Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way MQTT knows when a device stops sending messages ? (Ring doorbell)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way MQTT knows when a device stops sending messages ? (Ring doorbell)

I use the iobroker ring plugin in docker. This works for a few days, then stops all of a sudden. I first thought it was a configuration issue, but all it needs is a stop the ring PI in iobroker, and start it again. Not sure why this is happening, and I am not sure I can automate stopping and starting the Ring PI in docker (running on Synology NAS)
    But I read somewheer (still new to MQTT and still having to learn a lot) that devices broadcast a last will and testament (LWT) message before they stop broadcasting ? If this was the case, is there a possibility to somehow trigger a device or event so that I could send myself a notification to restart iobroker or the Ring PI ?

My MQTT broker is the mcsMQTT PI which runs on my HS4 PC (I use the HS3 PI). HS4 Webhook is configured with the HS4 PC's IP. I have MQTT running on iobroker too. Could that cause issues ?

Here using the Ring-MQTT plugin and newest version is working well. There is a keep alive MQTT variable created. I wrote to the author around a month ago about some issues and he has corrected them all. Note this works with the RIng Doorbell and Ring alarm system sensors / Ring devices.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I have to have a look at that. I cannot access github from work to read, but I assume I could run that on a windows machine instead of iobroker ?
      I do run node-red and node.js on my windows HS4 machine

Comment

The use of MQTT for multiple clients on the same network is normal and not a problem. There are two ways via mcsMQTT to monitor the doorbell.

1. If the doorbell sends a periodic status update, say perhaps every ten minutes, then the topic of this message can be monitored in the mcsMQTT event Timeout trigger that could be setup for some time longer than ten minutes.

2. If the doorbell included a Last Will and Testament when it connected to the MQTT broker then when the doorbell goes offline the MQTT broker will deliver this Will message that could be used as an event trigger via mcsMQTT event Receive trigger

You could also use networking tools to ping the doorbell and when the ping is not returned the trigger the event. There are HS plugins that can do this.

Comment

Pinging the doorbell wont work, as its still online and happily communicating with the cloud and app.
          I cannot see any periodic status updates unfortunately, I will have to try and find out if it sends a LWT message.
          I might have a temporary 'solution' by restarting the Ring iobroker plugin every morning. Not ideal as it might stop working during the day but it might help a little for the moment

Another issue I have just found out (and a friend of mine), the Ring iobroker PI stopped working, and we had to renew the 2FA token. Thats strange and I wonder if other people had to renew the ring 2FA token too ?

Comment

Are you using any Ubiquiti Unifi access points running the Auto Optimized Network setting? If yes, try turning it off per the instructions here:. https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/au...access-to-work Some devices are known to loose connection when this happens. Maybe the Ring unit is? Although I would then suspect it would stop communicating to the cloud as well, but it may be worth investigating.
            Karl S
            HS4Pro on Windows 10
            1070 Devices
            56 Z-Wave Nodes
            104 Events
            HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
            Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

No, I do not use UniFi, I have a Asus mesh network. In my iobroker logs, it looks as if the Ring just stops reporting anything. Normally, a restart of the iobroker Ring PI solves the issue. This time it didn't as on top of that Ring requires a new 2FA token.
              The Ring keeps working, the chimes work so does the app (with uploaded video to the cloud). So pretty sure the issue is with the iobroker Ring PI.

Comment

Can you include a heartbeat message in iobroker ring pi? You could then monitor that message via mcsMQTT timeout trigger.

Comment

Working...
                X