WLED 0.12 + multi-channel LED strip support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WLED 0.12 + multi-channel LED strip support

Hi Michael, will install WLED for testing purposes later this summer and wondering if MCSMQTT+WLED offer the correct support for my use case. Not installed yet so still reading/learning.

With the latest version (0.12) multi-channel is now supported (seems like Tasmota only offer one WS2812 instance per ESP). What I'd like to do is to use three different ws2812 / ws2811 (short, less than 5m) led strips and control them separately from a single Wemos D1 mini on three separate GPIOs.

It seems feasible from a hardware/WLED perspective

https://quinled.info/2021/03/21/wled...e-for-quinled/

the intent would be to create separate HS touch controls for each strip (color/brightness/effects/etc) via MQTT and virtual HS controls.

Do you foresee any issues with this setup?

I know I can use 3 controllers/ESP with stock Tasmota or WLED, but trying to optimize hardware usage.

Let me know what you think.

I loaded WLED 0.12.1-b1 (latest ESP8266 binary) and configured two strips on pins 2 and 1. One 140 LED and one 9 LED. The configuration looks like a strip of 149 LED. I set it up as two segments.0f 9 and 140 LED. I was able to control on/off each of the two segments. I was able to control the default pin 2 segment color, brightness and effect. I had no control (other than power) of the pin 1 LEDs. They were flashing in a random color and pattern.

Using the WLED browser interface only the power control functioned. If I removed the two segments I then had color and brightness control of pin 2 strip, but the pin 3 strip continued random pattern.

I looked at the Wiki and it recommended ESP32 over ESP8266 for multiple pin operation. It did indicate ESP8266 was tested with two strips of 512 LEDs so my test was well within the expected range. I did not try it with ESP32. The multi-pin configuration was introduced recently in 0.12 configuration so I doubt if there is much user use at this time.

Conceptually what you want to do should be able to be done, but my testing did not get the desired result. I had better performance with ESP32 in the past.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and test report Michael.
      Fyi, I had some issues in the past with ESP8266 pin 1-2 as they are held low on boot which *seems* to interfere with Neopixel strips.
      Changing GPIO solved it for me.
      Maybe worth a try on other pins if available.
      Will order new boards (Wemos mini pro + ESP32 ) and report back once tested.
      Thx

Comment

Ok, after hours of reading + trial and error, I finally managed to get multi segments working (ESP32 + WS2811 12V 60leds/m; 146 pixels in 3 segments (49+82+15)); 20 amps PSU)

If anyone needs detailed feedback on hardware setup/wiring, feel free to reach out but the key with WLED is a good level shifter (TXS0102 or SN74AHCT125N) + short wire from MCU to first led. Waiting to receive a new Wemos D1 Mini-pro, will test as well.

If you need a long wire from MCU to your pixels, a "sacrificial pixel" is the only approach which worked flawlessly for me; IE: deploy a single pixel at short wire range, then add a data wire extension, then the remaining pixels. Level shifter required as well. The first pixel can be disabled/skipped via WLED interface.

Other setups were either not working at all or flickering was always noticeable to some degree.

Also managed to configure everything in McsMQTT;
        main controls work (presets, on/off + brightness; controls all pixels)
        all other main features (color, fx, etc.) only control the first segment
        WLED doesn't report/respond to sub-segment controls (1,2,3 subtopics).

Click image for larger version  Name:	wled2.PNG Views:	0 Size:	13.6 KB ID:	1487165

Click image for larger version  Name:	wled.PNG Views:	0 Size:	190.5 KB ID:	1487164

Any advice on how to troubleshoot?
        Thanks!

Comment

What is your WLED firmware version?

The main string is controlled via MQTT. The segments are controlled via HTTP at the URL http://IP/json where IP is the IP of the ESP32. I currently do not have debug in the control stream but can add it. I can also setup a test with ESP32 and a couple segments.

Comment

V 0.12.0 (build 2104020)
            Available to provide testing and debug.
            Thanks Michael.

Comment

forgot something important; pixels are also split over 2 GPIOs as they had different color order (1=ws2811 12v BRG, 2=ws2812 5v GRB)

Click image for larger version

Name:	wled3.PNG
Views:	1764
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	1487169
              Click image for larger version

Name:	wled4.PNG
Views:	1785
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	1487170

Comment

should be an interesting test ground for multiple use cases

Comment

Copy/Paste error going from HS4 to HS3. HS3 version still has debug for commanding segments. The update is at http://mcsSprinklers.com/MCSMQTT_51733.zip.

I still have the same hardware behavior where my pin 1 (GPIO 1) strip that contains 9 LEDs does not respond to commands but just blinks with random colors. The communications with plugin works, but the hardware does not. Same when I command from the WLED browser UI. Hopefully you will have better success. I am configured with pin 1 as the short strip with LED starting at index 0. Pin 2 has 9 to 149. I think I tried swapping strips when I first tested this for you some weeks back with similar results. When I configure with only pin 2 strip and two segments then both segments illuminate as commanded from HS.

Comment

Thanks Michael, will test and get back to you;

Btw, using the WLED interface, every feature works as expected. I guess just some fine tuning required to align with the JSON API.

just blinks with random colors
                    For me, this symptom has systematically been related to hardware issues. the WLED/neopixels combo is very capricious when it comes to data wiring/voltage/grounding and, for my use case, requires both a level shifter and short MCU to first led wire. Tasmota has very limited WS2811 features but Isn't as finicky.

Still the WLED platform features and flexibility are well worth it.

​​​​​​Stay tuned, will be back with testing results.

Thx again

Comment

We're almost there, Everything works except the following (based on segments config above)

Main topic controls segment 0 (except for on/off brightness which controls all segments)
                      subTopic 1 - controls segment 1
                      subTopic 2 - controls segment 2
                      subTopic 3 - not functional

If I add an extra segment (0 being all pixels 0-146; segment 1: 0-49; segment 2: 49-131; segment 3 - 131-146)
                      I get this:

Main topic not functional (except for on/off brightness which controls all segments) *Duplicate pixels/segments doesn't seem to be allowed as it doesn't work in WLED either*
                      subTopic 1 - controls segment 0
                      subTopic 2 - controls segment 1
                      subTopic 3 - controls segment 2

If possible, behavior should be:

Main topic : all segments
                      subTopic 1 - controls segment 0 (or could be renamed subTopic 0 to reflect segments)
                      subTopic 2 - controls segment 1 (or could be renamed subTopic 1 to reflect segments)
                      subTopic 3 - controls segment 2 (or could be renamed subTopic 2 to reflect segments)

Let me know what you think,
                      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 123qweasd View Post
                        Ok, after hours of reading + trial and error, I finally managed to get multi segments working (ESP32 + WS2811 12V 60leds/m; 146 pixels in 3 segments (49+82+15)); 20 amps PSU)

If anyone needs detailed feedback on hardware setup/wiring, feel free to reach out but the key with WLED is a good level shifter (TXS0102 or SN74AHCT125N) + short wire from MCU to first led. Waiting to receive a new Wemos D1 Mini-pro, will test as well.

If you need a long wire from MCU to your pixels, a "sacrificial pixel" is the only approach which worked flawlessly for me; IE: deploy a single pixel at short wire range, then add a data wire extension, then the remaining pixels. Level shifter required as well. The first pixel can be disabled/skipped via WLED interface.
                        Curious if you've tried any of the other 12V chips on the LED strip? I stock GS8206 based LED digital strips. It sounds like you guys are working through interfacing type (software/hardware) issues, but if you think the 2811/12 IC may have some bearing, let me know. I could always drop a sample in the mail if someone wanted to try them.

FYI: https://www.creativelightings.com/Dr...5m-12v-rgb.htm

DTP

Comment

Originally posted by DTPerk View Post

Curious if you've tried any of the other 12V chips on the LED strip? I stock GS8206 based LED digital strips. It sounds like you guys are working through interfacing type (software/hardware) issues, but if you think the 2811/12 IC may have some bearing, let me know. I could always drop a sample in the mail if someone wanted to try them.

FYI: https://www.creativelightings.com/Dr...5m-12v-rgb.htm

DTP
                          Now that I'm familiar with proper WS2811/12 hardware configuration, not sure if I would benefit from a different strip type;
                          I tend to standardize on the most common/supported hardware:

https://github.com/Aircoookie/WLED/w...tible-hardware
                          https://www.thesmarthomehookup.com/t...le-led-strips/

did a quick Google search, the GS8206 doesn't seem too common;
                          I can see some of the benefits but can't justify the 10x markup

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000005551112.html

Comment

Originally posted by 123qweasd View Post

Now that I'm familiar with proper WS2811/12 hardware configuration, not sure if I would benefit from a different strip type;
                            I tend to standardize on the most common/supported hardware:

https://github.com/Aircoookie/WLED/w...tible-hardware
                            https://www.thesmarthomehookup.com/t...le-led-strips/

did a quick Google search, the GS8206 doesn't seem too common;
                            I can see some of the benefits but can't justify the 10x markup

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000005551112.html
                            Totally understand. I was offering a short segment gratis (off an open/new reel we have in the shop) if you were thinking the control IC might have something to do with the setup. It's just an alternative 12V option. Of course the price on the website is a 'retail' price - Our client base is not very cost conscious, but they are quality driven.

Good luck with the project!
                            DTP

Comment

DTPerk : PM sent, thx

Comment

Working...
                              X