Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interfacing IOT devices (Shelly, Tuya, SmartLife, Sonoff et.al)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
    My intention is that the plugin be user-need driven. An example is the 8 channel relay/input that interfaces using a custom TCP protocol. It was integrated into mcsMQTT in a manner that makes the device look to the user like a MQTT device.

I am on the fence for Tuya/SmartLife devices. I don't especially like chasing proprietary software that needs reverse engineering. HS4 also will have what is likely a native cloud-based interface that will be good enough for most casual users. A released CPS plugin is also promised. I have prototype code that talks Tuya-speak, but I do not have an automatic way yet to get the encryption key.

As products surface that are IP based then I am open to adding them. It really does not matter what the specific protocol may be. I'm leaning toward splitting out the BLE/Location tracking application and keep the plugin more product vs. application focused.
    So a little like big5 , but setup could be easier (automated) or be complicated:flexible depending what the user needs

Comment

Woukd it be hard to implement an ssh server dicated to hs4
      ? This is what openhab and home assistant do.

Comment

Don't know what you are asking about ssh or what analogy you are making with Big5. What is easier in Big5? SSH, from my experience, is at the OS level and not the application level.

Comment

I think they are dedicating a port to the ssh server. From there you can send command to the automation sofware api points.

I think it is like opening a session to hs3 telnet ...but in a more secure way.

Comment

I still do not understand your SSH input, not have I seen anything with respect to Big5 being more user-friendly.

SSH is normally done on port 22. Only application can bind to port 22 and this is usually something like OpenSSH doing the binding. If you do another port then you are expecting that application to implement SSH protocol. If this is done it seems to me that is should be at the HS level and not the plugin level unless perhaps if you want a dedicated SSH plugin. HS has provided a JSON API to get to the end points. I do not see what capability you desire that does not exist already.

Comment

Hi Michael, yes I thought about it and this should be done at hst level . Replacing the non secure telnet with this would be great! sorry for that

—-for big 5 , it is more userfriendly because you have less options with that program. That’s is just it. And the 5 protocol are proposed in a generic way for the user.

in resumé it is a tool that get the job done . But stay basic.
              what I meant about my comment is : you want to add protocols just like big5 did. But you want to innovate and listen to your users.

big5 will stay were it is. I’m pretty sure. And i like it for simple stuff. (A simple program to use that does simple stuff) I lack innovation , and could have been so much better.

The way i see mcsmqtt, is that is has no limits, it respect hs3-4 api with devices etc, and the author always innovate by adding stuff.

i think we can do more with mcsmqtt than big5 (mqtt part)
              It actS ‘’like an mqtt api’’ for all hs3 devices.

but this have a cost , cpu usage .

——

I followed recently a blog about home assistant. They will change their name.

the traditionnal install will now be called home-assistant core . And the one that give everything ( easy install of docker
              addonc, etc etc) is now called ‘’Home assistant’’
              . they made this decision because they want people.. that when people think about home assistant ....they will
              think about the whole backage with all the cool
              fonction etc.

——

anyways sorry for my english on this post. But, I think mcsmqtt plugin can comme in a full package (like now ) or in a minimal install(confiration) where user enter their mqtt topic ‘a la carte’ (because they know them...not because the plugin found them for them.

i would vote that the default configuration of mcsmqtt became the basic one——without broker (i personnaly had to deactivate mosquito to open the plugin; then had the put my broquer in the broquer field; then had to reactivate mosquitoo), without searching all the topic on the broker etc, the express setup activated...—— and when they feel more confident with it...then they could add fonctions one by one ?

Do not know if this make sense?

I really want to make the move to mcsmqtt, but I need to find the time to read the pdf again (doing my school thesis write now)...

in the future i will
              move the more that i can to sensors that can communicate with mqtt. They seems more reliable cheap , and customizable . I am not impressed with z wave tech to be honest.

anyways time to sleep thanks michael!

Comment

I’ll test mcsmqtt 4.x on hs4 in more or less 2 weeks...I may transfert a t that moment if hs4 is stable for prod

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                  Take a look at SetOption8 https://github.com/arendst/Tasmota/w...nds#SetOption8
                  You could also do it in mcsMQTT from Edit tab/page with numeric expression of $$PAYLOAD:*1.8+32

Thanks Michael. I used “SetOption8 0” from the console page of the web interface for the Sonoff TH. Worked great. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction 😀👍
                  HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                  2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Michael, thanks for your overview of IOT device technologies. I’ve been using Sonoff with your MQTT plugin for about a year. Everything works well when properly configured. This past year has been a challenge for me. I have spent a huge amount of time dealing with device failures(hardware), device upgrades(software), and changes to my local network. I have moved from a cable based ISP to a fiber optic based ISP. This means new hardware and lots of network IP address changes. At the same time, both of my Dell 3050 mini computers failed. My whole home automation setup was down for weeks at a time. I now have everything working again. My wireless network is extremely complicated for me to manage. I have 3 wireless routers with about 65 wireless devices connected. I recently purchased a 4K TV and 2 4K streaming devices. When my kids and grandkids visit they add another 15 wireless devices. I’ve had lots of issues with my Sonoff devices related to changing IP addresses.

I think MQTT is the best tool for IOT devices. But I think it needs to be kept as simple as possible.

Steve Q
                    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Working...
                    X