Awesome new mcsMQTT Feature for Geofencing when running Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome new mcsMQTT Feature for Geofencing when running Windows 10

I just wanted to thank Michael for adding the ability to monitor the presence of Bluetooth devices with this plugin directly from the default MS Windows 10 stack. This allows for stable geofencing to run locally with no need for MYHS, Internet access, or even a phone app. For me, a huge value add is there is no other programming needed...like ESP boards. This is VERY plug-and-play.

Please don't expect this post to be near as well done as his plugin documentation ...

Just a quick overview of how mine is set up to show how simple this is...
    • Insert a class 1 BT usb in a Windows 10 server running HS4 - I used a TRENDnet Low Energy Micro Bluetooth 4.0 Class I USB 2.0 with Distance up to 100Meters/330. (about $15)
    • Insert a USB BT device in your vehicle - I used a Feasycom 4000m Mobile USB Long Range eddystone ibeacon. For my events, I found it better to use USB ports that only power up when the vehicle actually starts vs. as in my vehicle that most power up when I open the door. (About $32).
    • Load the plugin and discover and select devices you wish to monitor. As a side note, make sure you turn back off discovery in his plugin. I left it on for a few days and it added to the table every BT device in cars or on the sidewalk that came by. This makes that list long, but the plugin will only create devices for the ones you want.
    Both of BT devices above are on Amazon.

The Feasycom product is the real game changer. Due to it's range, it can penetrate the steel and glass of the inside of a vehicle, go through the walls of my house, and reach the server. Currently, mine is inside the vehicle and that works fine for me. I'm likely going to mount mine outside the vehicle under the front bumper. I'm thinking I can waterproof it with some large heat shrink tubing, but that extra effort really isn't needed I'd expect unless you have range issues.

I've found that even with all the glass/steel/walls/etc detection occurs at somewhere around 150ft when coming home. Since among other things, my events lock and unlock doors I have a few safety net entries in my events, but in general my approach is fairly simple. I'm guessing there are better ways to write the events, but here is what I did.

1) An event that watches for BT device the plugin creates in HS4 for the BP109 to change state and for that event to "turn on" a virtual device that I used to differentiate between departing and arrival. In my case, I call it "Jeep Trip Status." It has three possible values; jeep home, waiting to leave, and on trip. Waiting to leave allows me to start the vehicle and not run events that do things like instantly lock the doors. If for no other reason your wife will likely not really appreciate that if you're in the car first.

2. An second event that triggers when the BP109 “turns off” when I drive out of range AND the virtual device Jeep Trip Status is "waiting to leave" from the first routine running. Among a lot of other things that events does is to lock up the house. It also sets the Jeep Trip Status device to “On Trip” which must be on for the next event to run when the Jeep BP109 comes into range on arrival.

3. An event for detecting arrival. I marked out one line simply because it is a step that assures it’s actually me coming home since this unlocks the house. In general, this event triggers when the BP109 HS4 device “turns on” as I pull into range of the server AND the virtual device “Jeep Trip Status” is set to “On Trip.”

I should have added that this has been 100% stable for me for several weeks now. Far better than phone based apps for me. Maybe others have had better luck with them, but especially for locking up your house 100% is pretty much the minimum IMHO. Thanks Michael!

Comment

One of the best bluetooth receiver . I used it with a 12 or 15 bdi antenna , with another software. http://www.senanetworks.com/ud100-g03.html

Comment

Where did you find the Feasycom 4000m Mobile USB for $30?

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
          Where did you find the Feasycom 4000m Mobile USB for $30?
          https://www.amazon.com/Feasycom-eddy.../dp/B073RFLJWS
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Curious why you think this is better than phone based detection? I use phone based which has been 99.999567% reliable based on my extremely scientific estimations ;-)
            Phone allows me to set multiple fences no matter what vehicle I'm in... car, truck, bus, bicycle, tennis shoes, scooter, etc
            I use a combo of Ping, Wi-fi Router presence (syslog monitoring), and EgiGeofence app on Android.
            Most of the time geofence triggers when driving down my street before I get to the house - and if not, the syslog triggers when pulling in the driveway (even with a very weak Wi-fi signal in my front yard.

Comment

Thank you for sharing it with us

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ltek - The answer for me is simple but may well be different for you.
                • One of the best things about HS software over most other automation software is that it can run 100% locally. This solution does.
                • Especially for me, cell service sucks on my block. At least 20% of the time my phone apps were not able to get back to MYHS. This works even when my HS app it's telling me it can't get to MYHS while my doors are unlocking at the same time. That one really made me smile.
                • In the last couple years, I've run into about ever issue I could have from MYHS seeming to be down to even a time or two my phone in my pocket was out out battery. I see posts and log messages about MYHS being down all the time, so I assume this is not just an issue for me.
                • You also have an Android. I may too soon, but all of us with iPhones IP presence detection does not work well as they "go to sleep." (I admit I have not personally worked with this a lot since googling always gave me that answer. It may work.) My assumption is they do still respond to pings while asleep.
                I think the main reason though you kind of made yourself. This is a single uncomplicated solution that does not take multiple tools/approaches to get the same result.

As far as expanding to cover being on foot etc...While I'm just using it for vehicles so far, I'm guessing most of us probably still have keys or a backpack, a wallet, or a even a phone with them when out and about. I have been testing with more FOB like products like Tile Pro and a waterproof one made by Feasycom. Tile makes small inexpensive products that for instance attach to your phone or go in your wallet that have surprisingly good range. Right now, I have one in my wife's car to know she's home. It's battery powered and transmits all the time. The Feasycom one "claims" to have a six year battery. As a side benefit, they can also help you find those things when they slip into your couch during a 5-hour Netflix binge.
                To this point, they are working as seamlessly as the the BP-109's in my vehicles.

Comment

I like it! Have a Sedna here collecting dust may play around with it. So is it using BLE or just Bluetooth 4?

Comment

BLE

Comment

I need to confess, although I use Michael plugin for node-red, I'm still confused with it but it is just me. I have all HS3 and etc on a VM Vsphere machine. Can you share some examples on how you see the values from the BLE to Michael plugin?

Happy holidays

Comment

Section 12.5 of the manual shows the steps. How you looked at it for guidance?

Comment

Michael, I scanned it thru but I forgot about this one. I will read it again in more details. Thanks

Comment

It's a massively powerful tool that all I use it for is BT presence sensing. From memory (which ain't so great)...and I'm not 100% clear on what you are looking for...
                            • I simply turn on beacon discovery on the TCP beacon tab
                            • Once it's found the beacon I'm looking for turn discovery back off
                            • Delete anything I don't want by placing a check in the "o" column and deleting on the MQTT tab
                            • It creates devices that I rename appropriately (I do copy any past their hex address into the Alexa voice command field so I can save it and will never need Alexa for it)
                            • Then it's nothing more that creating events. Currently, mine are pretty much all for vehicle arrival and departure. -1 and 0 work well for that vs actual RSSI levels
                            • I have a couple FOB like devices that I will use for other things...like if I walk up to the front door to unlock it
                            • I have a Tile Pro in my wife's car so I know how to set other routines for presence when one or both of us are gone
                            • I'll play with varying RSSI levels for maybe things like room occupancy
                            • I haven't don this yet, but I may push a couple USB ports from my HS4 server with some Ethernet USB extenders I already have to put BT USB sensor in a couple rooms so that it knows what room I in. The problem with that is I'd probably need to carry a FOB. iPhones randomize their BT address for security and I've yet to figure out how to really directly incorporate them w/out something like the Geofency app.

Comment

Thank you both. Funny fact, one, getting old, two Michael plugin is for rocket scientist (This is a compliment Michael) and very intimidating so I was trying to follow thru the 410 pages and ts1234 and in my mind I was thinking, I'm too old for this s.... but normally I do not give up so easily, try to read over and over to see if I make any sense of what others are writing. I think, I finally realized that the documentation above was meant for HS4 :-)
                              P.S. The BLE and the beacon is a beauty itself, I read Michael talking about it in the past, one day I really would like to find my location in the room of the house, I think open lot of possibilities. I need to update to HS4 soon :-( Again, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                              X