Ignore a specific topic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignore a specific topic?

I want mscMQTT to accept all topics except the ones starting with "happy-bubble", which should be ignored.
    How can I do that?
    HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
    Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
    on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
    WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

You can do that if your desire is to subscribe to only those topics that have been associated with HS devices. In this case the General Tab, Inbound Management, Topic Discovery radio would be selected to be second option.

An alternative is to use the Reject checkbox on the Association tab for all the "happy-bubble" topics. This only hides the topics from mcsMQTT view. The topic is still actually being received. This feature is not something I have used since original introduction so if you do use it then the potential exists that a bug has been introduced with the plugin's evolution.

I did not see any provisions in Mosquitto or M2MQTT for specifying a subscription exclude list so it is not something that I could add to mcsMQTT.

Comment

If I understand the option correctly, that's not entirely what I'm after. I want to see all topics, just except the "happy-bubbles" ones. I'm generating some new topics at the moment (I just started with MQTT on NodeMCUs), and I'd like to see those new ones.

Or perhaps there's a way to manually subscripe to topics that I'm missing?

This plugin is massive! Impressive, but also a little frightening...
      HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Why does it matter to you if happy-bubbles topic are routed to mcsMQTT if they are rejected before they are displayed? The reject option seems to be what you are trying to accomplish.

You can manually added topics on the Edit tab and then use option to only subscribe to those associated with HS.

You can also enable all topics (with happy-bubbles rejected) when you are going to add others then revert back to subscribe to only associated. When playing around it is not unusual to get topics that will never be seen again. You can use the "O"bsolete column checkbox on the Association tab to remove those. It is like "R"eject, but if obsoleted one reappear they will be included again.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
          Why does it matter to you if happy-bubbles topic are routed to mcsMQTT if they are rejected before they are displayed?
          It doesn't really, as far as I know.
          I'm really sorry for being a newbie here. I'm somewhat familiar with MQTT, but I'm a noob when it comes to mscMQTT. The auto-discovery of WLED devices is a VERY nice touch, good job!

But (if I understand this correctly, and that might be a big IF) it's a massive job to reject all topics. If I select to display all incomming topics, I get something like 62.000+++ rows, the plugin eats alot of RAM (1+ GB) and it takes a very long time to load.

However, I'll give it a shot, and we'll see how it goes.

Is it possible to reject all topics matching "happy-bubbles/#"?

Comment

Here's a screenshot, it took almost 15 minutes.

Will it be enough if I just reject any of those starting with
            • happy-bubbles/ble/lh-room
            • happy-bubbles/ble/west
            • happy-bubbles/ble/basement
            ?

Comment

I understand the issue. It could become problematic to performance to retain the large volume of data on a topic by topic basis. What I will do is is add a reject template so that mcsMQTT can trashcan them before they have a chance to be considered for anything.

Comment

I added the Reject Topic Template on the General Tab, Inbound Management, under the Obsolete Topic text box. Wildcards are accepted. Semicolon is used to separate multiple topics. I would guess all you want is happy-bubbles/#, but if you want to do happy-bubbles/ble/lh-room/#;happy-bubbles/ble/lh-west/# etc you could.

Using this will delete all existing entries in the mcsMQTT database and firewall anything that matches the template.

http://mcsSprinklers.com/HSPI_mcsMQTT_5_6_2_0.zip (HS4) and http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT_5_6_2_0.zip (HS3). Manual is update too, but what is above should be enough for you.

As a side note, mcsMQTT has a BLE capability for beacon identification and location identification. It seems happy-bubbles is generating much MQTT traffic. I will explain more if you are interested.

Comment

That is fanstastic! You are good. And fast!
                  I'll get right on this tonight!

Comment

EDIT: All is fine, read post #12 below.

I added it like this:

The topics still shows up on the Statistics tab. Is that right?

Click image for larger version  Name:	9ldpCb8.png Views:	0 Size:	76.1 KB ID:	1427733

After I added the "Obsolete Topic" option, the plugin used 10-15 minutes (and locking up the web interface), and HS3 was threatening to restart the plugin (but didn't, luckily) until it returned to normal.

Comment

EDIT: All is fine, read post #12 below.

And when I press "Show Selected Associations" with "Include Received MQTT Topics", I still see alot of happy-bubbles topics. But not as many as I did.

Perhaps these got received before I managed to enter anything in the Osolete Topics box?

Comment

No, wait. I'm being an idiot! I read your post wrong.
                        Sorry!

The Rejected Topic box works like intended! It also reduced the CPU usage of the plugin drastically, funnily enough.

Comment

After this update, I see that another device of mine stopped working.

Publishing tot the topic works, but the input does not:

But if I publish anything on that subject (either from HomeSeer or elsewhere), the device isn't updated. It's like it's just not received.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	KcvMrs4.png
Views:	102
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1428451

Weird?

Comment

I still see the message on the Statistics page but for some reason, it doesn't show up on as Associated:

Comment

The exclude logic following statistics update and prior to updating the properties of the message that show in the Association tab are:
                              1. Subscribe topic is also a publish topic
                              2. Subscribe topic is Homeassistant Discovery protocol that was sourced by mcsMQTT
                              3. Topic was not in dictionary of previously recognized topics and setting to disable new topic discovery was set

It looks like #2 and #3 are not the case. Could #1 be the reason?

There is not additional debug data in the log between the two point. I can add some or I can make the source available so you can use Visual Studio to debug.

Comment

Working...
                              X