Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mcsMQTT Feature Request

Michael,

After using this to interface with BT/BLE devices for a few weeks now, I think a couple things might make this even more adaptable/flexible for interfacing with both different types of BT devices and use cases. The settings I'll be referring to are these...
    • The plugin currently allows the value passed to HS4 for the BT device it is monitoring to be set to constantly report the actual varying RSSI from -1 to +129, or report only in and out of range using a -1 or 0.
    • There is also a setting for how long a BT device takes to change to being marked in HS4 as being out of range by setting the “Out of Range Timeout Seconds” parameter.
    Both are GREAT features to be able to tweak things that you added recently (thanks). The value-add improvement I’m suggesting would be to make these settings available on a per device vs. global basis. I'll use a couple of examples try to clarify why.
    • The USB based BT devices in my vehicles need to appear as on or off so that their fluctuation does not trigger events falsely. Setting the global parameter to only report -1 for off and 0 for anything -1 to 126 fixes that issue. That is awesome but turns off the ability to trigger events based on things like a signal becoming stronger or make a choice between being closer to one BT device than another. RSSI seems a little hard to track perfectly but I'd think differentiating between under 20 and over 80 is probably realistic.
    • When writing events that trigger when a device goes out of range completely, detection speed of that drop often matters. For several of my events, setting the "Out of Range Timeout Seconds" to 10 seconds works best. Being able to tweak that is awesome, but then since it is a global setting any battery powered devices constantly toggle on/off the device representing it in HS4 since they themselves are always fluctuating between on and off. That makes events which monitor their presence tougher to write and increases both device state change churn and events constantly rerunning. The event running issues can be reduced, but I am thinking that HS4 must still constantly spend cycles evaluating the triggers to be false and not running.
    To sum this up, making both the Out of Range Timeout Seconds and the choice between a device reporting “Update HS Device Value with RSSI” or “Set HS Device Value to 0 when Beacon in range” a per device feature vs being globally set for any device would be a real value-add. This would greatly add to the ease of use and flexibility of your (already awesome) plugin.

The update is at http://mcsSprinklers.com/HSPI_mcsMQTT_5_9_5_0.zip

The manual is updated, but all you should need to know it to click on the Association tab Ref button for the beacon you want to modify to bring up Edit tab. Near the bottom you will see the two settings that can be customized for that specific beacon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	45
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	1436155

Comment

OK, this is unbelievable! There must be 12 of you Michael! I've lost count of the times I've used the word "awesome" to describe your responses. Thanks once again!

Comment

Couldn't agree more. Great plugin. Great support.

​​​​​​When are you taking over HStouch dev & support?

​​
        ​​​

Comment

Working...
        X