Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie here - How to mirror devices from HS3 installation B to HS3 installation A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie here - How to mirror devices from HS3 installation B to HS3 installation A

Hello,
    I have a Windows running HS3 and a Raspberry Pi also running HS3. Both are on the same LAN, in different buildings. I'm trying to see / control the devices (that are sitting on the rPi) using the Windows install. Do I need the mcsMQTT plugin on both end? Could someone give me a quick rundown on the required settings on each end (or the one end)?

Many thanks in advance

Sorry I missed this until now.

There are multiple ways to integrate multiple instances of HS on LAN or WAN. MQTT is a convenient approach. mcsMQTT would be needed on each HS. On any single computer on the LAN you would install a MQTT broker which is usually Mosquitto.

MQTT is typically used for integration of IOT devices. If, for example you had IOT device measuring temperature then when this device does an update via MQTT both of your HS installations would get the update.

I get the impression you do not have any other independent devices and only two computers for which you want to share information. I also get the impression that the RPi may have some setup via a user interface, but otherwise you want the Windows install to have all the status and control UI.

I will use an example of an existing relay device (Ref #100) on the RPi that is controlled from the Windows HS. On the RPi mcsMQTT Association tab for device 100 you want click Associate checkbox and enter a subscribe topic such as RPi/Relay100/cmnd. There will also be a default publish topic showing and for this discussion it will be changed to RPi/Relay100/stat. When you command the relay from RPI it will send a MQTT message on the topic RPi/Relay100/stat. If the RPi sees a message on topic RPi/Relay100/cmnd then it will control the relay and then send RPi/Relay100/stat with the new status.

On the Windows HS mcsMQTT Association tab, after you have done the RPi setup, you will find the RPi/Relay100/stat message. Click Associate checkbox at the plugin will create a device that will hold the status delivered from the RPi. Let us say this is device reference 200. In the publish text box on the Association tab row for this device you will enter RPi/Relay100/cmnd. If you now change device 200 from the Windows UI it will send RPi/Relay100/cmnd message where the RPi will respond by changing the state of the relay and returning the new state status message that will update device 200 on the Windows HS.

Comment

Michael,

Thanks a lot for that explanation on linking two HS instances. Your example is a great showcase for the power of MQTT. Interesting that it took 25 years for IBM's MQ pub/sub to gain universal popularity. I remember when it was introduced we all thought it was cool but really didn't have much of a use for it. Things change.

I have two HS installs in 2 different locations. If you were to link these using MQTT, since it would be using public networks for site to site messaging, how would you address security?

Thanks for all you do!

Comment

I have two HS installs in 2 different locations. If you were to link these using MQTT, since it would be using public networks for site to site messaging, how would you address security?
        Security is not something that I have been too concerned myself, but I do understand the issue. I have zigbee2mqtt and wifi devices at one location that communicate over the WAN to my Mosquitto broker at another location. In essence they are remote sensors and actuators. I have not had the need to setup a second HS instance as all my logic is either local to my remote WiFi devices or consolidated in the one HS instance.

While I do not use it, others have the security features of mcsMQTT implemented to protect the mcsMQTT to MQTT Broker data link. The most common is with just username password. Encryption is also supported. I think those that use it have self-signed certificates. The mcsMQTT manual has an extensive description of using security certificates.

Comment

Thank you so much for your instructions,... All sounds quite direct and easy. And no worries about that tiny delay in responding... I'll be sure to post back once I go through the exercise.
          Cheers

Comment

Although it would be a good idea (or should I say highly recommended or even mandatory) to implement secure MQTT connections between broker, devices, Homeseer instances and plugin, I would start with securing your site to site connection over the public network (internet). Many modern router have the option to define a p2p VPN connection that allows you to safely communicate between two locations over the internet. IMHO setting up a VPN between the HS instances you are connecting would be the bare minimum.

Comment

Yes, your description of my setup is quite accurate. I have a few devices on the rPi and several more on the Windows install. All devices are zwave. I installed the Mosquitto broker on the Windows PC. Both installs had your plugin running (pointing to the Windows IP for a broker - I wrongly thought your plugin included a broker) and they saw one another almost instantly. I didn't bother with any security as all this only live on my LAN or VPN. I had a few issues associating devices as nothing would appear on that Associate tab unless I added them on the Edit/Add tab. But all was straightforward after that. All works instantly in either direction. Many thanks for your help and a great plugin.

Comment

Working...
              X