQTT: 4.0.2.2 | PHLocation2: 3.0.0.53 | Pushover 3P: 0.0.0.45 | Z-Wave: 3.0.1.262

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 using a HomeSeer SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3)

Comment

Once Tasmota or ESPurna has been loaded they retain your setup. Only the executable changes on a firmware upload. This means there is no need to go into AP mode. If you toggle between the two you will need to do that because settings are stored in different places.

If your intention is to embed Tasmota/Espurna in the junction box where an existing switch is located then Shelly is your best option. It is small and designed for this purpose. Makes no difference if Europe or USA.

Comment

The only Shelly devices we can't use are the ones that plugin since they are not in the US plug format. Not 100%sure about the light bulb although it does have an Edison base and show it works from 120 to 240VAC. The main problem is only a few of the devices seem to be available in the US.

So if you make any network changes, such as WiFi passwords, you have to re-flash or can you just press the config button and get back to the WiFi setup menu?

Here comes the RAIN again. At least we don't have snow in SoCal.
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.531 | Mono JIT compiler version 5.20.1.19 (tarball Thu Apr 11 09:02:17 UTC 2019)
        Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-48-generic #51-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 3 08:28:49 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
        IP Address: 10.0.2.16 | Number of Devices: 417 | Number of Events: 667 | Available Threads: 399 | HSTouch Enabled: True

Enabled Plug-Ins: AirplaySpeak: 3.0.0.13 | BLBackup: 2.0.61.0 | EasyTrigger: 3.0.0.65 | LiftMaster MyQ: 1.3.7006.42100
        mcsMQTT: 4.0.2.2 | PHLocation2: 3.0.0.53 | Pushover 3P: 0.0.0.45 | Z-Wave: 3.0.1.262

Comment

If you put Tasmota on them and the device has some form of control button then four quick clicks puts it into AP mode. https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-Ta...i/Button-usage

Comment

Looked at the Shelly product list...nice stuff...what is it that you like about them John? Noticed too their main offices are in Sofia, Bulgaria.

Here configuring multiple micro routers for the WiFi devices network and there is a scanning option (Espurna) which picks the AP based on signal strength.

Cold reset on the Espurna firmware is just holding the button down for 10 seconds which brings you back to AP mode and reconfiguring everything.

With Tasmota and Espurna you can save and reload your old configuration once you have access.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.00
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Although playing round with devices is fun and I like to do it I also want to see more devices that support standards as well as their own private protocols. That's why I like Shelly as they support MQTT out of the box where SonOff doesn't. The problem with Shelly is only a few products are available in the US.

I have the same issue with many manufactures not supporting MQTT so the devices can still communicate even when the Internet is down. Some of the manufactures I'm pushing are Liftmaster, Ubiquities UniFi line, Ring especially the Ring Alarm. If they were to add MQTT it would be great but I'm not holding my breath.

BTW, I suspect that Sonoff likely doesn't have room on their processor to hold both what they are normally running and MQTT which is too bad. Can you confirm that?

Comment

The eWeLink firmware must be very small for as little as it does inside the ESP microprocessor. Look at how may different type of interfaces that are supported in a single Tasmota image. No single product needs all of these. In past years the devices had 512K program memory and now they are 1M or 4M. The only notes I have seen in Tasmota about limitations relates to SSL support not fitting so one needs to give up something if they want SSL.

It is more of a business decision as to who their target market is and the complexity they want to support.

Comment

Working...
                X