Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonoff device keeps going offline

Hi all,

I have a sonoff device modified to work with Michael's awesome plugin, but recently it keeps going offline (flashing blue light). A power cycle brings it back online. I added a WiFi plugin to power it so I could easily manually cycle power, but now after a few weeks it is dropping off several times s day.

I've seen similar complaints online with no real resolution. I just wondered if anyone here has ideas? If I have to replace, is there a more reliable device since this one barely made it a year. Thanks!

I characterize this more of a wifi network problem than a device problem, but then I also have one that exhibits similar behavior. My solution was similar yo yours where a fire an event to toggle a wifi plug when message not received for a timeout period.

Wifi is location dependent. Sensitive to interference. Consumer wifi routers cannot handle a large number of simultaneous connections.

I started with Sonoff and now tend to use Wemos D1 mini for projects. Also some generic ESP32 development boards. Some provide external antennae to provide better wifi connection.

Comment

Here utilize Ruckus AP's with dedicated to Tasmota SSIDs. Ruckus APs is more commercial than consumer.

Just recently added two switches (Martin Jerry ESP dimmers modded to Tasmota) to neighbors house (now another Sandbox here...they are retired and I am helping them all the time). Note that the Martin Jerry switches are in metal 4 X 4 gang boxes...

I have added two Alexa devices and they like them. (they are in their 80's).

So here is one switch from the neighbors house connecting to my Ruckus AP...

AP1 SSId (RSSI) ICS-Tasmota (72%, -64 dBm) 11n
      Hostname DeckCoachLamps
      MAC Address A4:E5:7C:1A:07:20
      IP Address (wifi) 192.168.244.251

I did purchase a dedicated WAP for them and have it installed but have not switched over yet.

Here is Michaels combo Sonoff GDO button, status and temperature sensor in the garage...same Ruckus WAPs

AP1 SSId (RSSI) ICS-Tasmota (90%, -55 dBm) 11n
      Hostname GDO1
      MAC Address 2C:3A:E8:44:BD:AC
      IP Address (wifi) 192.168.244.220
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

@jryan15

What does the info page show for AP1 relating to WLAN signal percentage and DB value for problematic Sonoff Device. Please copy and post here.

The Garage GDO combo Sonoff basic is generation one which Michael documented a few years back.

In house #2 with same Ruckus AP and a few in wall wireless switches in metal double gang boxes have no issues with signals from front to back and sides of house and outside Landscaping lighting switch.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hi guys, thanks very much for your comments. If nothing else works out, I could be ok to look into a new developmental board, but I would hate to be a bother for guidance on getting it set up. Here is a screenshot of the information page from the router. If the signal looks good to you, I might try moving the box to a different location at least see if the drop outs stop. The problem is that if I move out of this central location, the unit doesn't have enough range for all my sensors.

Attached Files

Comment

Signal looks good. There is a new update now for Tasmota. Not sure if that would help. Wireless is willy nilly. It could be anything causing a drop out. Stuff like what Michael mentions above and Microwave's and noisy motors....

Guessing you read this Tasmota WiFi FAQ.

Maybe replacing it with same said Tasmota device?
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

That RF bridge has notoriously weak Tx but, in this case, I suspect the device is just failing. Since I value my time more than a $15 Sonoff device, I'd just get another one and toss that one if the new one doesn't have the same problem in the same spot.
              "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Hi all, sorry to resurrect my old post, but my sonoff bridge finally bit the dust. Is there any recommendations for the easiest out of the box replacement? I recall having to do ckt board work to modify the last one. I'd prefer not to have to mod the replacement. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Comment

The Software Define Radio (SDR) with rtl_433 is what I use. https://github.com/merbanan/rtl_433. https://www.amazon.com/RTL-SDR-Blog-.../dp/B0BMKZCKTF or from AliExpress for half that price. mcsMQTT.pdf describes its use with mcsMQTT.

I do agree with you that the programming of the Sonoff is a bit involved.

Comment

I was never able to get my SDR setup working reliably. I tried with both a Sonoff RM433 and also an X10 palm pad, of course, not in the same setup. I even purchased an updated antenna set, thinking that might help.

I agree that the mod for the RF bridge is more than an S31, but it isn't too difficult.
                    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

I use both SDR and Sonoff RF Bridge;
                      both work well but they have a different set of supported devices/protocols;
                      better check what you want to decode first and how well it is supported.

Strong preference for OMG on the RF Bridge (much larger set of protocols supported)

https://1technophile.blogspot.com/20...or-how-to.html

FYI, for the same device, SDR response time is a little slower than the RFBridge, so I tend to use the RF Bridge for Motion/Door/Smoke/Leak and SDR mainly for Weather stations.

X10 is supported on SDR - but after some testing I've concluded that X10 motion sensor signal reliability was really poor;
                      maybe remotes are better but IMO X10 RF devices are not worth keeping vs newer/more reliable devices (RF,Zigbee,BLE,etc.)

Comment

Personally here too have a couple of SDR set ups and the Tasmota RF bridge.

SDR is being using for a Lightning to MQTT bridge and for NOAA Satellite map downloading.

Using the Tasmota RF bridge for only outdoor motion detectors and it been working fine for me.

As mentioned above I would suggest replacing the Tasmota RF bridge. You might have better luck with a new one.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Solved!. So after a year or two of having my sonoff shut off 1 to 3 times a day, I've come across a solution. This forum link described how to create a rule in the sonoff so that when it loses wifi, it will wait for a few minutes and reboot the system. So far it has been working very well.

If I recall, it is as simple as copying the several lines below and pasting it as a block into the sonoff console which establishes the new rule 1, You can type rule0 to see the list of rules and to verify it was entered correctly.

Code:
                          rule1
                          on Wifi#Disconnected do backlog
                          delay 3000 ;
                          restart 1;
                          endon
                          on Wifi#Connected do backlog
                          endon
                          rule1 1​
                          God bless!

Comment

Working...