No announcement yet.

DIY firmware upgrade to ITead S31 Smart Socket switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huge thank you to Michael for remote help without which i would not be able to copy settings and duplicate it on another device.

Also thanks to Pete for advices and guidances.

Comment

Good News Tim!

Here trying the in wall WiFi dimmer with upgraded firmware. Did you do the update wirelessly or wired (serial)?
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        Good News Tim!

Here trying the in wall WiFi dimmer with upgraded firmware. Did you do the update wirelessly or wired (serial)?

Pete,
        It was done wirelessly with Raspberry Pi board. i have few boards and i'm trying to leave them for specific tasks, but unfortunately didn't mark them.
        Took less than 5 minutes per dimmer.

Will check Costco if they still sell those dimmers.

Comment

Thank you Tim. Found new two packs on sale on Ebay from US or Canada for around $20 USD with free shipping.

Googling some now see the Feit WiFi dimmers at the local big box stores and Amazon.

Might pick one up at Amazon and return it it if it doesn't work for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wifi.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1367793
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Let me know if you see any blinds roll automation products that can be integrated into HS. I have intention ( depending on price ) of automating my blinds.

Comment

The Hook Up has several videos on integrating blinds. In general his videos are well done. One is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8kXChmKx7U and you should be able to get to other from there.

Comment

Hi everyone,

I have successfully programmed all on my costco dimmers, with Michael's and Pete's help my mqtt system is working as well. Few things still need improvement. First would be problem with tasmota firmware flashed devices are disconnecting every now and then from the wifi assigned to iot devices.
                Second problem is that latest version of tasmota is 8.2 and doesn't support WF500D as an dimmer. Instead is seeing dimmers as switches.
                Third problem is that tasmota firmware doesn't have any passwords for log in. Correct me if I'm wrong, but does that not mean that in the moment of disconnection, everyone can gain access to the device.

Best Regards
                Tim Jovanovic

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe it is normal for IOT devices to loose WIFI connection every so often. When it happens they attempt to reconnect until connection is again established. Same is true of the reconnection to the MQTT broker if it is ever lost.

I have not looked at the Tasmota settings options, but you likely can get the dimmer functionality. I do recall some enhancements in a recent release about the MCU used for your dimmer so it is very likely there will be some “setoption” for configuring the MCU operation. I know there are YouTube videos on configuring Tasmota for Tuya MCU dimmers. A google search will identify them.

Tasmota has HTTP server, a MQTT client and a Serial client. Passwords can be setup for HTTP and MQTT, but I never do. The Other setup has the HTTP password. Username default in source is admin. I have never done it so best to play with device where you have serial access so if you get locked out you have a back do or to recover. The MQTT username and password are on the MQTT setup page. To use these your MQTT Broker needs to be configured to use them.

Before any of these come into play the intruder needs to get on your network. The WiFi part of it has password too. There is the man in the middle exploit that is used by Tuya Convert. This is likely the one you are thinking about during the connection time. I am not a security expert, but I do not think passwords help with this.

Comment

If you have a Ubiquiti Unifi access point running you might try turning off the Auto Optimized Network setting per the instructions here:. https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/au...access-to-work While this was work regards to the Roomba vacs it could apply here as well. It is a long shot but thought I would mention it just in case.
                    Karl S
                    HS4Pro on Windows 10
                    1070 Devices
                    56 Z-Wave Nodes
                    104 Events
                    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                    Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Morning,

I do have Ubiquiti router and unify wifi.
                      All wifi devices used in HS are assigned to static IP addresses. Most of the time everything works fine.
                      Will check log files to see how often they disconnect from Wi-Fi.

Would it be advisable to separate Wi-Fi that is used for HS devices from internet?
                      Is it even possible for normal operation of the system.

I have 10 costco WF500D dimmers and 8 of them are on tasmota 8.2.
                      2 devices are on tasmota 6.6.0.x.
                      Those 2 are having dimmer options. I'm guessing that WF500D requirements are not added in 8.2 version. So, last night something stronger than common sense forced me to "play" with tasmota and espurna and I "successfully bricked" one dimmer. Will open it today and try to revive it with serial connection. Yesterday I also purchased another 10 of the same dimmers. $29 for pair. Couldn't say no to that. Prices in $CAD.

So, is absence of password something to be worried about? If someone gains access to dimmer, can they access main router or for example PC on the same network?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Best Regards
                      Tim Jovanovic

Comment

Hi Tim,
                        I have a teckin dimmer switch (similar to the one in Pete's post #50, but not that actual one). It has an MCU in addition to the esp wifi chip, like Michael mentions. I converted it to tasmota with tuya convert2. This switch is using the 8.2 version of Tasmota. I am able to use it as a dimmer on the device web interface or at the switch itself. I am at work, so I don't have the module settings or template to list here. but I found this settings at this website:
                        https://templates.blakadder.com/switch.html

You might be able to find your switch there. I can post the module settings later today, if that might help.

I am still working on getting it into Homeseer with mcsMQTT, completely. I have a couple of devices for the switch in the device setting screen in Homeseer. This controls the switch and dimming, but I would like to get them combined into one device under Homeseer.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by dbvanb View Post
                          Hi Tim,
                          I have a teckin dimmer switch (similar to the one in Pete's post #50, but not that actual one). It has an MCU in addition to the esp wifi chip, like Michael mentions. I converted it to tasmota with tuya convert2. This switch is using the 8.2 version of Tasmota. I am able to use it as a dimmer on the device web interface or at the switch itself. I am at work, so I don't have the module settings or template to list here. but I found this settings at this website:
                          https://templates.blakadder.com/switch.html

You might be able to find your switch there. I can post the module settings later today, if that might help.

I am still working on getting it into Homeseer with mcsMQTT, completely. I have a couple of devices for the switch in the device setting screen in Homeseer. This controls the switch and dimming, but I would like to get them combined into one device under Homeseer.

Bruce
                          Hi Bruce,

I got my template from same website but, you are right. Now shows different template. I'm at work now, but as soon I get home, will Chang it to current values from above site.
                          I can program on/off and access it from HomeSeer via mqtt but dimmer options are missing. Worst case scenario, will downgrade tasmota to 6.6 version that have dimmer options.

Thank you for response.

Comment

Tim,
                            Here are some screen shots of what I have configured:

Name:	Screenshot_2020-04-14 Kitchen dimmer - Main Menu.png
Views:	169
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	1377739Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-04-14 Kitchen dimmer - Configure Module.png
Views:	172
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1377741

Name:	Screenshot_2020-04-14 Kitchen dimmer - Console.png
Views:	103
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	1377742

Name:	Screenshot_2020-04-14 HomeSeer Web Control(1).png
Views:	102
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1377743
                            I am still trying to connect the dimmer and power (634 and 618)

Hope this might be of help
                            Bruce
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dbvanb View Post
                              Tim,
                              Here are some screen shots of what I have configured:

Name:	Screenshot_2020-04-14 Kitchen dimmer - Main Menu.png
Views:	169
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	1377739Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-04-14 Kitchen dimmer - Configure Module.png
Views:	172
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1377741

Name:	Screenshot_2020-04-14 Kitchen dimmer - Console.png
Views:	103
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	1377742

Name:	Screenshot_2020-04-14 HomeSeer Web Control(1).png
Views:	102
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1377743
                              I am still trying to connect the dimmer and power (634 and 618)

Hope this might be of help
                              Bruce
                              Hi Bruce,

Thank you for pictures and help. From your picture I can see that you have tasmota 8.1.0.2.
                              Also in console view, you have dimmer at 40%.

In my case, I have tasmota 8.2.0 and when I paste code to program it for WF500D dimmer, I only have switch option. On my older dimmers, same type, 6.6.0.6 version, everything works as it should.
                              I have changed settings on dimmer yesterday and I have found that on one settings I get dimmer option but only 50% intensity of the light and dimmer value is 100%.

Need more research and time.

Will post when I get it working.

Comment

Working...
                              X