Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature request: Monitor Local > GW1000 connection

Michael,

I'm periodically finding all my Ecowitt / mcsMQTT devices stale and not being updated. A restart of the plugin fixes the problem. I could create an event to monitor device value changes and restart the plugin using Jon00's PI utility, but I wonder if the PI might be able to monitor the connection internally and reset it without requiring a restart of the full plugin? I realize I've not given you anything to go on as to the cause of the problem, and as of now I have no idea other than possibly the GW1100 losing wifi connection or some such. Not sure why it wouldn't be able to resume reporting to the PI, though. This morning I became aware all of my Ecowitt devices had stopped reporting last evening at 7:22pm, and there is nothing unusual in the log around that time--in fact nothing logged at all within the prior few minutes. I restarted the PI and all is well again.

I've enabled debug logging in the PI and will forward the file when it happens again.

Thank you.
    -Wade

Added to 5.23.9.5 with a 10 minute timeout. No data received then listener removed and restarted. Tested to confirm normal operation. I did not test the timeout scenario but uses similar logic that existed for disconnect/connect control.

File is at bottom of first post at mcsMQTT Change Log (HS4 & HS3) - HomeSeer Message Board
    Unzip into \bin\mcsMQTT folder of HS. Restart plugin. Version number update will be visible on General Tab of MQTT Page in first header. HS version number for the plugin will not change.

Comment

Great, thank you!

Will there be a log entry associated with the listener being restarted?
      -Wade

Comment

I had the log entry in the code, but commented-it out after then initial integration. I can add it back in. Should I put it in the HS log or in the debug log?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
          I had the log entry in the code, but commented-it out after then initial integration. I can add it back in. Should I put it in the HS log or in the debug log?
          I think warning in the HS log seems appropriate.
          -Wade

Comment

I added the log entry as well as a user-specified timeout minutes. Version is the same location at 5.23.10.0. I did test the timeout by unplugging the GW1000 and timeout of 1 minute. Results in the log look like below with the initial start and then two restarts.

Code:
            [LEFT][FONT=B612 Mono][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Roboto][SIZE=16px]3/24/2022 11:18:20 AM [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT="B612 Mono"]Legacy-Plugin [/FONT][FONT="B612 Mono"]mcsMQTT  [/FONT][FONT="B612 Mono"]ReStart Listening for GW1000 at 0.0.0.0:8080[/FONT][/LEFT]
              [LEFT][FONT=B612 Mono][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Roboto][SIZE=16px]3/24/2022 11:17:17 AM [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT="B612 Mono"]Legacy-Plugin [/FONT][FONT="B612 Mono"]mcsMQTT [/FONT][FONT="B612 Mono"]ReStart Listening for GW1000 at 0.0.0.0:8080[/FONT][/LEFT]
              [LEFT][FONT=B612 Mono][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Roboto][SIZE=16px]3/24/2022 11:14:10 AM [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT="B612 Mono"]Legacy-Plugin [/FONT][FONT="B612 Mono"]mcsMQTT [/FONT][FONT="B612 Mono"]Start Listening for GW1000 at 0.0.0.0:8080[/FONT][/LEFT]

Comment

Installed, tested and working well. Thank you for adding this capability.
              -Wade

Comment

Wade How often was this happening for you? I'm seeing it every 15 minutes. Seems like a good opportunity to collect info and debug it.
                "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
                  Wade How often was this happening for you? I'm seeing it every 15 minutes. Seems like a good opportunity to collect info and debug it.
                  See below for restarts since I installed the update on the 24th. The 4 entries below the red line are tests while timeout was set to 1 minute and GW1100 unplugged. I then powered up the GW1100 and set the timeout to 5 minutes. There have been 6 restarts since then.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1534742
                  -Wade

Comment

Thanks Wade. I just updated from 5.23.9.4 to 5.23.13.0 and set the timeout to 2 mins. Let's see what happens next.
                    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

I made a discovery showing that if an internet (cloud) connection does not exist, then the GW1000 will not communicate to the Customized (local network) weather service. I had internet outage for two days and received the restart message in the log every 20 minutes during this period. Monitoring was setup for 10 minutes. The message was no longer produced after internet was restored and normal HS device updated occurred thereafter.

Apparently Ecowitt needs to call home in the sky periodically for it to function

Other than this period I have never seen the restarting message. Before monitoring was added I continued to have the GW1000 data in HS updated without ever needing a restart.

Comment

Dang it. You NAILED IT. It wasn't an internet outage. It was self-inflicted. As a part of the change over from Jim's Listener to mcsMQTT, I went into the GW1000 setup and turned off the ecowitt.net updating. Turned it back on and things are running smoothly again.

Comment

Working...
                        X