Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmitting payload using MQTT to ESP8266

Hi guys,

I am making my first steps into exploring MQTT and have loaded Michael's plugin.

I have and ESP8266 board loaded with the MQTT basic example code. I am going to be using Michael's plugin as the host so have added the IP address and port number to the code also. The code sends a payload to the HS3 system every second with a "Hello World" and incrementing number. I've got this being received at the HS3 end and even set up a device which holds the value.

I now want to test transmitting a payload to a device and have setup an ESP8266 to display payloads which have sent with the topic "Homeseer". If I go to events and do a manual event to send some data to the device, it gets sent and received (e.g. putting this into an event results in the time being received "Homeseer=$$time").

How do I create a device in HS3 that has a text box or field / button that sends the payload rather than having to create an event?

Cheers,

Jay

I've got at least a switched state working now - by creating a device manually, then adding the device number to the MQTT settings ... which reduces the options of having a text field - it just allows the two device states for the device.... is this the way that it is supposed to be done?

Comment

From Association tab, click on the button for the topic for which you created your Hello World device. This will bring up the Edit tab. For the Control/Status UI radio selected Text if it is not already selected. In the publish topic text box enter Homeseer. You now have a HS Device with a control to enter text and send the text that was entered on topic Homeseer.

Normally there is at least two levels in the topics such as Homeseer/Status. If there is an issue with the above then try a topic with at least one slash.

Comment

Hi Michael,

Thanks ever so much for the reply. I tried the slash in the topic and eventually got a device changing status in HS and also on the ESP!!

I’ve decided to try some off the shelf devices before getting deeper into custom projects - having flashed some Tasmota devices.

Once again Thankyou.

Jay

Comment

Working...
        X