Chart doesn't show data if expression used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart doesn't show data if expression used

Hi, all. I'm getting into mcsMQTT for a new Shelly 1PM I just ordered. The /temperature_f topic didn't seem to be received reliably so I used the expression $$PAYLOAD: * 1.8 + 32 as shown in the manual. Unfortunately, the chart that comes up if I click the payload value in the MQTT association table contains no data. X shows a reasonable time period but Y is scaled for the pre-expression data and contains no data. If I remove the expression and refresh the chart the data shows up with X & Y remaining basically the same.

Am I doing something wrong?

Here are a couple images, one without expression and one with.

Fixed in http://mcsSprinklers.com/HSPI_mcsMQTT_5_6_3_2.zip for HS4 and http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT_5_6_3_2.zip for HS3. If you do not already know how to use the updater override then I can explain if you tell me which of the two plugins you are using.

Comment

Interestingly enough I just was checking the forum to see if anyone else was having this issue after I ran into it. Could you let me know how to use the updater override? I'm still using HS3.

Thanks

Comment

There was a chart update to handle ability to specify 2nd Y axis range in http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT_5_6_3_3.zip so you might as well used this one for the update.

Instructions paraphrased from the HST HS3 SDK:

Place your package installation ZIP file into the \Updates3\Zips folder.
        Unzip from the download installation ZIP the file updater_override.txt and copy it into the HomeSeer folder directory.
        Now go to the menu Plugins‐>Manage and click on the Refresh button so it finds your updater_override.txt file and it should list your package.

Comment

Thanks for the instructions. I was able to update to 5.6.3.3, but when attempting to display a chart I get the error "Error Generating Chart: Line Conversion from string "" to type 'Double' is not valid." This happens after selecting my criteria, and then hitting the "Show Selected Chart" box in the Chart tab.

I'm using the same experession as described in the first message. (Converting a subscribed MQTT value from Celsius to Fahrenheit)

Any idea what I might have done wrong?

Comment

The message indicates that the payload is not a number and specifically the payload is blank. Charts are made from mcsMQTT History.db which is in the \Data\mcsMQTT folder. Zip up and post this file along with the topic you are trying to chart. Either post it or email to mcsSolutions at CenturyTel dot net.

Comment

Hello,

I'm admittedly a noob for MQTT, and I'm in awe at the complexity of the MSCMQTT plugin. Thank you for making it Michael.

I am a recent purchaser of an Ecowitt GW1000 and I was able to set it up on my network in bring the data into HS3 using the plugin. Unfortunately, the plugin thinks all the data values are strings and nothing will chart. Whenever I click on any one of the hyperlinks in the Payload column, show here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_96424.png
Views:	120
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	1440526
              I get the same message:
              Error Generating Chart: Line Conversion from string "" to type 'Double' is not valid.

I am running mcsMQTT plugin version 5.9.3.2. on HS3-RPi. I installed it from the HS3 updater.

What am I doing wrong? How do I get the plugin to recognize the payloads and recognize them as numbers not strings? Should I be using a different version of the plugin?

I'm a bit embarrassed to post this, but I scoured the mega-documentation, the forums here, and the depths (shallows?) of my understanding for several hours.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Comment

Go to the Edit tab by pressing any Ref button on the Association tab at you want to change from text to some numeric form. Change the Control/Status UI to what seems appropriate. If you have a define number of string values then Button or List is appropriate. This will setup Value/Status pairs so graphics of the Values is possible. There are other with Ecowitt so I know the integration in a desirable way is possible.

Comment

Wow, thank you for the rapid reply, Michael.

All of the devices that fail charting have the HS Device Control/Status UI set to Number. Is that not the best for a floating point value? I've attached an example:

Name:	MQTT clip.png
Views:	69
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	1440541

Mike

Comment

It is indicating that data has been saved for the topic where the value is null rather than a number. I can do better to protect from invalid numbers rather than just aborting the chart.

Comment

It is not obvious to me where a null value is being converted to Double. Could you zip up \Data\mcsMQTT mcsMQTThistory.db and mcsMQTT.db and email to mcsSolutions at CenturyTel dot net or post here. Which specific topic are you trying to chart?

Comment

I can certainly try. I will email you the zip file tomorrow sometime. Again, thank you.

I'm trying to simply get graphs of temp and humidity over time for now. I also bought a rain gauge sensor so I will be wanting to plot those rain values over time, as well. 👍

P. S. Data that is clearly coming in to HS is getting saved as null makes me think this might be a file permissions issue to the database under Linux. Maybe?

P.S.S. I just zipped and sent the file now.

Comment

I am able to use you history data to produce a history chart from the Chart tab as shown below. I had been working with adding Topic filter for chart Topic selector so what I am testing with may no longer have the issue that you are experiencing. I did try it both on Linux and Windows with the same result. It is very unlikely a permission issue since you are able to get data into the database.

What I suggest is using version 5.11.3.0 that incorporates the Topic selector filter. http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT_5_11_3_0.zip (HS3/HS4) or http://mcsSprinklers.com/
                          HSPI_mcsMQTT_5_11_3_0.zip (HS4)

The updater override process is the safest way to update. If you are unfamiliar with it then look at bottom of post #4 of https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...h-wled-devices

If this does not resolve it then I will add some additional diagnostics.

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	117
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	1440706

Comment

Success! At least I think so. At first it didn't work after HS3 said the plugin update was successful. I was getting the same null error. But I rebooted my RPi to restart HS3, and then I also stopped and restarted the plugin. The graphs now seem to work. I haven't gathered many days worth of data yet, but so far so good!

Thank you, Michael.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                            X